Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalls are frustrating. Slower than anticipated weight loss is frustrating. Patience takes a lot of work!

I'm 12 weeks out and "only" down 32 lbs. I just knew because I was doing so well pre op that I would have a lot faster weight loss post op. 10+ pounds a month is great but I had expectations of greater loss in these first few months.
I'm down 83 lbs total in the 9 months since I met with my surgeon. If I keep up at 10 lbs a month that is 113 lbs lost in a year. That would be awesome!
You are not alone with the frustration.
I take joy in getting rid of clothes that don't fit and buying "new" clothes (goodwill and eBay mostly). I get very excited about the non scale victories like seatbelts fitting and running up a flight of stairs. Heck even doing lunges at gym with my trainer gets me excited (they are so much easier! Still a challenge but I really struggled 50 lbs ago!)
Good luck and keep at it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, JohnnyCakes said:

do not defend Al Roker. he is not one of us.

omg...lmao

Stalls are part of the process. A sleeve is like stair steps down with landings you rest on for a bit. I was a very slow loser; it took 17 months to reach my initial goal with several 3, 6 and a 9 week stall on the way. It's not a race, it's a process. Frustrating at times, but ultimately leading to goal and success.

We simply won't lose every day or week. But we can lose sizes or inches when the scale isn't budging. And in the end, getting to goal and maintaining your good habits and staying there will be far more important than how quickly you got there. We want results early on, we're anxious for them, because we're making huge changes in our lifestyle. Your body will catch up. You will lose. But it's not going to happen in a straight line or at an even pace.

Good luck and congrats on your loss thus far. Cement your habits in the loss phase and work on eliminating behaviors that will compromise maintenance later, like emotional eating and grazing. This is far more important than your rate of loss. Trust me.

2 hours ago, clk said:

Stalls are part of the process. A sleeve is like stair steps down with landings you rest on for a bit. I was a very slow loser; it took 17 months to reach my initial goal with several 3, 6 and a 9 week stall on the way. It's not a race, it's a process. Frustrating at times, but ultimately leading to goal and success.

We simply won't lose every day or week. But we can lose sizes or inches when the scale isn't budging. And in the end, getting to goal and maintaining your good habits and staying there will be far more important than how quickly you got there. We want results early on, we're anxious for them, because we're making huge changes in our lifestyle. Your body will catch up. You will lose. But it's not going to happen in a straight line or at an even pace.

Good luck and congrats on your loss thus far. Cement your habits in the loss phase and work on eliminating behaviors that will compromise maintenance later, like emotional eating and grazing. This is far more important than your rate of loss. Trust me.

great post. :1312_thumbsup_tone3:

Just be patient and keep practicing good eating and lifestyle habits. It'll end eventually, especially this early in your surgery.

I'm about 3 months out now and have been stuck on the same 2lbs for the past 3 weeks. I think my stall finally ended this weekend though (fingers crossed)!

As for planning to be under 200 on a certain date...it's great that you have a goal and I hope you get there. But if you don't, don't put too much value in it. It's just a number. You're going to get there, but your body might have plans for how long it takes!

Sometimes I feel like I am the exception here. I have not stalled for more than 3 days in the first three months. I have had one week where I lost just over a pound, but that's it.

I am averaging a 3-4 lb weight loss each week (not including the fast drop after the first two weeks on liquids).

When I calculate my estimated calories needed and my calories consumed the calorie deficit matches the average weight loss almost exactly.

In addition the pattern has not changed. No weight change for two to three days then a drop between 1-2 lbs. Except for the one week where I lost only 1.2 lbs.

I am not complaining or worried but wonder if I am the exception here. Every 4-5 days I spike my calories up by adding carbs (to approx 1000) and on other days eat 700-800 calories.

Any others not stalling in the first 6 months?

1 minute ago, Kat410 said:

Sometimes I feel like I am the exception here. I have not stalled for more than 3 days in the first three months. I have had one week where I lost just over a pound, but that's it.

I am averaging a 3-4 lb weight loss each week (not including the fast drop after the first two weeks on liquids).

When I calculate my estimated calories needed and my calories consumed the calorie deficit matches the average weight loss almost exactly.

In addition the pattern has not changed. No weight change for two to three days then a drop between 1-2 lbs. Except for the one week where I lost only 1.2 lbs.

I am not complaining or worried but wonder if I am the exception here. Every 4-5 days I spike my calories up by adding carbs (to approx 1000) and on other days eat 700-800 calories.

Any others not stalling in the first 6 months?

When I had my surgery, I was great. No pain. No nausea. Able to hold food down, able to walk and move around without any problem. I haven't noticed any change in my sense of taste, and I can still eat almost anything without digestion issues.

I asked my doctor about this and was told "everyone's body is different. You got lucky."

I say the same to you. Everyone is different. You got lucky and haven't hit any road blocks yet. That's FANTASTIC! You're probably the exception, but everyone works differently, so be happy that things are going so smoothly. And let us be incredibly jealous of you. ;)

On 8/17/2017 at 11:07 AM, sleevedshereen said:

I'm just going to trust the process. I've been stuck at 203 for over two weeks now. Monday I weighed in at 201.7 but then it went back up. I've been stuck at 203 but people have noticed I look slimmer. I'm just telling myself that even though the scale isn't going down and it's been weeks, it doesn't mean my body isn't changing. I'm trying to up my Protein and liquids and hopefully this stall will break soon. I know i'm on the "lighter weight" side so it isn't going to come off as quickly but man...over 2 weeks of this stall...it's a little hard to deal with and stressful and I'm getting nervous that I might not lose anymore weight but I'm just keeping hope that this stall will break soon enough.

I know how you feel! I've been going up and down from 199.1 to 201.7 for a little over two weeks. I too was am starting to stress about it. I was about to start a thread about it when I saw this thread and your post. I'm hoping it's just a stall which seems pretty common around 6 months out.

@jmar I'm just feeling discouraged because I'm only a little over a month out from surgery and I see people talking about losing 4 lbs a week and i'm stuck in a stall of almost 3 weeks. I'm just scared i'm not gonna lose weight...like what if it doesn't come off...what if i'm done. It just seems abnormal that i'm not losing weight and people are having it melt off each week.

On 8/17/2017 at 9:40 AM, bcl1628 said:

I hate talking about (or even hearing people complaining about) weight loss stalls or plateaus. Know that I am not a complainer, and I understand and appreciate that there will be stalls along the journey. However, mine have come early, and I'm pissed.

About me: Male, HW: 270, SW: 245, CW: 222, Surgery Date: 6/28/17. I'm 1 month and 20 days out. The scale has been stuck for a week. I exercise 4-5 days a week, eat trace amounts of sugar/carbs. I'm eating less than 1000 calories a day, and burning an excess 400 calories when I work out. Working out = pure cardio (walking and jogging).

I have set goals for myself to be under 200 lbs by October 31. At this rate, I'm getting a little depressed about it. And I know stalls are most likely to happen in month 3.

Any advice or suggestions on how to break the stall? Should I eat more (good) calories?

actually most people experience their first stall in WEEK 3 not month 3. so congrats on delaying yours so long. Stalls are broken by doing nothing but sticking to plan and waiting them out.

@sleevedshereen don't get discouraged I had a stall early on after surgery that freaked me out as well. It was around a month out. It will pass just keep following your plan and hitting your Protein and Water goals! Keep your head up!

9 minutes ago, jmar23 said:

@sleevedshereen don't get discouraged I had a stall early on after surgery that freaked me out as well. It was around a month out. It will pass just keep following your plan and hitting your Protein and Water goals! Keep your head up!

I'm about 5 months out and I've had 2 stalls now. One was about 4 weeks after surgery, one was the past 2 1/2 weeks. It finally broke though! Just keep following your diet and exercise regiment and you'll get through it!