Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I cannot believe that I in my stupid mind decided to have a major dental surgery a day before I started my liquid diet. What do you do when you are in pain? You eat of course. (You do this also when you are happy, sad, excited, anxious just to name a few but that's different story) So here I am in terrible pain and all I have is a Protein Shake to look forward to! It has been a miserable 2 days but I am sticking to it. I am telling myself that eating a slice of cake would mean that I will die in the operating table and it seems to be working.

Stay strong. For some reason I started my liquid diet on August the 8th . My surgery is scheduled for September the 5th. Which means almost 4 weeks of liquid diet. The first days are really awfully stressful. After 4/5 days the body understands that there are no carbohydrates and it has to use something else to produce energy. That "something else" are, in fact, the fats. This has two consequences: the first one is that you lose weight quickly, the second is ketoacidosis. The latter is the process that makes you produce energy (and live) starting from fats. It is not the primary/natural way to produce energies and this process causes the Generation of ketones. These substances make you feel with a lot of energy and they suppress the hunger working in some brain centers. They may also damage some organs after a while, that is why this kind of regimen must be temporary. stay strong , the ketones are on their way to make your life easier. Follow the instructions that your doctor gave it to you and use your willing power. You'll be fine!

I started my pre op diet yesterday but I cheated last night. So I am doing better today and I will stay strong. This part is not fun.

This has two consequences: the first one is that you lose weight quickly, the second is ketoacidosis. The latter is the process that makes you produce energy (and live) starting from fats. It is not the primary/natural way to produce energies and this process causes the Generation of ketones. These substances make you feel with a lot of energy and they suppress the hunger working in some brain centers. They may also damage some organs after a while, that is why this kind of regimen must be temporary.

Hi there. Just to clarify, you say this kind of diet means one experiences ketoacidosis. This is incorrect. One experiences Ketosis. Ketoacidosis is a very dangerous life threatening condition that can affect mainly type 1 diabetics. I understand that it is a simple word swap but a very different issue.

Best of luck.

Hi there. Just to clarify, you say this kind of diet means one experiences ketoacidosis. This is incorrect. One experiences Ketosis. Ketoacidosis is a very dangerous life threatening condition that can affect mainly type 1 diabetics. I understand that it is a simple word swap but a very different issue.

Best of luck.

Ketons are acidic. The Blood manteins its homeostasis by compensarory mechanisms. You are practically right, theoretically incorrect. What a person experience is a compensated ketoacidosis. When ketons are around for a prolonged period of tims can overwhelm normal compensatory mechanisms, leading to acidosis.
Best of luck to you as well.

Hmmm. First, I don't think that the purpose of the liquid diet at least for someone like me is to lose as much weight as I can in 2 weeks. (This might be the goal if you have tons of weight to lose.) If I understand correctly, the goal is to maker my liver smaller etc. so that the surgery is easier and safe. One can easily reach ketosis by eating steaks and eggs etc if you don't eat carbs. In my liquid diet, however, my doc has allowed me to drink fruit and vegetable juices. Both have tons of carbs. So I highly doubt that I am anywhere near Ketosis. My goal is not to lose as much weight as I can in two weeks but to have as safe surgery as I can. Am I missing the point here?

Hmmm. First, I don't think that the purpose of the liquid diet at least for someone like me is to lose as much weight as I can in 2 weeks. (This might be the goal if you have tons of weight to lose.) If I understand correctly, the goal is to maker my liver smaller etc. so that the surgery is easier and safe. One can easily reach ketosis by eating steaks and eggs etc if you don't eat carbs. In my liquid diet, however, my doc has allowed me to drink fruit and vegetable juices. Both have tons of carbs. So I highly doubt that I am anywhere near Ketosis. My goal is not to lose as much weight as I can in two weeks but to have as safe surgery as I can. Am I missing the point here?

You are perfectly right.

Sept 15th in Gainesville Florida- doing pre-op apts today!

I am scheduled for Bypass on September 1st! Currently doing a week long liquid diet despite having lost 100 pounds from my original sleeve surgery and weighing 150 at 5'5". Not sure what the logic is but at least it's helping me prepare for post-op. Good luck everyone! Let me know if anyone else is on the 1st!

So, I had my main pre op appointment today and all is on track for Sept. 13 at 9:00 am. I will have my anesthesia consult on the 8th as well as the final meeting with the bariatric coordinator at my hospital. I start liquidation on Wednesday the 30th.

I am doing the liquid diet for surgery 9/11. It is not easy but I am getting used to it.