Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band over bypass? Stretched pouch or stretched stoma or both?

I think I have totally screwed up my surgery. I started at 274 lbs down to 166 now 207 lbs. Surgery in Feb 2013. Great education at dr. I stopped going for follow up after year 2 because it is 2 1/2 hrs away. I started drinking regular soda. It was painful at first, but now I can drink alot of it. I stopped drinking it a few weeks ago. My husband died about a year ago and my eating got out of control. I am frequently hungry and don't get full. Can tolerate most foods. I am taking pain meds for arthritis and have other problems back. I want to see if band over bypass will help. I have called the surgeons office. It is in for insurance review before I can make an appt for a revision consult appt with the PA. Anybody have this problem or band over bypass? Any help?

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello, I understand your situation. I had my surgery 5 years ago in July 2012. I was 300 pounds my lowest was 195 but went down to 187 due to depression and was not eating. Now it's been three months and now I weigh 235! I am so upset and sad. I promised myself that I will not go back to the old me. I'm so embarrassed. I can eat more now and my pouch or stoma is stretched. I read you can have another surgery to shrink the pouch. Also on the BariatricPal surgery source website they have 5 Gastric bypass revision surgery and lap band is one

I'm sorry I click on send before finish wiring my comment. Sclerotherapy, lap band, lengthen the roux limb and conversion to duodenal switch. I'm going to see what's best for me. Good luck.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. ((hugs)) Prayers of peace to you.

Have you done the cottage cheese pouch volume test to see if your pouch is still functional? You can google exactly how to do it, but essentially, on an empty stomach and without drinking liquid, you eat a brand new container of cottage cheese until you feel the restriction and signal to stop eating for your particular pouch. Measure the amount of cottage cheese left in the container. If it fits within the specifications of your original pouch as given to you by the surgeon, then the tool is still functioning. That means, theoretically, you could go back to the early pouch rules of the road and volumes and realize the satiety benefits again. The weight loss is supposed to be slower, but frankly, I don't really buy that. I would think if you have a functioning tool, then satiety and loss can be somewhat manipulated by diet composition (ie ditching the carbs and junk food).

Just putting that out there for you to think about in case you didn't realize you could test whether your pouch is still working or not. Either way, the first 4 days of any diet are grueling and filled with hunger. But if you can power through those days it does get better. Good luck!

I personally wouldnt put that dang band back in my body for nothing! I had the band in 2007 amd just had it taken out Sept 13th and revised to bypass. The band being in my body was horrible for most of the 10 years it was in. Its a foreign object and bodies dont generally like foreign object setting up shop in them. Good luck with ur decision tho. I can appreciate ur frustrations and would be looking for solutions too. So i wish u luck in the next oart of ur journey, whatever u decide.

I have gained back a considerable amount of my lost weight do to deaths and depression and bad eating. I wanted to see about a revision and now that I have insurance( had to pay cash for my surgery in 2005 ) so I went to a new doctor at Kaiser (my insurance). They had me do a upper GI test( had to drink barium and had x rays.) they said my pouch hadn’t stretched. I believe it cause if I am eating health foods like meats and vegetables I get full fast. But if I eat slider foods I can eat more. So just getting back on track by drinking Protein Shakes and having 1 meal a day at first.

So maybe start with seeing if you pouch has stretched.