Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At what point is insurance contacted?

So far I have went to a new patients group meeting and I have my meeting with the head of the weight loss surgery dept in a week... At what point do they go thru the approval process? I have BCBS-IL.

The reason I ask is currently have PPO+ and I would have to pay almost 3k out of pocket, but we can change our health plan for 2018 and if I switch to PPO+ Premier, I would have no co-pay but a higher monthly cost by only 135

I dont have the same ins as you-i have aetna but ins wasnt contacted until after I completed all tests and appointments. Started 4/13 submitted 7/13

Thank you!

I'm actually a little surprised that this isn't a frequent topic or maybe only my work lets us change ppo level every year?

I am pre op going thru the hoops. I have BCBS IL Teamcare. It is PPO. It doesn't state plus or premier on my card. But through my husbands work UPS they don't get a choice as far as I know.

Maybe my work is different where we can change our health/dental/vision coverage every year.. I thought this was normal but I guess not!

Maybe my work is different where we can change our health/dental/vision coverage every year.. I thought this was normal but I guess not!

It is pretty normal-every year we can change between the plans my company offers. Just keep in mind that if you have co ins and deductibles the ball rolls overs at the start of the new year and everything goes back to zero. So for example in my case i wanted surgery done this year-i had already maxed out my deductibles and co ins back in march due to an accident so every appt i had after was covered 100 percent. And i wanted to take advantage of that-i didnt pay a dime for anything related to getting my surgery. I do plan to change next year though.