Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Transitioning Band to the Sleeve

Hello Everyone. My name is Chasity. This year has been 7 years since I had my band placed. This worked great and approx 5 years into the process I had completely changed my life. I was down 130 pounds and at the lowest weight I had seen since high school. I had energy I long ago forgot I had. This was great and this energy greatly improved my children and my lives. We were so active and eating much healthier. One of the reasons I did the surgery was to ensure I was using all the tools I could to provide a healthy lifestyle for my children. Coming from an obese family I feared my kids would pick up the same bad habits. Although, even at my largest I was very strict about what my children consumed.

The last two years I started having great difficulties. My band ended up prolapsing and all the Fluid had to be removed. My stomach relaxed down and we started filling the band again. Shortly after my second fill I had problems beginning again. The doctor felt the band prolapsed again and removed all the fluid. I went back and had another upper GI to find even with no fluid the band was still moderately restricting. This was causing great difficulty with eating. I was vomiting and having a hard time eating any foods beyond Cereal, Soup, turkey bacon, and yogurt. It was decided the band needs to be removed and the thought is to convert to the sleeve at the same time.

I know very little about the sleeve and worry about if this is the right choice. I had no problem with the band up to this point and had no significant health side effects. I have heard some concerns about the dangers of the sleeve and worry being a single mom of three if this is the best choice for me. I would really appreciate any feedback on the conversion. The dangers, side effects, and potential risks. I have not met with the surgeon yet to discuss this as I have testing I have to complete prior to meeting with him. But I would like to have some idea of what I am facing at decision time. I would appreciate any advise. Thank you and best wishes to all as you go through and continue through the process.

Chasity

Hi Chasity,

I'm probably not far along in my Journey enough to tell you much!
I just had my band removed, revision to sleeve on June 26.

I am on my puréed foods this week, and can begin " real food " Monday.

All I can tell you so far, when I woke up from surgery, I hurt so much more than I expected!! I had acid reflux really bad, causing me to stay a 3rd night in hospital (well, couldn't get fluids in due to acid reflux!) The reflux has settled a great deal. My incision is still quite tender, but looks wonderful. I do have swelling on my left side still, I'm thinking it's due to my port removal.

I wish I could tell you more!

Read all you can! I was vomiting years after my band. I have not once since this surgery

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches