Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Open Gastric Sleeve

I am having gastric sleeve done Oct. 3rd. Previously had band, so many complications, leaking, tube breakage, tubing enstrngking bowel, on and on. Band was removed with open surgery vs. Laparoscopic and sleeve the same. I hav many many adhesions!

Any experience with open surgery?

Thanks

Band 2/2012 and removed 1/2015 because of slippage. Will be sleeved 10/23, I'm so excited!

@RiaRia I was banded in 2006 had five surgeries because of band complications had it removed in May 2015. Sleeve Oct 3 happy nervous scared excited. Lots of adhesions so all were done open. What about you?

I had band remove 7 years ago do to erosion and infection that got sepsis I'm now sleeve one month post op !!! And loving it [emoji4]

Dodo64 my band slipped, my doctored opened it and removed it 2 months after he opened it. He said he couldn't reposition it and I had scar tissue. I'm happy, scared and nervous at the same time as well. Your day is right around the corner. I'll keep you in my prayers for no complications and a speedy recovery.

Thanks RiaRia I have so much scar tissue it is an issue. I appreciate your kind words!

Kind of shocking that they had to do a lap band removal open (I get doing the port open, but the whole band?)

Ive seen severely corroded and eroded lap bands where the stomach was strangulated and they were still removed laparoscopic, while repairing the stomach (also laparoscopic) all in one shot.

If youre going to get an open sleeve, I would make sure you are going to somebody who specializes in them and does them fairly often. Just for reference I work in a hospital that does 1000 + bariatric cases a year and have never seen one go open. So its not common, so I strongly encourage you to go to someone who does these often, and isnt doing one open for the first time in 5 years.

Also doing an open band removal is much more simple than an open bariatric case. Matter of fact the only open bariatric case ive ever seen was an open gastric bypass revision (more of an emergency kind of thing) and I would never want to have that

What does all done "open" means?

6 minutes ago, RiaRia said:

What does all done "open" means?

Open surgery means its not laparscopic. As in instead of making several tiny little cuts in you the size of a quarter or smaller using cameras and scopes (Laparscopic) they do it open instead. Open as in they cut you completely open (youre talking a huge scar like 1 feet give or take) and perform the surgery that way without cameras or scopes.

Its rare for bariatric surgery to be performed that way, I imagine its done only under the most complicated of circumstances. Ive only seen it once, and its not pretty.

Edited by Mhy12784

Ooooh ok, jeez that doesn't sound like an easy healing process either. 😔

@Mhy12784 I had my band placed during an open procedure as well. I have had approximately 15 abdominal surgeries and when he did my band he said the adhesions are like cement blocks. When they removed my band the surgeon and his team need two hours for them to release the adhesion srom stomach and liver. I am complicated case surgeon will try laparoscopic but is not too optimistic. Dr. Cobourn has done thousands of surgeries, I trust him with my life.