Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Different doctors

So, I am required to go to my primary doctor (9/27) and that's when I'll bring up bariatric surgery for the first time.

My BMI currently is just about 40. The last 7 years it's been above 35 but below 40.

I have chronic gastritis (unsure if "officially" diagnosed or not) and pre diabetes.

As I said, I have to see my primary. Do my 6 month diet with my primary. Then be referred to the surgeons office for my surgery.

My problem is:

Will insurance use my initial weigh in with my primary? Or with the surgeons office?

Today my BMI is sitting at 40.6 but last night it went down to 40.0

So it varies a lot.

The only things I've seen on here, is they go by the first weigh in people had with surgeon, but it seems people are also doing the 6 month diet with the surgeon as well. Which is both confusing and scaring me.

I've tried everything, but recently stopped my diet and exercise to make sure I hit the 40 BMI for my appt.

If I fall below 40 I don't think I have enough comorbidities that are actually diagnosed. My last doctor was very lazy about that. She would suggest that I have this or that. But never officially diagnose me.

Examples: Acid Reflux, gastritis(chronic), sleep apnea, depression(which I believe is worsening due to my weight)

My only official diagnosis is depression/anxiety, and acute asthma.

So "officially" my only co-morbidity is depression which insurance may not consider a co-morbidity.

Any have to do diet plan with primary and drop below 40 and still get approved?

I plan to ask my doctor this as well.

So, I am required to go to my primary doctor (9/27) and that's when I'll bring up bariatric surgery for the first time.
My BMI currently is just about 40. The last 7 years it's been above 35 but below 40.
I have chronic gastritis (unsure if "officially" diagnosed or not) and pre diabetes.
As I said, I have to see my primary. Do my 6 month diet with my primary. Then be referred to the surgeons office for my surgery.

My problem is:
Will insurance use my initial weigh in with my primary? Or with the surgeons office?
Today my BMI is sitting at 40.6 but last night it went down to 40.0
So it varies a lot.

The only things I've seen on here, is they go by the first weigh in people had with surgeon, but it seems people are also doing the 6 month diet with the surgeon as well. Which is both confusing and scaring me.
I've tried everything, but recently stopped my diet and exercise to make sure I hit the 40 BMI for my appt.

If I fall below 40 I don't think I have enough comorbidities that are actually diagnosed. My last doctor was very lazy about that. She would suggest that I have this or that. But never officially diagnose me.
Examples: Acid Reflux, gastritis(chronic), sleep apnea, depression(which I believe is worsening due to my weight)

My only official diagnosis is depression/anxiety, and acute asthma.

So "officially" my only co-morbidity is depression which insurance may not consider a co-morbidity.

Any have to do diet plan with primary and drop below 40 and still get approved?
I plan to ask my doctor this as well.

Hi..

I believe 35 is the lowest ur bmi can be. Your surgeon will require some further testing and usually one of them os for sleep apnea. And upper gi series which will determine acid reflux and other possible conditjons. Most surgeons offer a seminar. My primary really gave me a hard time when it came to giving mr a referal for a bariatric surgeon even thos my bmi is 52 with no other health conditions beside minor acid reflux. Even after he gave me the referral he is reluctant to give me any referals for any doc appointments the surgeon is requiring..

Find a good surgeon and ask as many questions as possible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I started with the surgeon (BMI 40) ... I was looking for a primary doctor, my surgeons office referred me to my new primary doctor I did a new patient intake and I told my primary doctor that day that I wanted to get surgery.. I have a pre-op clearance visit with my primary doctor on 9/25...