Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I only lost 2.8 lbs this week. I lost 0 last week. I am 4 weeks post op. I've only lost 18 lbs since surgery...why the hell is it going to slowly for me? I have 200lbs to lose. This can't be normal!!!! I didn't take out 80% of my stomach for this little progress in 1 month.

I am eating less than 1000 calories a day, and I am getting my Protein in. WHAT GIVES!?!?!?

Rant over.

I understand your frustration, but you didn't gain 200 pounds in a month. I doubt in any other diet you have done you have lost 18 pounds in a month. So let's look at what is going on.

1 - you have had major surgery and it is going to take your body at least 6 weeks to heal - that healing takes time and results in things like Water retention because you were on IV fluids and a predominantly liquid diet

2 - 1,000 calories a day seems like a lot at 4 weeks out. I wasn't there until four or five months out.

3 - check the sodium content of what you are eating

4 - Protein first, then water, water water

5 - You don't mention physical activity - you need to get active if you are not - even if it is just a walk around the block.

Finally, stalls happen. Embrace them and move on. Sometimes, the scale doesn't move but the tape measure does.

The average patient loses 15-20lbs the first month. Congrats, you're right on track!

Think of it this way: It will take you around 20 months to lose your 200lbs. That's an average of 10lbs a month. The first few months may show more loss that that (as you've proven), but then you'll be losing more like 4-8 lbs a month after the first year... IF you stick to program.

Exactly how much were you expecting to lose, and where did those expectations come from? (Your doctor, friends, family, television?)

31 minutes ago, XRolemodel85X said:

I only lost 2.8 lbs this week. I lost 0 last week. I am 4 weeks post op. I've only lost 18 lbs since surgery...why the hell is it going to slowly for me? I have 200lbs to lose. This can't be normal!!!! I didn't take out 80% of my stomach for this little progress in 1 month.

I am eating less than 1000 calories a day, and I am getting my Protein in. WHAT GIVES!?!?!?

Rant over.

I have lost almost 200 pounds and my first month I lost 21 pounds. It did not seem like a lot at the time, I wanted to lose 30 or 40 like other people, but it adds up.

It doesn't matter the rate that you lose, just that you are losing. You do not lose every day or every week. When you have a lot to lose like 200 pounds you kind of have to face reality it is going to take you a year (if you are a guy :angry:), or 2 or more if you are a female. You have to accept that it won't always be losses and keep your eye on the prize or you are going to be miserable, and probably just give up before you get to goal.

Remember, they (who is "they" anyway?.. but I digress..) they say a "healthy" weight loss is 1-2lbs a week when dieting. This equates to 4-10lbs a month. Bariatric patients definitely push the envelope with our rapid weight losses, and it's not always healthy or graceful. Many times we end up in the hospital with malnutrition or dehydration. Excessive loose skin, hernias, gallbladder removals, overuse injuries (from overworking ourselves in the gym).. etc. etc.

Ease into your new life gently, be kind to yourself. Pay attention to your nutrition, and don't overdo everything. Get plenty of sleep. This surgery is for the rest of your life. There is no reason you can't continue losing weight for 5-10 years, if it were to take that long.

Bariatric surgery begins a journey, but the journey doesn't end at goal weight, rather, it endures as long as you do.

Totally normal. I am almost 5 weeks out and had a stall that lasted about a week. Back on the losers bench now

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 198 GW 135

1000 calories does not seem high.

If you are well healed, meeting high Protein goals. 1000 is pretty easy to hit, anything between 800 and 1000 is really good at 4 weeks.

No reason to wreck you metabolism eating war rations calories longer then necessary.

Losing weight slowly and steadily helps prevent you from looking hagard and old like a lot of weight loss patients. There are some people you can just look in the face and tell they had WLS.

The average patient loses 15-20lbs the first month. Congrats, you're right on track!
Think of it this way: It will take you around 20 months to lose your 200lbs. That's an average of 10lbs a month. The first few months may show more loss that that (as you've proven), but then you'll be losing more like 4-8 lbs a month after the first year... IF you stick to program.
Exactly how much were you expecting to lose, and where did those expectations come from? (Your doctor, friends, family, television?)

I was expecting maybe 5 at least. I didn't have expectations from anyone. I just have lost weight quickly in the past by dieting. I am feeling unprepared for post surgery life...

1000 calories does not seem high.
If you are well healed, meeting high Protein goals. 1000 is pretty easy to hit, anything between 800 and 1000 is really good at 4 weeks.
No reason to wreck you metabolism eating war rations calories longer then necessary.
Losing weight slowly and steadily helps prevent you from looking hagard and old like a lot of weight loss patients. There are some people you can just look in the face and tell they had WLS.

Thank you for your input. Some days I hit 1000 it depends on how I feel. I am getting in all my protein thanks in part to Premier Protein shakes.

8 minutes ago, XRolemodel85X said:

I was expecting maybe 5 at least.

I'll assume you meant 50.

My hubby once lost 49lbs in a month. He had contracted some sort of tick-born illness that had him vomiting up every sip of Water he drank, coughing nonstop, a fever that wouldn't quit.. and he was that sick for a month straight. We had no insurance, so couldn't send him to the hospital, so we kept trying different antibiotics from the local clinic. Finally the doc found some that worked, and my 6'4 tall, slightly overweight Army man that had turned into a skeleton... managed to pull through.

Trust me, you don't WANT to lose 50lbs in a month. Your body needs time to heal and process the fat. Most patients that lose more than 30lbs a month have had complications. (Before I get jumped on, it's not EVERY patient that loses that much.. just an awful lot of them).

A common theme among people of size is self-loathing. Surgery doesn't magically make you feel good about yourself. That takes work on your emotional/spiritual side. YOU are not a number on a scale, and after a while, you will realize that YOU are no different, even though that number changes. It's a good time to start some good habits, one of which is to thank your body for doing those things you want it to. Keep it all positive.

Thank you for helping me get out of bed and empty my bladder.

Thank you for accepting that food/fuel.

Thank you for losing that .01lbs

Thank you...

It seems silly, and simple, but it will really help your outlook if you do it. (This morning I thanked my body for having healed my surgery scars so nicely, and for my waist having become more visible.) And you know what? Much like a dog that loves pets and praise, my mind and body like it too ;)

I'll assume you meant 50.
My hubby once lost 49lbs in a month. He had contracted some sort of tick-born illness that had him vomiting up every sip of Water he drank, coughing nonstop, a fever that wouldn't quit.. and he was that sick for a month straight. We had no insurance, so couldn't send him to the hospital, so we kept trying different antibiotics from the local clinic. Finally the doc found some that worked, and my 6'4 tall, slightly overweight Army man that had turned into a skeleton... managed to pull through.
Trust me, you don't WANT to lose 50lbs in a month. Your body needs time to heal and process the fat. Most patients that lose more than 30lbs a month have had complications. (Before I get jumped on, it's not EVERY patient that loses that much.. just an awful lot of them).
A common theme among people of size is self-loathing. Surgery doesn't magically make you feel good about yourself. That takes work on your emotional/spiritual side. YOU are not a number on a scale, and after a while, you will realize that YOU are no different, even though that number changes. It's a good time to start some good habits, one of which is to thank your body for doing those things you want it to. Keep it all positive.
Thank you for helping me get out of bed and empty my bladder.
Thank you for accepting that food/fuel.
Thank you for losing that .01lbs
Thank you...
It seems silly, and simple, but it will really help your outlook if you do it. (This morning I thanked my body for having healed my surgery scars so nicely, and for my waist having become more visible.) And you know what? Much like a dog that loves pets and praise, my mind and body like it too [emoji6]

I meant 5 per week! Sorry. So 25 a month. I know what you're saying. It's just frustrating because I think that in the beginning weight loss will be much quicker than later on...

I meant 5 per week! Sorry. So 25 a month. I know what you're saying. It's just frustrating because I think that in the beginning weight loss will be much quicker than later on...

I didn't have 80% of my stomach ripped out for .1 lb weight loss. So no. I won't be grateful for that. I'll be bitter.

I thought that too but lots of people start speeding up around month three. Maybe because they're more active. I'm a slow loser too. Slower than you. It's ok to have a day but if you wanna succeed just follow your plan. It'll come off.