Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I know if it's GERD?

I'm 25 days Post-Op and everything was going well until I reached soft foods. I keep experiencing minor heart burn/indigestion. I have had this things pre sleeve so I am familiar with the feeling however it seems to persist longer and longer each day. I am eating mild foods only and avoiding spice, citrus, and anything else known to give me heartburn but it seems that no matter what I eat it persists. Is this GERD or am I paranoid? It also seems that everything I eat lately (other than yogurt) has been leaving with me with a queasy feeling. Am I eating too quickly? Has anyone else experienced any of this? Thanks for your help!

Edited by thabenski

Did you ever have a barium swallow done? Most definitely should have if you got WLS done in May, especially if you say you had GERD issues before surgery.

Also, can you specify as to what you're eating/drinking, how often, whether you're eating/drinking together, etc?

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

I did not have a barium swallow done. I didn't have GERD issues before surgery just minor heartburn/indigestion caused by what I was eating (which was basically fast food and other crap). I was just saying that I've experienced heartburn before so that's how I know what it feels like.

As far as what I eat now - I'm still in soft foods so eggs, fish, chicken (though I havent tolerated it well), yogurt, Jello, Soups, Protein Shakes, almond butter, string cheese, lean turkey lunch meat and sweet potatoes. That's about all I've got in rotation these days. I only drink Water or watered down gatorade G2. No eating and drinking together.

I plan to go to my doctor, I was just wondering if anyone else has had these experiences and if it turned out to be GERD

I hardly ever had heart burn before surgery but boy did I have it after. I had a swallow test and they found a small hiatal hernia. Certain types of foods actually still makes it play up but I can control it now.

Definitely speak to your surgeon about it. I had to be on omeprazole for about a month to sort it but eventually it has.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches