Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So im 2 dsys post op with the bypass; still in the hospital. Evem if i take two sips of Water i tend to throw up foamies. Dr said im just one of the unlucky ones that my stomsch swelled and possibly not letting anything through. Any one with a similar experience?

[Hugs] Hopefully your swelling will go down soon. At least you are still in the hospital, so you are being taken care of.

Those foamies are the worse!!! I have had my share of them. I didn't have any problems right after my RNY and lost all my weight in 6 months. But....I had strictures (kind of like scar tissue. I had 5 Endoscopes with 4 dilations. I had tons of them and vomiting everything I took in. I couldn't even drink Water. It was an easy fix thank goodness. I'm so sorry this has happened to you it is very uncomfortable for sure. Hang in there. Good things are coming!!

From the surgeon's point of view I am a success. The weight has peeled off and he is happy that it has done so consistently since I had the Roux en Y operations in April 2017.

But from my point of view it has had major issues that have made life difficult. Every day since my surgery I have had the foamies.

I go through about 20 Emesis bags a week. That is for the major throw ups of foam. Or foam mixed with a couple of teaspoons of food.

Then there are the jumbo packs of tissues. One jumbo size pack of tissues daily to wipe away the slimy foam constantly rising up and coating my tongue and interfering with any attempt to eat anything.

I first serve a small serve of food (about a tablespoon on a small plate). I eat slowly and chew every teaspoon of food very thoroughly. I do not combine liquids and a meal. I am assured that yes some people do get it as bad I am experiencing but they hope it will settle down eventually. They really do not know. I have every procedure and test (and on more than once occasion too) to check for any blockage or any obstructions and there are none.

And I am completely sick of reading accounts that blame the victim of the foamies. Someone needs to fund a study into the foamies to establish what risk factors make it more likely a person will suffer the foamies. And then a study to find out how to effectively counteract the foamies. Because the slimy mucous foamies are horrible.

I accept that in order to be able to enjoy a meal I need to first clear my stomach of foam first. Hence the small serve of food eaten slowly and chewed well over a 30 minute duration. Within ten minutes after eating the small serve of food then I suffer the super fast vomiting (akin to projectile vomiting - it comes up so fast) That will help to empty the stomach. What comes up, with all the attached slimy foam is, in volume, far more than what I just ate. The bag fill up with mainly foam.

Then I allow a break and eventually serve another small serve of food. Most times I can keep this second serve down.

The really discouraging scenario if when I cannot keep the second serve down and it too all comes up.

I do not eat any form of bread as that is impossible to keep down.

In addition to food coming up I also bring up Fluid outside of the meal times. I sip Water or electrolyte drinks or some fruit juices in very small sips. Regularly throughout the day. But not closer than 45 minutes before or after a meal of food. My food serves are small.

The doctor is happy with my sustained weight loss and I have reached goal. But in relation to the vomit of slime, foamies and mucous from my stomach and the vomiting it is horrible. I am on 24 hours a day coverage (a tablet ever 8 hours ) for nausea and even that is not enough to stop the vomiting . Though the tablets have considerably reduced the level of vomiting. but not stopped the vomiting completely.

So all the medical researchers out there - please put some research projects together. No one understands how horrible are the foamies and lots of vomiting and mucous and slime coming out of one's mouth all the time.

Edited by Bekke 777
spelling error and a second spelling error

@Bekke 777 I'm so sorry to hear you struggle! Just out of curiosity, have you noticed if the foamies get worse after eating certain things or taking certain meds? Have you considered taking an antihistamine at night or maybe even adding zantac?

The reason I ask is that allergies and mucus are closely interrelated to gut issues. If I have GERD issues, then my asthma and mucus in my esophagus/throat (slimy) is 100times worse. I start taking zantac as well as up my omeprazole to 2times per day during that time...

Oh and also, I sip on cups of warm Water (like for tea) when that happens. After about cup 4, the mucus/slime factor goes down.

hugs and congrats on a tough goal!

Edited by FluffyChix

Hi Newbie and shed082773,

I do hope that both of you are feeling much better since you posted about this subject.

I am in awe of those lucky enough to Never suffer the foamies. But for me the foamies and slime and mucous and the vomiting have been horrible. And I have not yet enjoyed a day without slime, mucous or foam vomiting. And I want this horrible foam etc and vomiting to stop.

Thinking of you both and wishing you every success with your weight loss journey.

From the surgeon's point of view I am a success. The weight has peeled off and he is happy that it has done so consistently since I had the Roux en Y operations in April 2017.
But from my point of view it has had major issues that have made life difficult. Every day since my surgery I have had the foamies.
I go through about 20 Emesis bags a week. That is for the major throw ups of foam. Or foam mixed with a couple of teaspoons of food.< br> Then there are the jumbo packs of tissues. One jumbo size pack of tissues daily to wipe away the slimy foam constantly rising up and coating my tongue and interfering with any attempt to eat anything.
I first serve a small serve of food (about a tablespoon on a small plate). I eat slowly and chew every teaspoon of food very thoroughly. I do not combine liquids and a meal. I am assured that yes some people do get it as bad I am experiencing but they hope it will settle down eventually. They really do not know. I have every procedure and test (and on more than once occasion too) to check for any blockage or any obstructions and there are none.
And I am completely sick of reading accounts that blame the victim of the foamies. Someone needs to fund a study into the foamies to establish what risk factors make it more likely a person will suffer the foamies. And then a study to find out how to effectively counteract the foamies. Because the slimy mucous foamies are horrible.
I accept that in order to be able to enjoy a meal I need to first clear my stomach of foam first. Hence the small serve of food eaten slowly and chewed well over a 30 minute duration. Within ten minutes after eating the small serve of food then I suffer the super fast vomiting (akin to projectile vomiting - it comes up so fast) That will help to empty the stomach. What comes up, with all the attached slimy foam is, in volume, far more than what I just ate. The bag fill up with mainly foam.
Then I allow a break and eventually serve another small serve of food. Most times I can keep this second serve down.
The really discouraging scenario if when I cannot keep the second serve down and it too all comes up.
I do not eat any form of bread as that is impossible to keep down.
In addition to food coming up I also bring up Fluid outside of the meal times. I sip Water or electrolyte drinks or some fruit juices in very small sips. Regularly throughout the day. But not closer than 45 minutes before or after a meal of food. My food serves are small.
The doctor is happy with my sustained weight loss and I have reached goal. But in relation to the vomit of slime, foamies and mucous from my stomach and the vomiting it is horrible. I am on 24 hours a day coverage (a tablet ever 8 hours ) for nausea and even that is not enough to stop the vomiting . Though the tablets have considerably reduced the level of vomiting. but not stopped the vomiting completely.
So all the medical researchers out there - please put some research projects together. No one understands how horrible are the foamies and lots of vomiting and mucous and slime coming out of one's mouth all the time.

Wow sorry to hear that, I hope they find a reason to your foam troubles. I’m getting bypass soon, and I have read, this usually happens with certain food or certain amount of food, but I read you eat slow and wait to drink. I hope the pointer giving about will help out. Best of luck.

“There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work, there are no limits.” —Michael Phelps

Hi FluffyChix

Thank you for your kind support. I do appreciate that.

No the foamies happen no what I consume. At first I was saying to myself, "Hmm I vomited that so I cannot have that again" But eventually I worked with the dietician and found that day one I would vomit x. But another day x would stay down. Then I would vomit with Y but on another occasions Y would stay down,

I have though chosen to not eat bread as I hate the feeling in my throat of the taste of bread but it is liquified and swirling in a sea of foam. Thus bread no longer appeals to me. But I can honestly say that there is NO food that I can say I always keep down. I basically vomit anything I take in.

I tried clear consome Soup and that came up on some occasions and not on other occasions .

Seeing the Doctor again next week and I will discuss your suggestions with the doctor re " antihistamine at night or maybe even adding zantac? " Although I do not have Gerd nor asthma the doctor has given me medication for Gerd in a "just in case it helps" option re Gerd. I am not sure what zantac is for.

Also I stagger my morning medication as a few times in the past I have also thrown up all my medication in one throw up. So now I stagger the medication taking it over a 30 minute time period to ensure that at least it is more likely to benefit me if it all does go down and if it all stays down.

My Good wishes to you Luisajfc re your surgery.

One thing my surgeon asked me to do was to ensure that my stomach muscles were in good shape before the operation. So prior to the operation I was visiting the gym twice a week for 2 hours each time and on Saturdays I swam laps at the local pool. He said that he felt that made a difference.

I stuck to vitamized food a little longer than they say you need to as in the beginning I felt that maybe I would be able to keep down smooth food better. But that did not work. But even 6 months since surgery I do chop the food up into baby size pieces just in the hope that it will be easier for my body to cope with it. (and praying I do not vomit) but as you can see in a small minority the vomiting is horrible.

I hope that you are one of the lucky ones who have no vomiting.

And Never Never ever give in to friends or family who may sometimes pressure a person to eat a larger serve than the post op person should .

There was one person who was discharged before me but they were back in theatre less than 24 hours later as they accepted an invitation , by friends, to visit a well known fast food place and they ate a meal the size they USED to eat. They ended up back in hospital in agony and with a with a perforated stomach and a horrible time and a longer stay in hospital as their new smaller stomach could not cope with the amount of food they tried to eat at the fast food place. One nurse told me that often people feel obligated to eat something at a family gathering that someone has made. You need to put YOU first and your recovery first and if people will not accept your NO that you cannot eat something or cannot eat a serve that big, then they are not respecting your NO.

25 minutes ago, Bekke 777 said:

Seeing the Doctor again next week and I will discuss your suggestions with the doctor re " antihistamine at night or maybe even adding zantac? " Although I do not have Gerd nor asthma the doctor has given me medication for Gerd in a "just in case it helps" option re Gerd. I am not sure what zantac is for.

Also I stagger my morning medication as a few times in the past I have also thrown up all my medication in one throw up. So now I stagger the medication taking it over a 30 minute time period to ensure that at least it is more likely to benefit me if it all does go down and if it all stays down.

Gosh, you must be so frustrated and scared! ((hugs)) Saying prayers for you!!

So Zantac is a "true antihistamine" that act as a histamine blocker and helps limit acid production in the stomach. With you being a bypass patient none of this might help as it would with a VSG. It was one of the early treatments for reflux and GERD. Here's a link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjq-e67-pDXAhWKRiYKHXHiDe8QFggoMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.drugs.com%2Fzantac.html&usg=AOvVaw0H3jo6j119M59hjyRy0rqM

Antihistamines, would help you if the problem is from your nasal drainage. I have GERD, but also have bad post nasal drip, especially at night and I get thick slimy mucus in my esophagus and also in my bronchial tubes. So Zantac might help with that--it's a pure antihistamine.

The Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor that also works to reduce acid production. Here's the link: https://www.drugs.com/omeprazole.html

They all have different mechanisms of action. I use all 3 of them, especially on days when I'm having a tough time. I always take the omeprazole and Zrytec. But if my GERD/asthma worsens and mucus gets going, then I add in Zantac. They've all helped me tremendously. But, I haven't had my RNY yet...It just seems like it's worth trying. And I would def. ask the doc if you could go ahead and start taking your PPI if you aren't already--maybe even taking it 2x a day for a short while (like 2-3 weeks).

Anyway, just a thought...hang in there!

My Good wishes to you Luisajfc re your surgery.
One thing my surgeon asked me to do was to ensure that my stomach muscles were in good shape before the operation. So prior to the operation I was visiting the gym twice a week for 2 hours each time and on Saturdays I swam laps at the local pool. He said that he felt that made a difference.
I stuck to vitamized food a little longer than they say you need to as in the beginning I felt that maybe I would be able to keep down smooth food better. But that did not work. But even 6 months since surgery I do chop the food up into baby size pieces just in the hope that it will be easier for my body to cope with it. (and praying I do not vomit) but as you can see in a small minority the vomiting is horrible.
I hope that you are one of the lucky ones who have no vomiting.
And Never Never ever give in to friends or family who may sometimes pressure a person to eat a larger serve than the post op person should .
There was one person who was discharged before me but they were back in theatre less than 24 hours later as they accepted an invitation , by friends, to visit a well known fast food place and they ate a meal the size they USED to eat. They ended up back in hospital in agony and with a with a perforated stomach and a horrible time and a longer stay in hospital as their new smaller stomach could not cope with the amount of food they tried to eat at the fast food place. One nurse told me that often people feel obligated to eat something at a family gathering that someone has made. You need to put YOU first and your recovery first and if people will not accept your NO that you cannot eat something or cannot eat a serve that big, then they are not respecting your NO.

Thanks for the heads up, the good thing about this is I only have two friends who are also doing the surgery together with me. Friends ride together.. I guess that’s true. But I’ll take your words to heart.. the last thing I want is to end up with my same weight or worse in the hospital. Thank you!

“There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work, there are no limits.” —Michael Phelps

8 hours ago, Bekke 777 said:

Hi Newbie and shed082773,

I do hope that both of you are feeling much better since you posted about this subject.

I am in awe of those lucky enough to Never suffer the foamies. But for me the foamies and slime and mucous and the vomiting have been horrible. And I have not yet enjoyed a day without slime, mucous or foam vomiting. And I want this horrible foam etc and vomiting to stop.

Thinking of you both and wishing you every success with your weight loss journey.

I sure hope you get some relief soon!!! As I said I ended up having 5 Endoscopes with 4 Dialations. but the good news is I haven't had anything since Jan of 2015. They finally got it finished. I had my RNY on July 2, 2013. I also got to my goal weight in 6 months. At one of my Dr's appointment, they ask me if I had ever stopped losing weight when I told them that I had stopped losing and I managed to gain 7#'s back. They all said that they were really worried about me. I started having problems within my 1st month. I fought it until Nov of 2013 where I had my 1st endo done, then another in Dec of 2013, Jan of 2014 July 2014. My last one was Jan of 2015. In the meantime, I fired my Surgeon and went to another BARIATRIC CENTER who is 100% better heck they even smile at you. My Surgeon had not 1 lick of bedside manner and called me a PROBLEM CHILD due to all of my problems. Hopefully, you will get some relief soon. I hope that you can realize that it WILL get better. Did they take a look? IK know exactly what you are saying about people saying this only happens because you overate or ate something that you shouldn't, I got the same response!! Just know IT IS NOT your fault. Some of us are blessed with overactive tummy's that heal too fast and produce more scar tissue. HUGS and if there's anything I can do let me know. Talk to you soon!!!

Edited by shedo82773