Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like its too soon!?

I spoke to my dr today, he wants me to move onto soft meats tomorrow. I don't understand how I can move to soft meats from the liquid stage. I haven't even tried eggs or soft foods yet. I'm nervous about this. Has anyone else moved on so fast? I had surgery a week ago tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

Try a small bite of it and swallow.. if it seems like too much, or the effect bothers you too much, don't eat any more, put it off for a week or two down the road, and go with soft solids like Beans, scrambled eggs, string cheese, etc. It's not gonna kill you. Progression from liquids is a good thing. I was on liquids for 2 weeks post-op, 3rd week started soft solids, 4th week was on regular food. It did hit me hard, but I ate very slow, and in moderation.. it's a new experience coming from liquids to solids where restriction really hits you.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

Yes, it is quite do-able, though as usual quite individual as well. We were on soft Proteins like yogurt and scrambled eggs in the hospital, and other soft foods like softer cheeses, cream of wheat, refried Beans, mashed potatoes (protein loaded, of course!) and soft meats such as tuna once home. That doesn't mean that they have to be staples yet, as much of your Protein will still come from shakes as things transition, though their general finding has been that we do better as we move into real food. You can also mix up transitional foods like tuna/chicken salad or chunkier Soups with some more meat added - "meat lube" is a good thing at this time, though it may allow you to consume more than desired later on. The general rule of thumb, as indicated above, is to try new things one at a time and in small quantities to test for tolerance. If it doesn't go, back off to something known and try again in a couple of weeks.

Yes, it is quite do-able, though as usual quite individual as well. We were on soft Proteins like yogurt and scrambled eggs in the hospital, and other soft foods like softer cheeses, cream of wheat, refried Beans, mashed potatoes (protein loaded, of course!) and soft meats such as tuna once home. That doesn't mean that they have to be staples yet, as much of your Protein will still come from shakes as things transition, though their general finding has been that we do better as we move into real food. You can also mix up transitional foods like tuna/chicken salad or chunkier Soups with some more meat added - "meat lube" is a good thing at this time, though it may allow you to consume more than desired later on. The general rule of thumb, as indicated above, is to try new things one at a time and in small quantities to test for tolerance. If it doesn't go, back off to something known and try again in a couple of weeks.

I'm afraid to start foods. I have had 0 problem with pudding broth yogurt etc. I'm deathly afraid of vomiting! I WILL try, but I'm scared. What is considered a "soft" cheese?

1 hour ago, char3672 said:

I'm afraid to start foods. I have had 0 problem with pudding broth yogurt etc. I'm deathly afraid of vomiting! I WILL try, but I'm scared. What is considered a "soft" cheese?

Start with a bite or two at a time and let the rest of the meal be something familiar. Soft cheeses would be like mozzarella (cheese sticks are a common snack staple) or the Babybel mini cheeses or spreadable swiss cheese wedges.

Vomiting will usually be from too much and you exceed your stomach's capacity, which is why we start out with very small amounts. If liquids are going through without much restriction, that's an indication that your stomach is not overly inflammed and is ready for something a little firmer. If liquids are not flowing easily through then its better to go slower in advancing; I am assuming that your doc is taking this into account in advising you to proceed.

Start with a bite or two at a time and let the rest of the meal be something familiar. Soft cheeses would be like mozzarella (cheese sticks are a common snack staple) or the Babybel mini cheeses or spreadable swiss cheese wedges.
Vomiting will usually be from too much and you exceed your stomach's capacity, which is why we start out with very small amounts. If liquids are going through without much restriction, that's an indication that your stomach is not overly inflammed and is ready for something a little firmer. If liquids are not flowing easily through then its better to go slower in advancing; I am assuming that your doc is taking this into account in advising you to proceed.

Thank you! I am going to go slowly. It's hard, because my family "feels so bad" for me not eating, that I think they are trying to push me to go faster than I'm comfortable with. I know they mean well, but I HAVE TO DO THIS how I'M confortable.

Just wanted to add, typically when I try a new food for the first time, my stomach starts gurgling quite a bit, so don't get freaked if it happens to you. The very next time I have the same food I'm fine. It's so strange...

Just wanted to add, typically when I try a new food for the first time, my stomach starts gurgling quite a bit, so don't get freaked if it happens to you. The very next time I have the same food I'm fine. It's so strange...

That's what happened with the egg! I thinkI would have been fine if I didn't have the yogurt too, I wanted to make sure I got the Protein in. Next time JUST the eggs! I am going to try cheese this afternoon.

Lots of noise and gurgling also accompany my meals. Many. Not all. It is a bit disconcerting.... sometimes if I am burping a lot I know that the food may not agree with me.
I can lie down with a heating pad on my left side and often that is enough to comfort my stomach.
Sometimes the same food on the next day reacts???
I just go with it after all these years. Not much choice

Lots of noise and gurgling also accompany my meals. Many. Not all. It is a bit disconcerting.... sometimes if I am burping a lot I know that the food may not agree with me.
I can lie down with a heating pad on my left side and often that is enough to comfort my stomach.
Sometimes the same food on the next day reacts???
I just go with it after all these years. Not much choice

Ugh. I was hoping that if a food is ok once, it will continue to be ok. Are we supposed to eat VERY slowly and tiny bites forever? Or does that change?

Mostly, I believe we figure out what our body tolerates the easiest. ( and is healthy).

For whatever reason, I'm stuck on my home made split pea Soup. Enough Fiber and small bits of ham for protein.carrots for vege in there too

I still eat fairly slow. And chew a lot. My Protein bests:

Fairlife milk. Yogurt BAKED tofu,. (Big difference) some nuts. Protein Bars. Sometimes protein drinksSometimes eggs/ occasionally rejected ? String cheese chicken thighs braised, fish

After 10 years of experimenting, that is my go to list. Hope you find your list. It helps!

Mostly, I believe we figure out what our body tolerates the easiest. ( and is healthy).
For whatever reason, I'm stuck on my home made split pea Soup. Enough fiber and small bits of ham for protein.carrots for vege in there too
I still eat fairly slow. And chew a lot. My Protein bests:
Fairlife milk. Yogurt BAKED tofu,. (Big difference) some nuts. Protein bars. Sometimes protein drinksSometimes eggs/ occasionally rejected ? String cheese chicken thighs braised, fish
After 10 years of experimenting, that is my go to list. Hope you find your list. It helps!

My doctor hasn't mentioned protein bars or nuts yet, too soon? I also use the fairlife milk and I am trying string cheese as I type this, (so far so good) I guedd I'm impatiemt. I want to be "normal" again NOW!! LOL