Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let me tell you my story real quick.

I had Gastric Sleeve 8/14/2014. It was a real success SW: 387 and I lost 122 pounds in about 6 months. I kept it off for another six months, but after I lost my sister and got custody of her son, I became depressed. I am still mourning her loss, but I am better than I used to be due to medications, therapy, etc. I gained 60 pounds during 2016. I felt like a failure and I asked about revision surgery.

Bluegrass Bariatrics told me there was a revision called Duodenal Switch and I am in the process of my 6 month diet so my insurance can approve surgery.

For the people that had the revision surgery, what were you reasons? Anything similar to mine? What is like after surgery? Please give me all the info you want to share. I am scared to go under the knife again!

First off you are not a failure. The sleeve is the most difficult to have long term success with because it is almost completely restrictive alone. Bypass and DS have components that prevent absorption of nutrients that aid in keeping the weight off.

I had the DS three years ago. Went from 371 to 255. From a size 32 to an XL.

Your diet will change radically as you MUST eat Fat to survive. You will only absorb about 20% of the fat you consume, if you don't get adequate fat in your diet you will get constipated, dry skin, and Vitamin deficiency. [Nutritionists will try to put you on a low fat diet, don't do it!! I eat bacon and butter everyday. (FYI if you do get constipated a slice of cheesecake works overnight like a charm.)]

Protein is the key for the DS, it's going to sound impossible but you must consume between 100-120gm of protein per day, and since you will only absorb about 20gm per hour you will have to space it out throughout the day in 5-6 meals and Snacks. I use Protein Shakes (Premier) and bars.

You also MUST take vitamin supplements that need to be chewable so they can be absorbed quickly. Regular OTC Vitamins will not break down in your new system. Flinstones will not be enough to sustain you. I use Celebrate brand bariatric vitamins; MULTI- ADEK 3x per day, Calcium plus 500 3x per day, Vitamin D 5000iu 3x per day, Biotin 5000 mcg 1 daily, I also take Zinc because I'm deficient. Many also take Iron and Potassium, common deficiencies. Bottom line is they are not cheap but you will have to take them religiously. You might want to get on an auto ship plan or you will be getting familiar with your local health store.

Your chance of regaining with the DS is less than 5% over 10 years. Find a local DS specific support group, you'll need advice from the experienced. And there are a couple of Facebook groups for bariatric patients. "Bariatric Chatters"is one I'm involved with. It has all surgeries but they are a great group to know.

IMG_7269.JPG.fb34380904b45968bd9100dea84ac229.JPG

July 2014

IMG_7268.JPG.d9e24efb68dda5ee60e90d5f3f7163ff.JPG

May 2027

First off you are not a failure. The sleeve is the most difficult to have long term success with because it is almost completely restrictive alone. Bypass and DS have components that prevent absorption of nutrients that aid in keeping the weight off.
I had the DS three years ago. Went from 371 to 255. From a size 32 to an XL.
Your diet will change radically as you MUST eat Fat to survive. You will only absorb about 20% of the fat you consume, if you don't get adequate fat in your diet you will get constipated, dry skin, and Vitamin deficiency. [Nutritionists will try to put you on a low fat diet, don't do it!! I eat bacon and butter everyday. (FYI if you do get constipated a slice of cheesecake works overnight like a charm.)]
Protein is the key for the DS, it's going to sound impossible but you must consume between 100-120gm of protein per day, and since you will only absorb about 20gm per hour you will have to space it out throughout the day in 5-6 meals and Snacks. I use Protein Shakes (Premier) and bars.
You also MUST take vitamin supplements that need to be chewable so they can be absorbed quickly. Regular OTC Vitamins will not break down in your new system. Flinstones will not be enough to sustain you. I use Celebrate brand bariatric vitamins; MULTI- ADEK 3x per day, Calcium plus 500 3x per day, Vitamin D 5000iu 3x per day, Biotin 5000 mcg 1 daily, I also take Zinc because I'm deficient. Many also take Iron and Potassium, common deficiencies. Bottom line is they are not cheap but you will have to take them religiously. You might want to get on an auto ship plan or you will be getting familiar with your local health store.
Your chance of regaining with the DS is less than 5% over 10 years. Find a local DS specific support group, you'll need advice from the experienced. And there are a couple of Facebook groups for bariatric patients. "Bariatric Chatters"is one I'm involved with. It has all surgeries but they are a great group to know.
IMG_7269.JPG.fb34380904b45968bd9100dea84ac229.JPG
July 2014
IMG_7268.JPG.d9e24efb68dda5ee60e90d5f3f7163ff.JPG
May 2027

I just started potassium because mine was 2.9 and I was really really sick. I don't take zinc but I do take Vitamin C for absorption if iron and immunity. I feel I'm to delicate to be sick. Also good for skin and hair. I take a probiotic as well to bring comfort to my raging gut.