Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vets- 3 years post VSG and need help

i'm 3.5 years out; gained about 25 lbs. have little control. don't have great access to doctors-had to change docs due to insurance change and new doc only wants to see me if i'm going to discuss revision. don't feel I need revision. yes I have reflux again, but I've gained a lot of weight back which was always the cause of my reflux in the first place.

NUT recommends a 'balanced diet' which I don't agree with. I can't eat hoards of fruit, sugar, and carbs and be successful. just looking to connect with some true vets and try to tackle this together. hubs needs some help too. we're both drinking pop, although i'm drinking mostly diet. trying very hard to get off the pop.

we're just not sure if we should be doing a 'bariatric' type diet with Protein base, shakes, broths, etc like post op and progress from there, or if something like Keto is the correct route. honestly I've had issues with milk post op-lactose intolerance- so doing shakes makes me a little nervous, also experiencing serious dumping syndrome with heavy fat meals, so that makes me nervous about Keto.

thinking that a baseline bariatric plan is they way to go, and maybe try Fairlife milk, or coconut milk???

I appreciate ALL help, advice, etc. I feel very lost, 3.5 years ago I was the MOST driven, focused patient that my former surgeon had. he was convinced I would be totally successful, and I feel like a total failure.

Keto may really help you kick the sugar. When I eat keto or close to keto, I do not have cravings. High fat really works well for me. High Protein sometimes leaves me feeling more hunger. So, for example, if I don't eat enough fats and eat chicken (high protein but lean) for a couple days, I get hungry or cravings.
Fats mainly come from avocado, cream and nuts. Sometimes butter.

Most shakes don't have lactose if they are whey based. Mix the powders with Water or yeah fairlife if you have lactose issues.

5:2 intermittent fasting is something else to try.

Do you dump with all fats or just animal fats? Are you high fat meals that make you dump meals that are also carb heavy (breaded/fried type)?

I think getting off the pop is def step one, even the diet stuff can cause carb cravings in some people.

I dump mostly with fatty dairy (ice cream level fats) and greasy meats (but not ALL). I can have bacon that I make myself but don't do well with the one from the cafeteria at work. I also do fine with butter, yogurt, and cheese.

it's kind of hit and miss but when I get it, it seems like i'm even more miserable 3.5 years out than I was initially!! I think that adding many grain products back into my diet have only added to the issue, as I am convinced that i'm gluten sensitive....

I dump mostly with fatty dairy (ice cream level fats) and greasy meats (but not ALL). I can have bacon that I make myself but don't do well with the one from the cafeteria at work. I also do fine with butter, yogurt, and cheese.
it's kind of hit and miss but when I get it, it seems like i'm even more miserable 3.5 years out than I was initially!! I think that adding many grain products back into my diet have only added to the issue, as I am convinced that i'm gluten sensitive....

Hmmmm I'm perplexed then, esp since I assumed you weren't eating lactose because you said it caused you problem, but the butter and cheese are ok?

Sounds like you could do Keto with some plant based fats? Olive oil, nuts and nut butters. That kind of thing?

I don't drink milk at all, or eat ice cream because of the issue. but yes, cheese and butter are A-OK. I know, it's weird. it's hit and miss. Meats- well i'm generally ok with most everything that I make at home, but the same meats from the work cafeteria don't sit. It JUST occurred to me that while I use lard, butter, etc...they are most likely using some cheap vegetable oil.

I see a new GI doc in September as mine has retired (I swear, ALL my docs are gone and I've had to get a new family doc in the past year too)...i'll be having an EGD in October. I'm going to talk frankly with her about this issue and see what her thoughts are.

In the meantime, hubs and I are going to give Keto a try and start on the weekend as I work the next 2 nights and don't want to be suffering the onset of keto flu at work. already got my chicken bones and chicken feet to put a batch of Bone Broth cooking tonight. also got some new eggs, bacon, and going to put a few staples in the fridge like deviled eggs, asparagus, cheese, and salad.

Ate (loosely) keto for several weeks while having a health issue recently and did good, but always kept my carbs higher than true keto, so this may prove differently but i'm excited to start and try

Interesting that milk and ice cream are the culprits as they both have high sugar content compared to the dairy you can tolerate.
Good luck to you and your husband on keto! You can do it!!!

Sounds like a plan. What about Whole 30?

hubs and I are starting today. just planning on getting going on a bariatric type diet, some clean Proteins, low sugar, lots of Water, etc. Cutting the fruits, carbs etc. don't know how it will work out but it has to be something of a starting point. as we go along we'll see how we both do and tweak our needs. eating in a bariatric style is very comfortable to both of us because I've done it (surgery) and my husband did it by default. incidentally, he lost about 28 lbs during my pre and post op phases (over about 4 months) and really enjoyed the food.

So we'll be doing things like eggs for Breakfast, shakes for Snacks, lunch of small condensed Protein (he will eat more) and some good bari recipes for dinner. for both of us it will be the greatest challenge to control portions, and for ME the major challenge over the next few days will be eliminating pop. But I've don't that in my life several times so i'm ok with it,.