Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this all i will lose?

I am officially 2months post op with a total loss of 36 pounds. I am starting to feel discouraged and feel like this is all i am going to lose. Can anyone offer some insight? I really want to increase my activity level even more starting next week. (workout outdoors and the heat has been crazy) I follow a lot of lovely ladies on Instagram that really motivate and inspire me to stay positive. I guess since i want to be successful so bad i start to let my mind mess with me. Did anyone else have times where they felt this way?

Your body is going through a lot and 36lbs is a lot of weight to lose 2 months later. Give it some time, it has to come off, your not eating hardly

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app

Assuming you stick to your plan, you Will lose more! The human body isn't magic. It doesn't run on rainbows and fairy dust, it runs on stored energy (fat and muscle) and what you put into it. So, if you're restricting calories and eating the right kinds of foods, you will lose weight!

If you're in a stall and need some assurance that you are losing fat, I like Keto strips. They're cheap, all you do is pee on a strip and it tells you what level of ketones are in your urine. Ketones are one sign that your body is in ketosis and is rapidly burning fat.

Also, 36 pounds is great! I'm 2.5 months out and only got to 36 pounds today.

Follow your meal plan, exercise (whether it be when things are cool in the morning/evening or at a gym), and keep your head up!

Averaging 18 pounds a month is great! I think many people here have unrealistic expectations of how fast they will lose post-op. There are so many factors: did you have sleeve or bypass? Are you male or female? Was starting weight/BMI high or low? etc. No two people are alike, and no two people will lose weight the same way in the same time frame. You're only 2 months out. Do you really think the weight loss is going to stop suddenly?

I know it's hard not to compare yourself to others, but really, the only one you should be comparing yourself to is... you! What was your weight loss like before you had the operation? I know for me, the most I could ever lose was about 10 pounds a month, but after a month or two, the weight loss would plateau and creep up again. What are your body measurements like? You may find that you are losing inches, even if the scale is stalled. How do you feel? Do you have more energy? Do you have less pain (if you have it before)? There are so many non-scale victories to keep track of.

Even for me, the last two weeks have been a bit of a downer, as the scale hasn't budged (but it finally did today). That said, even though the scale wasn't moving, clearly something was happening because I suddenly found most of the clothes I was wearing were too big - pants and skirts literally falling off my body, shirts so baggy it was embarrassing. So I've done another clean-out of my closet and I'm happy that I am starting to fit into size 16 bottoms, something I haven't been able to do for over 10 years.

Anyway, focus on your NSV's, stop comparing yourself to others (social media is great for support, but it often can create false expectations based on what others are projecting out there), and relax. Hope you start feeling better about this soon.

You are right on target for weight loss. If the scale has you down, I give you permission to take a month-long vacation from it :)

10 hours ago, dgarcia27 said:

I am officially 2months post op with a total loss of 36 pounds.

Well, you're losing at a faster rate than me...I had lost a whopping 27.5 pounds at 2 months post-op. Still, I was pleased with this once I put it into perspective.

When's the last time you lost 36 pounds in 2 months via diet/exercise prior to surgery? I assume the answer is "Never." That's an average of 18 pounds monthly, which is significant.

I had 100 pounds to lose. After my first 2 months, I lost at a rate of 3 to 6 pounds monthly. What's important is the big picture: I kept plugging away at it, lost 100 pounds in 17 months and reached my goal weight.

There's a saying: "Slow and steady wins the race, while fast and crass doesn't last." This is your personal marathon, not a sprint. You didn't become obese overnight, so you aren't going to lose it all overnight.

Good luck to you. :)

Well, you're losing at a faster rate than me...I had lost a whopping 27.5 pounds at 2 months post-op. Still, I was pleased with this once I put it into perspective.
When's the last time you lost 36 pounds in 2 months via diet/exercise prior to surgery? I assume the answer is "Never." That's an average of 18 pounds monthly, which is significant.
I had 100 pounds to lose. After my first 2 months, I lost at a rate of 3 to 6 pounds monthly. What's important is the big picture: I kept plugging away at it, lost 100 pounds in 17 months and reached my goal weight.
There's a saying: "Slow and steady wins the race, while fast and crass doesn't last." This is your personal marathon, not a sprint. You didn't become obese overnight, so you aren't going to lose it all overnight.
Good luck to you. [emoji4]

I'm a 9 days from 2 months and down 28, and stalling. But I look at it like hey, I lost 28 lbs-I didn't gain 28 lbs.

I'm a turtle over here! I won't give up though and I'll try my hardest not to get discouraged. This is for life and definitely a marathon.
One thing that is a must for me is logging my food. Amazing how many calories I can eat when I don't pay attention.

I have lost only 16 lbs at 5 weeks so I am frustrated along with you. Had hoped for much quicker weight loss. I'm grateful for no complications, however.

Yeah. 17 lbs in 8 weeks and 33 since preop diet. It's really frustrating but we are losing. Also, someone here said their weight loss took off at 3 months so...fingers crossed.

I'm 2 months out and I've lost 17 pounds. When I weighed myself today, my 5 week stall - yes, 5 weeks! - had finally broken and I lost 3 pounds. Obviously I'm an extremely slow loser. I don't exercise a lot but wow, I didn't think it would be this slow.

I think your doing great, just keep doing the right things, getting ur Protein, ur fluids, eating right and exercising. I had surgery April 2017, weighed 250, now nearly 4 months out 202, so close to the 200 mark but I'm happy it's coming off gradually, more noticeable with clothers than on a scale. Be proud of yourself, ur making progress. Be encouraged !!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

When I get discouraged by stalls and what-not, I keep the rule of thumb in mind: "When you are dieting, a safe, healthy amount of weight to lose is 1-2lbs a week". Which translates to 4-10lbs a month. Even our slowest losers are in that range while losing.

I'm 4 weeks post-op tomorrow and I've been in a stall for 3 weeks, which makes me fear I'm not going to lose any more weight, but I follow a lot of people on Instagram that give me hope that my weight loss isn't done.

Edited by Etharia