Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Early Plateau: Is something wrong?

My surgery was on June 7th. I lost 10 pounds pre surgery and 10 pounds since. But, this week the scale hasn't moved at all. I am journaling my food and being pretty strict on calories (like less than 700 a day. I can't really eat more than that). Plus, I have kicked my walking up a notch. But the scale is not budging. The only thing I know that is not helping is I still pretty constipated and have to take DulcoEase every second day just to go. I still have some side pain so I take the pain meds at night. That is still messing with my regularity, I know.

I am terrified that I spent all this money, worked so hard to stick to the plan...what if this doesn't work for me?

Please remember that it will take your body a minimum of 6 weeks to heal from the surgery. It is using a tremendous amount of energy to heal from the major shock that it has just undergone. Your body is still healing. You may still be carrying Fluid from the IVs. Try to stop with the pain meds at this point. See if Tylenol will handle the pain at night. Try it one night to see if it works. The sooner you are off the narcotics and doing more things - other than just walking, you'll be feeling better. Try changing up what you are eating, keeping in the same calorie range - change your Breakfast. Make sure you are getting all your Water.

Most importantly, give your body time to adjust. You didn't gain all the weight in 3 weeks. It's not going to come off in huge amounts in 3 weeks. Try to be patient. You 've got this.

Ugh. Me too. I'm five weeks out and have lost 12 lbs since surgery. I'm at a total stand still. It's maddening.

I will be 8 weeks out Tuesday. Started at 283 now at 233. I also had a plateau for 12 days I was stuck between 238 and 240. It finally broke two days ago and I went down to 233 and I've been there ever since. I just kept doing the same thing and eventually the scale moved for me so I think it will for you too. Good luck. I know it's frustrating but it's exciting too crossing my fingers for all of us.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I've plateau also I'm 5 weeks out and have lost 18lbs the first 2 weeks. I haven't lost anything else in 3 whole weeks. It's so hard hang in there I guess this is normal I can't help to think something is wrong 3 weeks no weight lose what's so ever & getting a stall this early on is just crazy ugh!!!

Keep us posted on what happens! Best of luck to you!

:778_heartbeat:

So we were sleeved the same day. The EXACT thing happened to me! 18 lbs the first 13 days and then absolutely NOTHING until 3 days ago. I started eating every two hours and I upped my exercise to include some arm strengthen exercises and a VERY light jog on part of my walk(it's more like a shuffle really because I'm still afraid of jarring movements, but it seems to get my heart rate going a little faster than just walking alone). I also actually took out a Protein Shake. So I have 1 Protein shake (Premier with 30grams protein), 1 serving cottage cheese (10 g protein), 1 yogurt (Greek triple 0 has 15 g protein), 1 spoonful hummus, I spoonful Peanut Butter, 1/4 cup broccoli cheddar or chicken soup). It's under 600 calories, and it seems to be working because I'm now down 3 lbs in 3 days. Or maybe it doesn't even matter and it was just naturally time for the stall to end. Whatever the case, I'm glad to see the scale moving again. Good luck to you! Just remember, nobody EVER stopped losing for good 2 weeks after weight loss surgery. Our body is just a little freaked out right now, I'm sure.

Search week three stall. It's infamous.

Hang in there and stay the course!

Thanks for all the support! This forum is amazing and just the rally and insight I needed.

Ugh. Me too. I'm five weeks out and have lost 12 lbs since surgery. I'm at a total stand still. It's maddening.

If you don't mind, what are your stats? I think you are a couple of weeks ahead of me. Everyone keeps mentioning a 3 week stall. I am starting that tomorrow. I am 47 and need to lose around 56 pounds.

The scale started moving again. I met with my doctor this week and she was great with tips. Part of this journey is definitely retraining the brain. One of my issues...its noon...time for lunch. But she talked to me about really listening to my body. Am I hungry or am I eating out of habit?

Glad to report that the scale is moving again! More important than that...I am feeling motivated.

Thanks for the support.

First post and I am here for the same reason. Surgery 6/23 lost 16 pounds the first 2 weeks....gained back 2 😢 now nothing. scale has not budged. Feeling a little deflated.

4 hours ago, BariatricBobbie said:

First post and I am here for the same reason. Surgery 6/23 lost 16 pounds the first 2 weeks....gained back 2 😢 now nothing. scale has not budged. Feeling a little deflated.

I was the same. But I met with my doctor and she encouraged me to really listen to my body. I was trying to eat at certain common meal times...and wasn't losing weight and having major hiccups. She basically said I was overeating even though I was eating less than 800 calories. I did what she asked because I wasn't hungry it was just my habit to have lunch at 12. And, I always stopped immediately when the hiccups came and didn't try to finish it in an hour like I was doing before. Plus, I stopped trying to eat breakfast. I am always nauseous in the morning. So, I stick to coffee and have a shake mid-morning. I didn't see how a body could survive on so little calories. But that is the glory of the surgery...for a short time we can and we can capitalize on those "non-hungry" months.

Happy to say since making those changes I have dropped 10 pounds. Keep the faith and listen to your body.

Best of luck friend.