Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How quickly can you go back to work? I was told this procedure could have me back to work in 3 days.

No way. 3 days? Wow. Please be careful, you will be exhausted and you haven't recovered yet. I was just sleeved on 6/19/2017. I just went to my first Dr. post op 2 week visit yesterday and got the okay to go back to light work, no heavy lifting (anything over 10 lbs.till 4 weeks) I slept for pretty much two weeks. I'm so tired. ugh. I guess I could have gone back, but my dr asked me what was the rush? He said that this is major surgery and I needed my rest, so I could heal my body and stitches properly. I'm glad I listened.

I have known a few who went back in 3 to 4 days but that is not usual... I went back in 3 weeks even though the surgeon said I should/could stay out another week. I probably could have gone back after 2 but I was getting paid and was still very tired so I stayed out for 3.... Don't underestimate how tired you will probably feel. Everyone is different.

The responders probably aren't aware you are discussing the gastric plication. Are you talking about the plication done laproscopically or endoscopically?

The laproscopic procedure might get you back to a desk job after a few days, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket. A physical job (especially lifting), will take much longer, due to incisions in the abdominal wall.

The endoscopic procedure probably would have a faster recovery time, since there are no abdominal incisions (what with going through the mouth/esophagus to access the stomach).

But, these are little known procedures and I really don't know how safe/effective they are, long term. If I were interested in plication, the endoscopic procedure does look interesting. But, I am not a fan of the concept of stitches having to hold things together long term. With the sleeve gastrecomy, the wound will heal over time, so it is my own stomach tissue that keeps things together.

With the plication, what happens if you pop a stitch? I could see where the stomach would balloon back out in that little area, then food could get trapped. (I don't know if this could/would actually happen, but it would be my fear.)

Because I do a lot of heaving lifting (up to 40 lbs) over my head, I was out of work for 8 weeks. I would have never been able to go back at the two week mark. I stand and move constantly all day, 5-6 days per week with tons of bending and lifting.

I was sleeved June 21st. Had some issues post op while in hospital. I went back to work on post op day 9. I'm a nurse in OB, I did light duty- kind of. I just stuck with the newborns, and was careful with bending over, reaching and twisting. Those activities were a little uncomfortable. I'm post op day 13 now. And I still don't think I'm ready to push and pull adult patients. I guess it all depends on your job. Good luck!

I had complications was in the hospital for five days and was back to work in two weeks. I also walked as much as possible in the hospital and then walked 2 miles a day when I got home once in the morning and once at night.

I was lucky, I had no pain or real discomfort after any of my surgeries. Didn't need any paid meds. Was discharged on day 2 after sleeve and bypass and back to work in 3 days. My work is fairly sedentary though. Office based within a hospital with some walking around throughout the day. I am having the gastric plication and the lengthening of the roux limb on Tuesday next week (5th Dec) and am expecting to get discharged on the 6th or 7th at the absolute latest then back to work on the 9th.