Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This person is obese
This highlights how absurd BMI is. This picture is from last Monday. I was 183 lbs. BMI 30.5 I think it was. Obese class 1. When I look at that picture, I don't look obese, I don't feel obese. I don't consider myself obese. I started with an BMI of 42+, obese class 2.

I have another 31 lbs to loose to reach a normal BMI. It might not happen and I'm okay with that. I have lost 74.5 lbs since two weeks before surgery (surgery date 3.20.17)

20170724_124136.png

I totally agree with you. There are some charts out there that take into account gender and body type.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 199 GW 135

I'm kinda conflicted. On one hand you are obviously infinitely healthier than you were 75 lbs ago, and you certainly look totally normal to me. You don't look overweight to me at all. On the other hand, though... even though the BMI formula isn't perfect, the data show greater health risks for people above a "normal" BMI. So while I'd love to dismiss it I'm still anxious to get into at least the overweight category if not the normal.

BMI is basically an estimate of your body fat. It often understates obesity in short people and overstates it in tall people. And, obviously the very athletic who have lots of LBM get miscategorized as well. I've also read some research that proposes an alternate BMI schedule for Asian-Americans (currently understates obesity) and African-Americans (currently overstates obesity). So if you're in the normal body fat range for women then you shouldn't worry about BMI and just carry on being active and eating nutritious foods.

But the truth is most of us don't know our body fat, short of visiting a health club and paying for the DEXA scan. (From what I've read, the presence of excess skin after WLS makes calipers unreliable.) In that case, BMI can be a useful tool.

So, I dunno. I don't think we should totally throw out BMI and say it's useless. Statistically speaking it predicts health outcomes and mortality rates. But I do get why it feels inaccurate or frustrating when your body is strong and you're active and have healthy habits but the height/weight ratio tells you you're part of The Obesity Epidemic. So, I feel you! You look awesome and it's hard to believe you are just four months out from surgery! Amazing!

Body fat % is a more important number to pay attention to IMO. Have someone check yours and go from there.

You look great!

Female waist measurement under 35 inches (at bellybutton) indicates low risk of weight related health issues. What is your waist measurement?

Holy Shite!! You look fantastic! You are an inspiration!

You Don't look obese to me. I feel the same way at 198 in a size 12. Great job!

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Congrats on the weight loss! You look great! As long as you feel good who cares about bmi!
It's your journey!
I'm not looking for #'s in my journey-I want to feel healthy, be healthy and fit into pretty clothes!

Girl, you finer than frog hair. Don't believe them charts!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

On 7/25/2017 at 4:04 AM, Berry78 said:

Female waist measurement under 35 inches (at bellybutton) indicates low risk of weight related health issues. What is your waist measurement?

Mine is 36. But I'm also not done, I still have another 31 lbs to go before I have a normal BMI. I just think it's ridiculous that my BMI indicates that I'm obese. I don't see an obese person when I look in the mirror.