Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First post-op meal didn't go too good...

So I'm 2 weeks post-op and finally allowed to try some soft eggs and puréed food. Tried making egg white egg beaters with no fat cheddar cheese. Measured out to 4 ounces. Cooked it up. THOUGHT I was eating slow and taking small bites... then all of a sudden I got a bad pain in the middle of my chest and felt like I was going to throw up. It was the worst feeling. What the hell did I do wrong?? Now I'm scared to try and eat again!! LOL. What do I do?

-Joe

You didn't do anything wrong. You just weren't ready for it yet. Eat even slower! And you probably can't eat as much as you think you can (I miss those days!! lol)

Very normal. Chew, chew, chew, and chew some more. I'm 5 1/2 months out and finally got my first egg down. Seems everyone has that one item that doesn't go down well. My best friend can't have steak. I can eat steak all day long. Now scrambled eggs - I get about 4 small bites down and I'm done.

You just need to try things out. Each of us are different. There are a few things I can't eat to this day. I am 4 years out. Sometimes you won't be able to handle something and then when you try it again you can handle it. It's a guess and by golly. Take very small bites and chew chew and chew some more. You might get a small plate like a baby's plate and a baby spoon. This will help you slow down even more. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice and responses.

Lunch and dinner went much much better. For lunch I made roasted garlic and a whole fresh head of cauliflower into a mashed potatoes. Came out great.

I was able to eat it with no issues whatsoever.

Dinner went down nice and smooth as well. Boiled 2 thick chicken breasts. Added some wine and spices. Puréed it, added light mayo and ate it with no problems.

I wonder if the problem I had with Breakfast had to do with the egg beaters? Not too keen on trying them again. Next time I'm just gonna make fresh egg whites.

20 hours ago, johock said:

Thanks for the advice and responses.

lunch and dinner went much much better. For lunch I made roasted garlic and a whole fresh head of cauliflower into a mashed potatoes. Came out great.

I was able to eat it with no issues whatsoever.

dinner went down nice and smooth as well. Boiled 2 thick chicken breasts. Added some wine and spices. Puréed it, added light mayo and ate it with no problems.

I wonder if the problem I had with breakfast had to do with the egg beaters? Not too keen on trying them again. Next time I'm just gonna make fresh egg whites.

Hi! When I had my sleeve done, it took a while to be able to tolerate eggs. That was one of the foods suggested to eat in the soft foods phase and I couldn't take it at all. Even now, 4 years post op, scrambled eggs sit heavy in my stomach. I can eat over easy or poached, etc and have no problem, but scrambled is still very filling to me, after just a few bites I will get a very uncomfortable feeling in my chest/stomach. Sometimes, when I go out to breakfast I'll get an omelet, bring home the leftovers, and it is about 3-4 meals for me depending on how mega sized the omelet is!

Being this far out, there's very little I can't tolerate anymore, but I'd say scrambled eggs and rice are very hard for me. I don't eat much rice anyway because of the empty carbs, but when my sister in law has a party there's always delicious puerto rican rice and I get the tiniest spoonful on my plate because more than two bites will leave me feeling icky.