Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from NewZealand!!

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and the whole lap band thing, I only heard about the lap band a couple of weeks ago when I went to my doc's and asked him what I could do about my weight problem. It all sounds amazing and I'm really excited to be attending an information evening tonight, well, in less then an hour. Right, I better go and put a bit of lipstick on and see what its all about. Not that I don't know very much after reading all your fantastic threads! Your all such a good source of knowledge, for someone like me that knew very little.

Hope to get to know you all better, I'll log in later and tell you how it all went.

xx

(feeling very excited!)

Hi Tia....thought I'd write back because I too am new and just posted my first thread last night. I am also 37! Perhaps we can be pals. The idea of Lap Band is very exciting. I am 2/3 of the way there before I get my date of surgery. I am looking forward to getting rid of this gut thats been weighing me down for far too long. Good luck I'd love to hear how the info session went.

Hi Nina,

Thank you for replying....last night was fantastic! I got so excited about the whole process that I felt like shouting out to the surgeon, When can I have it done! The down side was that I found the price a shock, my GP had told me it would be approx. 10K. But its more like 16!

How far along are you Nina? I was told that the next step would be to make an appointment, have blood tests and urine samples done, then visit the in house shrink. then after all this they would advice me on weather I'm a suitable candidate or not.....such a long drawn out process. I'm so impatient that I want it done like yesterday. I guess I will have to sit back and relax...It will be worth it in the end. I will worry the whole time that the doc's will find something that will stop me having it done. Are you certain that your an acceptable candidate? I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all goes well for you.:gluck:

Speak to you soon. x

Hi, I am NZ also, I have been to the GP and he is sending all my information to the surgeon this week. I have briefly talked with the surgeon already via email. Just now waiting to see when I can get an appointment with him.

I understand the wanting to get it done yesterday, though in saying that, it is a big decision to make.

Hi there,

sounds like it would be cheaper for you to get it done in Australia - is it worth enquiring?

Jude

I feel so deflated and crap now....I have just done my kindy pickup, where I had told a few people about my meeting last night. They were all eager to hear all about it, but when I told them the price they were all saying it was a waste of time and money, that I should just stop eating and do some exercise...I really felt like crying, don't they think I have tried that time and time again!! One of the ladies asked if they had spoken about failed lap bands?! Has anyone heard of this, is it common? I was so excited, now I don't know how I feel or what I want anymore. I truly wish I hadn't told any of them anything.

Sorry for the rant.... I just didn't know where else to turn.:think

Hi Skinnyafatbody, your so lucky to be on the right track, I hope you get what you want really fast. Where are you in NZ? Is your surgeon close to you? This place is great, isn't it, I feel at home already!:cool:

Thanks Jude for your comment, do you know the price of the lap band in OZ? I'm so new to all this that I suppose I haven't done a lot of research yet.

Hi everyone, I heard about this site Tuesday night in Parsippany NJ. Great event! two wonderful surgeons, very thoughtful. and Khalia Ali with Obesityhelp.com. She is a true inspiration. I am pre-surgery, Dr. Howard Simon Syr., I have been trying to get approved for surgery for almost 2 years. Finally success, I should have a date scheduled soon.

I feel so deflated and crap now....I have just done my kindy pickup, where I had told a few people about my meeting last night. They were all eager to hear all about it, but when I told them the price they were all saying it was a waste of time and money, that I should just stop eating and do some exercise...I really felt like crying, don't they think I have tried that time and time again!! One of the ladies asked if they had spoken about failed lap bands?! Has anyone heard of this, is it common? I was so excited, now I don't know how I feel or what I want anymore. I truly wish I hadn't told any of them anything.

Hi Skinnyafatbody, your so lucky to be on the right track, I hope you get what you want really fast. Where are you in NZ? Is your surgeon close to you? This place is great, isn't it, I feel at home already!:cool:

Thanks Jude for your comment, do you know the price of the lap band in OZ? I'm so new to all this that I suppose I haven't done a lot of research yet.

Hi Maria,

I am in Hawkes Bay and my surgeon is about one block from where i live. Very handy.

In response to your other comments

The cost - yes it is expensive - but what price will you put on your health - my health is worth more than 13k (the price i have been told by my surgeon - though not sure what this amount does and does not include yet). I don't want to get to 50 or 60 years old and be so old and decrepit that if i fall over i can't even pick myself up off the floor. How embarrassing would it be to have to as someone to help you up or even worse - having to ring an ambulance to pick you up - that might sound far fetched but it truly happens.

Exercise and diet - have you tried before - I am sure you have as i know i have - i have done Weight watchers, sure slim, natural way, zenical, reductil, various other diet pills, going to the gym, starvation, laxatives, seeing a nutritionist and thats all i can think of off the top of my head. Some work for a short period of time, some haven't worked at all. The end result is that i have no lighter and infact heavier than i started out.

Failure - there are risks with everything we do, including the lapband, be it risks of mechanical failure or failure of the individual to commit to the long term lifestyle changes required. By mechanical failure i mean slippage or erosion though i believe both are very low as a percentage and there are things one can do to minimise the chances of it happening. Alot of studies talk abut failure and measure it to the amount of weight loss - this is fine if we all think we are going to get down to our "ideal" weight range - however for me personally, it is about being a healthier weight so i can live longer even if still considered "overweight" at least not putting the strain on my body i am now.

Hope this helps ...

tracy :nervous

Hi everyone, I heard about this site Tuesday night in Parsippany NJ. Great event! two wonderful surgeons, very thoughtful. and Khalia Ali with Obesityhelp.com. She is a true inspiration. I am pre-surgery, Dr. Howard Simon Syr., I have been trying to get approved for surgery for almost 2 years. Finally success, I should have a date scheduled soon.

Thats fantastic news ttallman - I have my appointment booked to see the surgeon on 25th of this month - fingers crossed it all goes well!

All the best

tracy

Hi Skinnyafatbody, your so lucky to be on the right track, I hope you get what you want really fast. Where are you in NZ? Is your surgeon close to you? This place is great, isn't it, I feel at home already!:eek:

I feel for you because some people have said that to me as well... "have you thought about exercing, etc" der!!!... I say to them if it were that simple I wouldn't be putting myself under the knife !! I tell them I have lost weight through diet and exercise over and over again but continue to put it back on due to emotional eating. Some people will never understand and they're the ones I no longer talk to about this. Good luck on your journey.

Hi Nina,

Thank you for replying....last night was fantastic! I got so excited about the whole process that I felt like shouting out to the surgeon, When can I have it done! The down side was that I found the price a shock, my GP had told me it would be approx. 10K. But its more like 16!

How far along are you Nina? I was told that the next step would be to make an appointment, have blood tests and urine samples done, then visit the in house shrink. then after all this they would advice me on weather I'm a suitable candidate or not.....such a long drawn out process. I'm so impatient that I want it done like yesterday. I guess I will have to sit back and relax...It will be worth it in the end. I will worry the whole time that the doc's will find something that will stop me having it done. Are you certain that your an acceptable candidate? I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all goes well for you.:gluck:

Speak to you soon. x

Hi Tia, welcome to lapbandtalk, just want to reassure u that ur process could be fast like mine, i was also excited after i attended the seminar and wanted the band ASAP,,

I attended the seminar on sep 10th, on the 13th i had first consultation with the surgeon, Sept 28 saw the nutritionist and psycologist and on October 4th saw the surgeon and got booked in for surgery ,,,,My surgery Is set for 30th October:whoo:

Im in Melbourne, Aus and the surgery here is costing me $12,000 onkly because i cant wait for the year to be up so health cover can cover it,,,

IF I WANT SOMETHING I WANT IT NOW........................

All the best and u will get your date soon....

As for people telling u its a waste of money, well u tell them that u are paying Not them.

Surely the cost is nothing , our lives are worth more than $$$$ and without the band we will be all heading for health issues galore as we get older.......................

Gina

Hi Tia and welcome to the site.Skinny people seldom understand our battle with weight. They do not relate. You will find lots of support here. I love........my lap band. It curbs my appetite so much and i can not eat much at one time. Hang in there, it is the best thing i have ever done for myself and worth every penny. I was a self pay in Mexico and paid 8000. FOR EVERYTHING, even airfare and hotel. Self pays get it done really quick. Good luck, Donna

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and the whole lap band thing, I only heard about the lap band a couple of weeks ago when I went to my doc's and asked him what I could do about my weight problem. It all sounds amazing and I'm really excited to be attending an information evening tonight, well, in less then an hour. Right, I better go and put a bit of lipstick on and see what its all about. Not that I don't know very much after reading all your fantastic threads! Your all such a good source of knowledge, for someone like me that knew very little.

Hope to get to know you all better, I'll log in later and tell you how it all went.

xx

(feeling very excited!)

Hi Tia!

Welcome!

Congratulations on deciding to save your life! whoo.gif

Hi DonHall1,

I am also a self pay and looking at 14,900 - did you check on the status of Mexican hospital and doctor and if so - how did you do it. I am going to have to borrow some of this money so I really would like to keep the cost down. But in this part of the country (Ohio) people would absolutely flip to hear someone was going to Mexico to have surgery.

Donna

Hi Tia,

I have health fund full coverage in Aus and my out of pocket expenses have been $4000 plus $500 for the anaesthetist. There was a refund from medicare and one from the health fund. If you can wait it might be worth joining a health fund after shopping around to see who pays the biggest benefit then waiting for the qualifying time. You could book your surgery well before the end of the waiting period so that you had it to look forward to as soon as you qualified. That way you wouldn't have such a big debt to manage.

hope this helps

Jude