Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My post either deleted or posted before I was finished.

Depending on where you live, I'd try marijuana before continuing on opioids. As I mentioned (or tried to) studies don't support long-term use for chronic pain and you gain tolerance. With marijuana you can get pain treating CBD without the mind altering THC.

13 hours ago, KateBruin said:

There have been a lot of studies that show opioids suck for chronic pain management. I was on pain meds for 9 years after a double fusion + ankylosing spondylitis and quit them all in December. My sister got put on Patches, went to heroin and died within a year. Personally, exercise has greatly helped me pain, so has just learning to cope with always being in a little pain. I'm definitely NOT saying exercise is a cure for everyone. I'm still in pain every day.

Glad you have found something that worked. As you said it does depend on the situation. Excersise will not improve my disability. Sorry your sister died. I use morphine rarely for my pain and it has been very helpful for me when I need it. I have also have procedures in hospital for pain managment, i am sure most people would try many other options before resorting to opiods, and I am sure many people are in phisio and would love exercise to be the answer for their pain, I also think we all learn to deal with a certain level of pain, but if someone is unable to function or get out of bed due to their pain unfortunately being okay with it does not always help. :)

Glad you have found something that worked. As you said it does depend on the situation. Excersise will not improve my disability. Sorry your sister died. I use morphine rarely for my pain and it has been very helpful for me when I need it. I have also have procedures in hospital for pain managment, i am sure most people would try many other options before resorting to opiods, and I am sure many people are in phisio and would love exercise to be the answer for their pain, I also think we all learn to deal with a certain level of pain, but if someone is unable to function or get out of bed due to their pain unfortunately being okay with it does not always help. [emoji4]

I agree 100% and seriously meant NOTHING judgmental or harsh by my statements. I honestly thought I would be on opioids for the rest of my life as I could barely function but for now, I'm off them. As my autoimmune disease progresses I might have to go back on opioids. Hopefully, by then I'll be able to use medicinal marijuana. For now, my career goals don't allow it.

I'm glad they offer you some relief.

I agree 100% and seriously meant NOTHING judgmental or harsh by my statements. I honestly thought I would be on opioids for the rest of my life as I could barely function but for now, I'm off them. As my autoimmune disease progresses I might have to go back on opioids. Hopefully, by then I'll be able to use medicinal marijuana. For now, my career goals don't allow it.

I'm glad they offer you some relief.

Thanks :) I'm in UK so completely illegal but I'm sure that would help a lot of people!

Sent from my Swift 2 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks [emoji4] I'm in UK so completely illegal but I'm sure that would help a lot of people!

That sucks! My friend is in Brighton and is always huffy about how it isn't legal there. They make illegal hash cakes but obviously can't do it that frequently.

That sucks! My friend is in Brighton and is always huffy about how it isn't legal there. They make illegal hash cakes but obviously can't do it that frequently.

An old lady was sent to prison for sharing her brownies with her friends at the pensioners club lol
I think its quite extreme lol.
I've tried cbd oil I don't think it did much to help.

Just wondering if you've tried a Tens unit? I have chronic pain from lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, and degenerative disc disease (13 bulging discs and 1 herniated, with moderate to severe spinal stenosis). Yes, I do take Percocet, however I only take it when my pain level reaches an 8 or above. For moderate pain (5 or 6 on the pain scale), I will use a heating pad and my iTens unit. I purchased this unit because it was important for me to have it wireless. The iTens unit is rechargeable and there is an app where you can control the unit. I love it. I also have had acupuncture in the past which really helped, but insurance companies don't want to pay for alternative medicine. I had to stop getting the acupuncture because I had to go 3 times a week at $75 a pop; I just couldn't afford it anymore.

I loved acupuncture because it did help but I also can not afford it either. I have had many surgeries for back, hip, knee, and elbow problems. I did get addicted to Norco so I am wary about taking pain medication after surgery. However, I know that I will need to take the pain medication at least for a little while. I hope my RNY surgery will help my body be out of pain someday. I also hurt everyday with my back being the worst offender.

My daughter has several chronic pain conditions including rheumatoid arthritis, ehlers-danlos and dysautonomia.

One of her doctors talks about the 10% solution. No treatment for her is likely to control all her pain. So we go for 10%. If her Celebrex helps 10% and her TENS unit helps 10% and her physical therapy helps 10% and her solonpas Patches help 10% and acupuncture helps 10% and her braces help 5% heat helps 5% and rest helps 5% that's 65%. She has tried some other meds including some antidepressants that have been shown to work on chronic pain and some nerve pain ones (I take Neurontin/Gabapentin for a different issue) but they don't do much for her and one actually caused a different issue.

Anyhow... I do like the 10% solution. Just something to think about. Self care can be a b***h with chronic conditions. I'm sure weight loss will be 10% for you and hopefully you can find what you need to add up to your 65%!

I am very much in favor of judicious opioid use, for sure. But I do think that our cultural expectation that we can be pain free has contributed to the opioid abuse crisis. I am NOT in any way putting you in that category. It's just something that's on my mind.

I only have the sleeve so I can't speak to the malabsorption issue. I do hope you find the answers you seek.

11 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

My daughter has several chronic pain conditions including rheumatoid arthritis, ehlers-danlos and dysautonomia.

One of her doctors talks about the 10% solution. No treatment for her is likely to control all her pain. So we go for 10%. If her Celebrex helps 10% and her TENS unit helps 10% and her physical therapy helps 10% and her solonpas Patches help 10% and acupuncture helps 10% and her braces help 5% heat helps 5% and rest helps 5% that's 65%. She has tried some other meds including some antidepressants that have been shown to work on chronic pain and some nerve pain ones (I take Neurontin/Gabapentin for a different issue) but they don't do much for her and one actually caused a different issue.

Anyhow... I do like the 10% solution. Just something to think about. Self care can be a b***h with chronic conditions. I'm sure weight loss will be 10% for you and hopefully you can find what you need to add up to your 65%!

I am very much in favor of judicious opioid use, for sure. But I do think that our cultural expectation that we can be pain free has contributed to the opioid abuse crisis. I am NOT in any way putting you in that category. It's just something that's on my mind.

I only have the sleeve so I can't speak to the malabsorption issue. I do hope you find the answers you seek.

Oh mah gosh, this is such an excellent idea!!! So sorry your daughter suffers! ((hugs to you and her)) Thank you so much for laying this idea out for me. Cuz it just might be the secret to my chronic pain issues!!!

I'm so sorry for your daughter's struggles. I have spondyloarthritis/ankylosing spondylitis with dysautonomia that comes and goes. I have a friend with Ehlers-danlos and it's awful. Sending positive thoughts to her. I love salonpas. It's like witchcraft for me.

I'm so sorry for your daughter's struggles. I have spondyloarthritis/ankylosing spondylitis with dysautonomia that comes and goes. I have a friend with Ehlers-danlos and it's awful. Sending positive thoughts to her. I love salonpas. It's like witchcraft for me.

Thank you! My heart goes out to you too, you zebras are warriors!

She was super happy to discover them! It's weird because most sticky things--glue, stickers, band aids, medical tape--cause big welts on her skin but luckily those and KT tape (which she uses frequently for her joints as well, another 5-10% I forgot!) don't. Dunno why!

Oh mah gosh, this is such an excellent idea!!! So sorry your daughter suffers! ((hugs to you and her)) Thank you so much for laying this idea out for me. Cuz it just might be the secret to my chronic pain issues!!!

Thank you! As we say in our family GENTLE hugs! I love her doctor and that paradigm of the 10%'s has helped her a lot.

Can anyone give me more information RE: this Opioid Malabsorption issue? I'd like as much facts as I can and be well informed.

Hi, I've been a pain management patient since 2002 when I became disabled. In my humble opinion, I feel you may need to change Pain Management Doctors. Some are just better than others, period. My doctor is wonderful and knows me very well. He knows that I will do ANYTHING to avoid overuse of any controlled drug because of the side effects.....as well as the fact that I don't want to kill myself. That said, I found that after I lost all the weight, I could actually cut back on the Norco I was taking. However, I am still on the Fentanyl patch and when I tried to cut back on the mgs I was on, I found my pain level increased to the point where my quality of life was suffering. Perhaps you should try the patch instead of pills if you're having a hard time with absorbing the medication. I wish you luck in finding a compassionate doctor that knows the difference between an abuser, and those that are in pain and trying to keep their quality of life at a level that makes it possible to stay as active as they can.

Edited by 1paulina
posted on wrong page