Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve next month: are there some foods we will never eat again ever?

Generally, sleeved people do not suffer from dumping. Only 3 percent of sleevers experience dumping; therefore, 97 percent of us do not dump. Nonetheless, it may be a good idea to moderate your intake of sweets or abstain from them altogether if sugary treats are one of your triggers.
I can eat chocolate without any problems. I regularly eat spicy foods such as jalapeños, Tabasco sauce, cayenne pepper, and so forth. I have not vomited since getting sleeved over two years ago.
Here's my view...rigidity regarding food choices is usually disastrous. Many people who tightly restrict their food choices and say "never" often see this tactic backfire. The more you restrict, the more intensely you may crave.
I have no forbidden foods because I am not on a diet. Restricting intake is part of the dieter mentality and I refuse to participate. Many of us sucked at long term adherence to diets prior to weight loss surgery, so why put oneself through the same misery?
Good luck to everyone. [emoji4]

Fully agree with this... but I'm also scared of sliding into my old ways if I "allow" myself to veer off-course even just a little bit. I'm pre-op so what do I know but it's a worry I harbor.

H 5'6" HW 253, CW 245, TBS 9/19

Everybody is different but for me any thick cuts of fish have made me sick every single time. I can do tilapia but anything thicker than that makes me sick. Also white meat chicken makes me vomit and I cannot eat cold lettuce. I have to let my salads reach room temperature or else it will upset my stomach. I have never had any issues with dumping.

I'm almost seven years out. Nothing is forever forbidden. Some foods I eat in smaller quantities, like rice, flour tortillas or Pasta. Those are foods you'll mostly avoid until maintenance. And beef and iceberg lettuce took me months to tolerate. The only time I experienced genuine dumping syndrome was during my gestational diabetes test, when they made me drink the glucose solution.

As you've read, moderation is the key to long term success. Unfortunately, many high calorie foods slide so being diligent about our choices matters. I'm not trying to preach. The sleeve makes it pretty easy the first year. And honestly, pretty darn easy to go back to basics and lose regain later or to keep losing even beyond a year (it took me 17 months to reach 1st goal, more than 2.5 years to get here). Just don't count on your sleeve telling you no when it comes to bad choices.

On the flip side, it will definitely tell you no if you eat too much of a food that swells. Go figure.

Cheri

The only thing I plan to never have is soda. I have had a small bite of rice but know that I will never have a serving of it again. I love spicy food and it hasn't been a problem. I really haven't found a food that causes problems. My new stomach is doing it's job of limiting my intake of food so I am doing my job of choosing the right foods. I splurge occasionally. When we have pizza, I always have one small bite with the crust and then eat the top off the rest of the piece. One piece. At dinner, I always eat my Protein but I also have 2-3 bites of a starch. Moderation is key and control over my eating is a wonderful feeling.

On 6/22/2017 at 0:59 AM, Pam_2-06-2017 said:

It was a hard concept for me to get until I was post op a couple of months. WLS does not keep you from eating anything. After you heal you will, for the most part, be able to eat anything you want but in smaller quantities. I have absolutely no problem eating anything at all. With the exception of fried potatoes, which is ok with me.

You've probably heard it before but this surgery is a tool to help you learn the self control needed to maintain a healthy weight. Consequently, you will not succeed if you do not change your relationship with food. I still enjoy a good meal but it is a rare treat to indulge myself. I stick with my plan of 60-100g of Protein and less than 25g of carbs and ensuring I drink 64 oz Water a day. Staying within that guideline has worked for me. Occasionally I slip when I'm with family or friends but my new tool helps me to get back at it the next day.

I encourage you to use pre op and post op restrictions to evaluate your relationship with food. You will mourn the loss, regret your decision, and get angry because you did this to yourself. You experience the toughest breakup you have ever known. Your very emotional relationship with food must come to an end and it hurts like hell. But!!!! There is so much joy on the other side of that.

I drive through town and never think of running through a drive thru. I can prepare a meal for my family without "tasting" a full meals worth of calories. I can go to a movie and skip the buttered popcorn. These are concepts that I did not know existed.

You will get it. You will know exactly what I mean and it will be so freeing. I am amazed what I missed because eating was so important to me.

Good luck! And take care.

I am so glad I re-read this wonderful post again today. When I first read it, I was still choosing doctors, getting the list of tests, worried about other stuff. Now that I'm being sleeved in 2.5 weeks, and I have my date as well as getting ready for pre op diet, it's a whole new perspective. I have only DAYS to eat how I have been eating. I eat very healthily, but in generous portions. And last night I was almost crying at dinner. I made beautiful roast chicken, a salad and rice. I put 1/2 c or so of rice on my plate. I may never do that again. I am starting to mourn food the way I know it.

It's sad, it's a huge change, but I'm also excited for new health, being able to do more things, looking better.

But just now I am really feeling the feels, because I know that accepting the emotions helps you get through them.

I have absolutely no desire to "pig out" but I am making corn on the cob for my family tonight and I plan on eating a whole ear. And my last day of eating will be July 4 and I might make a cherry pie.

My goal is still to cook well for my big family and just not eat it or very tiny bit. Your post made me see my goal as possible. Thanks

(I cry over hockey so why shouldn't I cry over dinner? LOL)

You will have all of those things again (maybe not the rice) but not for a while and only in small portions. I have had small portions of dessert on special occasions.

I'm really craving salad so I bought the stuff to make it and will have a small serving of it. The kind of salad I like really has no nutritional value (butter lettuce, beets, mushrooms, cheese, and ranch) so it isn't something I will have regularly but a couple times a month is fine.

It's all about balance. And really, I feel so good with the weight I have lost that I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything (most of the time). We still have to deal with our food issues but it seems easier to me.

I asked this same question and pizza was my big concern. If I couldnt eat pizza again I dont know what I would have done. So far I have been able to eat anything and everything but greasy foods make me feel really bad, not that i eat them often at all, but I have been known to sneak a french fry or two. I can eat sweets no issue but I dont really want them at all.

I know that sugary sweet stuff is out forever more or it will cause dumping. Anything else? I'm ok with saying goodbye to say candy bars or sweet cakes and Cookies. But what about other things? Two things that keep worrying me are: 85% dark chocolate, which I like to nibble on like others drink coffee. It gives me a little wake up boost. Also, spicy foods. Can we add chopped jalapeño to anything, ever? Little things like that I just don't want to say goodbye to. Anything you can never eat again because it causes dumping or pain or vomiting? Give it to me straight. [emoji4]

Dumping doesn't happen to everyone. I've never had that issue. I'm in month 6 and have tried eating pizza & a cupcake (separate occasions). The pizza was gross after I chewed it to death.

Honestly, you probably won't want to eat this kind of stuff! It's different when you are conscious of the major lifestyle change you just made, the progress you gained. But so far I've had regular foods, just without the breads, rice and Pasta. The restriction works! Measure, eat slowly and enjoy life!

I dumped once on Easter....Worst feeling ever..Pizza for me goes down easier than chicken for some reason.

Edited by JerseyJules

I am out a 1 1/2 years and I never had a "dumping problem" but I have had food get stuck. I still have sweets a little to much lately but everyone is different. I think the most important thing is to pay attention to your body it shows you signs.

What happened when food got stuck?

I am 9 months post op. You pose a valid and common question, about what we have to give up forever. Everyone will travel a unique journey but for me, I could technically eat anything I want without getting ill now, however, I literally do not want to. My body now craves the better Proteins and good fuels. In the early stages post op I did crave the bad stuff: bad carbs, etc. But I chose not to eat them, at all. Now it's just a lifestyle and I'm not even tempted to go back. I don't eat any sugars except for natural sugars in fruit, and I stay away from all white, refined flour and most processed carbs.

You mentioned chocolate, and I found that Lilly's no sugar added chocolate bar is the bomb! I only eat a little piece at a time with a spoon of Peanut Butter now and then, and it's delish! (In fact I have to HIDE it from my kids or else they will devour it!!)

I also still enjoy coffee. My surgeon and my nutritionist both told me to give up coffee but it is the one vice I held onto, and I've been successful regardless. (not telling anyone to go against doctor's advice, but just saying that I confess to having coffee every day. No sugar, just cream).

Best of luck to you in your journey!!

I forgot to mention- in regards to dumping. It has only happened to me twice in 9 months. Once with a Protein Shake and once with steak. Both times, I drank or ate WAY too fast. I'm a wolfer by nature, and I alway eat too fast, still to this day. You have to learn to slow way down and chew, chew, chew! Something I haven't mastered yet!