Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm really....I don't know...lost? I'm 4 days out and all I want to do is eat! I thought this surgery would help with that. I don't understand what the heck I'm supposed to be doing, other than Clear Liquids. I can't tell the difference between "I'm full", "I'm bloated with gas", "I'm having a spasm in my stomach", and "I'm hungry". It all feels the same! Presurgery, I would know how hungry I truely was by the intensity of my food craving. Post-surgery, the cravings are pretty intense! Is it because I'm sick to death of the stupid clear liquid diet? I mean, I've been on this stupid diet for 19 days now! And I hate sweets! I'd give just about anything for chef salad, or a nibble of cheese...or just anything that isn't sweet. And I'm over the broth already. God, I feel like a toddler in a toy isle who has just figured out the toy I bought is. Gift for someone else and I don't get to play with it. I need some direction or guidance, or a regimented daily food schedule for the rest of my liquid diet(s) phase (3 weeks!) Help!?!

Are you making your own broth? Homemade hits the spot in a way the boxed stuff just can't.

Pretty soon you will be able to start having milk. For me that was a wonderful turning point.

The aching and cramping is injury, not hunger. Just stick to the plan, and you'll make it through.

Hello. I'm 6 days post surgery today. I'm also on the liquid diet and it's really hard but just stick with it. The results will be worth it. I have been having milk from day 1 and I also add a small tea spoon of chocolate powder for taste..I have parsnip Soup which is thin in consistency. Try jelly as well. That's allowed. I'm dreading the puree stage. 🤔
Not much choice on that stage..
Keep up with good work [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G925F using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, Berry78 said:

Are you making your own broth? Homemade hits the spot in a way the boxed stuff just can't.

Pretty soon you will be able to start having milk. For me that was a wonderful turning point.

The aching and cramping is injury, not hunger. Just stick to the plan, and you'll make it through.

Yes - my partner is a chef, so we've made several broths from my favorite Soups, which has helped some. I just feel underprepared for this portion of the journey. Thanks for responding! This helped!

I could have written that post right after surgery! It can be a rough time. I was super emotional and I had all sorts of weird gas issues (the sounds my insides were making!!!) and I just felt sort of awful all the time. Looking back, it was just a few days and things got a lot better but when I was in it it felt like years of misery. So...I guess I'm just offering hugs and want to let you know that there is an end to feeling like that and things will get better soon.

2 hours ago, oshionebob said:

Hello. I'm 6 days post surgery today. I'm also on the liquid diet and it's really hard but just stick with it. The results will be worth it. I have been having milk from day 1 and I also add a small tea spoon of chocolate powder for taste..I have parsnip Soup which is thin in consistency. Try jelly as well. That's allowed. I'm dreading the puree stage. 🤔
Not much choice on that stage..
Keep up with good work

What do you use for chocolate powder? Just curious.

i can't have anything but Clear Liquids until the 27th! It's feels like an eternity! Lol

Im looking forward to the puréed stage. Basically, at that point, I can satisfy my flavor palette with anything I want to eat...it will just look like the stuff they serve in the nursing home.

Thanks for responding! We should keep in touch!

10 hours ago, Shesacleverone said:

I'm really....I don't know...lost? I'm 4 days out and all I want to do is eat! I thought this surgery would help with that. I don't understand what the heck I'm supposed to be doing, other than Clear Liquids. I can't tell the difference between "I'm full", "I'm bloated with gas", "I'm having a spasm in my stomach", and "I'm hungry". It all feels the same! Presurgery, I would know how hungry I truely was by the intensity of my food craving. Post-surgery, the cravings are pretty intense! Is it because I'm sick to death of the stupid clear liquid diet? I mean, I've been on this stupid diet for 19 days now! And I hate sweets! I'd give just about anything for chef salad, or a nibble of cheese...or just anything that isn't sweet. And I'm over the broth already. God, I feel like a toddler in a toy isle who has just figured out the toy I bought is. Gift for someone else and I don't get to play with it. I need some direction or guidance, or a regimented daily food schedule for the rest of my liquid diet(s) phase (3 weeks!) Help!?!

I too am struggling. We have to be patient. I told a friend, I am ready for solid food, but my sleeve is not. Have faith (so I'm told by others) that it will get better, it's just a matter of time. In the meantime, try to make the liquid step of the journey as pleasant as possible. Experiment with different recipies and don't force yourself to eat the things that you don't like anymore. (For me, since surgery, now all of a sudden chicken broth tastes like Epsom salt, I don't know why lol.)

You are in my thoughts and we will get through this together!

It will get better I promise! I am at week 7 and felt the same like I was hungry and just wanted to eat. Then week 5 came along and it got much better. Week 3 I started ground Protein and I think that helps too! I hope it gets better for you soon!

An intense craving isn't hunger. There is a reason we are all here...intense cravings! Haha!

The first couple weeks are hard because our stomach is trying to heal, we can't figure out how to use and we are dealing with head hunger aka cravings. I took Prilosec or Zantac the first month and also Gas-X strips here and there. Acid can disguise itself as many things.

It is miserable right now but believe me when I say that it is all worth it. I am 50 lbs down and feel amazing. You will be able to have real food soon. Take care of yourself!

Why this is so hard stems from a number of issues most of us face having to go through WLS...

Psychologically, as compulsive eaters, it becomes ingrained into our daily life that we need to eat excessive amounts. It takes overcoming of what we did to ourselves to change this, and whatever psychological element we go through that compels us to consume this way.

And discipline.. many of us were simply not disciplined in how we went about things, so we suffered the consequences of it.

Having to suddenly find yourself disciplined and moderating is a massive psychological and physiological shock -- the body doesn't like sudden changes. So the side effects of this is something we unfortunately have to bear and get past.. which generally does happen with time and discipline.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

I'm really....I don't know...lost? I'm 4 days out and all I want to do is eat! I thought this surgery would help with that. I don't understand what the heck I'm supposed to be doing, other than clear liquids. I can't tell the difference between "I'm full", "I'm bloated with gas", "I'm having a spasm in my stomach", and "I'm hungry". It all feels the same! Presurgery, I would know how hungry I truely was by the intensity of my food craving. Post-surgery, the cravings are pretty intense! Is it because I'm sick to death of the stupid clear liquid diet? I mean, I've been on this stupid diet for 19 days now! And I hate sweets! I'd give just about anything for chef salad, or a nibble of cheese...or just anything that isn't sweet. And I'm over the broth already. God, I feel like a toddler in a toy isle who has just figured out the toy I bought is. Gift for someone else and I don't get to play with it. I need some direction or guidance, or a regimented daily food schedule for the rest of my liquid diet(s) phase (3 weeks!) Help!?!

I feel you. I ended up almost dying during surgery due to an unforeseen complication that almost caused me to bleed to death- nothing on the fault of my surgeon, just bad luck.
I was stuck in the hospital for 11 days. I swore if I had to drink one more sweet thing I was going to shriek my blasted head off! Soups helped- which since you are still clear broth won't work for you yet.
I was super discouraged right after, not just from the complications I had but also because I "felt" hungry but the minute I tried to eat it was just not happening.
That shock/depression/discouragement was added to because I actually gained 50 pounds of Fluid from ivs and forced fluids while in the hospital. Nothing like going in for this procedure and coming out even heavier! That's where I completely understand your "gift for someone else" image.
There is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm almost 6 months out. I'm 63 pounds (113 if I add in the fluid weight loss [emoji23]) down. I feel so much better- even with the ongoing problems I have from the complications. I can eat pretty much anything and yet the desire to do so is greatly reduced.
Set a schedule and keep it. That will help. Try Bone Broth. Journal your feelings- is it a longing for what you miss, the taste or emotions the foods being, or thinking you should be hungry?
This is a good place for support. Good luck.

How to make broth..

I like to simmer a bunch of chicken legs for several hours in a large pot. At the beginning add about 1/2-1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of pepper (if tolerated). A couple teaspoons of italian seasoning (a premade mix like oregano and such). Garlic, onions, carrots.

Strain, and scoop off the fat off the top.

Same idea with any meat. Might change seasonings for beef or pork.

Go to your local grocer and buy a $5 whole rotisserie chicken. Pick the chicken off the bone and freeze it for when you can eat it. Then boiled the carcass slowly and season to tast.

i was on Clear Liquids for one week...and I was counting the days to full liquids, which included strained creamed Soup, milk.....I was loving it!

i know its hard, but you can do this.....and it will be worth it!

My very best wishes to you!

What do you use for chocolate powder? Just curious.
i can't have anything but clear liquids until the 27th! It's feels like an eternity! Lol
Im looking forward to the puréed stage. Basically, at that point, I can satisfy my flavor palette with anything I want to eat...it will just look like the stuff they serve in the nursing home.
Thanks for responding! We should keep in touch!

Hi.

I just use nesquick choc powder and I use 1 small tea spoon with 150 semi skimmed milk. Tastes lovely and it's not too much sugar.
I'm on Tomatoe Soup today which has been a nice change.
How u getting on? [emoji4]