Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do they have a weigh in at support group?

Hi all,

I started this journey back in January with a seminar and had my first visit with the surgeon in Feb. My surgeon's program requires a long process before surgery. I have to do 6 months with dietitian ( only first and last are one on one .. the rest in between are in a group setting , a psychiatric evaluation , blood work and tests and finally visit 3 support groups before you get final surgeon visit. I am half way finished with my program and need to go to the first support group . I have bad social anxiety and always stress myself out before having to do anything new. Google doesn't help me with preparing for support group. Do they weigh you in first like the dietitian group meetings? Do you have to talk or can you just listen and take notes? It seems not many have to do support groups before surgery. I could always call the office but my social anxiety also extends to phone calls. Thanks for your help :)

We did not have to weigh in at the support groups I go to. We were told that we don't have to speak up if we don't wish to do so. I don't like speaking in front of a group myself so I was relieved to listen. There are always plenty of people that will speak up and everyone is at different points in the program so it makes it nice to hear others viewpoints....best of everything! Hope that helps!

Sent from my VS987 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey there,

My insurance required 4 dietitian visits and my third visit, it was a group setting. I was wondering how they was going to do the weigh in part, but it was more like a presentation and open forum for any questions we may have. I had to ask if I could right myself after everyone left. It wasn't mentioned at all about weight. My last visit with the dietician is next Wednesday and it is also a group setting.

We did not have to weigh in at the support groups I go to. We were told that we don't have to speak up if we don't wish to do so. I don't like speaking in front of a group myself so I was relieved to listen. There are always plenty of people that will speak up and everyone is at different points in the program so it makes it nice to hear others viewpoints....best of everything! Hope that helps!

Sent from my VS987 using BariatricPal mobile app

The support groups are the best place to ask questions from people that have already been there, don't waste your time not asking questions, no questions are stupid and usually some one else is wondering the same but also afraid to speak up. This is important so use your voice and learn all you can you can never be prepared too much. I also recommend the big book on whatever procedure you're having I found in the Bariatric store and its well worth it

Sent from my N9519 using BariatricPal mobile app

The support groups are the best place to ask questions from people that have already been there, don't waste your time not asking questions, no questions are stupid and usually some one else is wondering the same but also afraid to speak up. This is important so use your voice and learn all you can you can never be prepared too much. I also recommend the big book on whatever procedure you're having I found in the Bariatric store and its well worth it

Thank you for liking my post I like to help anyone going thru this because my whole family was against me. I almost cancelled but I put it off six years ago and I'm so happy I followed thru despite all the horror stories they told me or how much my mom expressed her dismay. My mom is full Italian so Italian families know you don't just brush off moms words, I think the idea of not eating Pasta was the worst reaction but I compromised and ate 1/2 to 1 cup only and only once a week that was before surgery but now she's worried I will only be able to have a few bites and I'll be full. I couldn't believe that a few spoonfuls would fill me up either but it does and I don't think constantly about food. Its AWESOME!!!

When I was new no one would answer my questions and I don't want to be that person, if you ask me something I will try my best to answer you regarding my experience, your experience could be totally different I'm just giving suggestions on what I went through and to help you realize its not such a voodoo people make it out to be.Your going to fall in love with not craving such food that you can't stop eating til you get sick.

We never weigh in. It is an unspoken understanding. We also do not decision the scale. We spend our time talking about rants, issues, temptations, family and etc. To use the scale is nonexistent and we spend it getting help and know one another.

Thank you for your responses! I went tonight and you guys were right .. no scale! We listened to peoples stories and talked about all sorts of things ranging from Vitamin regiments to pulling out the drain tubes after surgery. Very interesting stuff. I have 2 more mandatory support group meetings to check off my long lists of prerequisites. If I didnt have to drive so far ( and them only being in the evening time ) I would think about going to more . Thanks again!!

I only have to see the dietitian 3 times and 1 support group can be in person or online. I chose to do it online. I started my Journey this month June 2017 and I've already went to all my appointments heart, stomach, psychiatry they are fast here. They set all my app right after I meet my surgeon one after another. So all I have now is meet with the dietitian three more times and one online support group. Can't wait to get my date for surgery!!! Scared but excited!!!!