Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth control? for the ladies

My nutritionist recommend going on birth control. Will this affect weightloss? I'm currently in a relationship I'm still a virgin, but I think I'm ready to take the next step in my relationship with my partner. Just curious if this will affect weightloss??

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I would be very careful about getting pregnant so yes you should use some form of birth control. Condoms work if you don't like the idea of using the pill. You could also get fitted for an IUD.

You'll need to do some research on the different methods though. See which is good for you. Although I don't and can't see weight gain as a side effect after having wls (can't eat much!!-unless you eat the wrong foods).

But I'm different, lol, I would encourage you to save yourself too if you can. No worries about pregnancy for sure.

Just be safe hon.

Most surgeons advise to not get pregnant for over a year after surgery, so birth control that is very effective is required.

From what I've heard, IUDs are generally discouraged for women who haven't had children. I have the nexplanon implant in my arm and I love it! I only get my period once every couple of months now.

I started taking the pill when I was 16 and was on it for 3-4 years (I was still a virgin, but I had awful PMS cramps). With the pill, I had to remember to take them at the same time every day and they slightly increased my blood pressure because of the estrogen. The nice thing about the pill is that you can control when you get your period. So those are some things to consider.

Hormonal methods of birth control (the pill, nexplanon, mirena, etc) are among the most effective contraceptive methods, I'd highly suggest you look into them first. Barrier methods (condoms, female condoms, dental dams) should be used in addition to hormonal methods to protect against STIs, even then, they are not 100% effective. I don't care what your partner's history is, it's good practice for both of you to talk about your histories AND get checked before fooling around. (It'd really suck if your partner didn't even know they had something and you got an STI your first time) It does not matter if they're also a virgin or not, STIs can be spread through oral sex, sharing of sex toys, sharing of bodily fluids, etc.

DO NOT rely on the pull out method, YOU CAN GET PREGNANT YOUR FIRST TIME, and also I don't suggest you rely on charting ovulation either.

Also, don't rush into it. You have all the time in the world and you should feel emotionally and physically ready for it :)

Edited by PAstudent

Also, weight fluctuations (both gain and loss) are noted side effects of hormonal birth control. However, most of this is due to Water retention and sometimes increased appetite. You've had WLS, the likelihood of you gaining significant weight from something like this is slim.

If you start on the pill, you have the option to try several different types until you land on the version that works best with your body :)

Find/talk to your gynecologist, you'll be able to ask more in depth questions that are particular to you <3

On 6/22/2017 at 8:54 PM, Sosewsue61 said:

Most surgeons advise to not get pregnant for over a year after surgery, so birth control that is very effective is required.

I use the Nuva Ring my doc said it was fine to have... he also recommended not getting pregnant for a year after THANK GOD FLR THE SINGLE LIFE LOL

I was told no birth control 2 weeks prior to surgery and no BC 6 weeks later plus no getting pregnant for at least a year. And, you would have to use BC and condoms because BC can be less effective as you lose weight.

The no BC is to avoid blood clots so I am ignoring the order as I plan to be active as soon as I wake from surgery. I recently had to stop BC for 4 weeks and I felt like I was dying. So screw that! I'm single but I need it to control my periods.

I was told no bc pills period after surgery. I have the Mirena iud and it's great so far. I've never had kids or gotten pregnant and my dr suggested it to me.

I was told no bc pills period after surgery. I have the Mirena iud and it's great so far. I've never had kids or gotten pregnant and my dr suggested it to me.

I'm in love with your screen name choice [emoji7]

I have the Mirena IUD and love it. But I also have 4 kids and do not plan to have any more. I've had IUDs for 6.5 years now and have had no issues. But talk to your doctor as I have heard of women who were on the pill in the early stages of weight loss where it wasn't as effective as their weight was fluctuating.