Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you choose the bypass?

Hi guys

I am having surgery on 15th September and have been put down for a sleeve but I've changed my mind and am planning to ask for a change to bypass.

Was wondering if anyone else is having surgery in September and if anyone has any opinions on sleeve vs bypass or please let me know why you chose the bypass?

Ooops. I was typing away and realized that you posted this on the bypass forum. Hope you don't mind a response from a sleever.....

My doctor brought me in for my last appointment about a week before my surgery date and that was when I had to make my final decision on what surgery I was choosing. Up until then, the approvals and diet and prep were the same for both surgeries, so he said he didnt need to know until then - I think it only matters to them as they plan out the surgery schedule for the day. - so don't feel pressured if you change your mind a few times.

they are both good surgeries. each has pros and cons. the trick is to pick the one that matches you. Here are some factors to take into account.... reflux, diabetes, how much you need to lose. malabsorption, and complication rates.

If you follow the averages, RNY has greater and quicker weight loss rate..but be careful with those stats. So many people don't make lasting changes and they screw up the averages. By the 2 year mark, for people who are making lifestyle changes and really using WLS as a tool and not relying on it to do all the work, the percentages are the same.

Good luck in September :)

I had RNY gastric bypass because I had severe acid reflux (GERD) prior to surgery and the sleeve will only make this condition worse. RNY has been around for several decades and is almost the gold standard in weight loss surgery. They have most of the bugs worked out. Also I did not want to undergo surgery a second time. Once is enough for me. The rate of revision surgery is extremely low for this type of operation.

Ooops. I was typing away and realized that you posted this on the bypass forum. Hope you don't mind a response from a sleever.....
My doctor brought me in for my last appointment about a week before my surgery date and that was when I had to make my final decision on what surgery I was choosing. Up until then, the approvals and diet and prep were the same for both surgeries, so he said he didnt need to know until then - I think it only matters to them as they plan out the surgery schedule for the day. - so don't feel pressured if you change your mind a few times.
they are both good surgeries. each has pros and cons. the trick is to pick the one that matches you. Here are some factors to take into account.... reflux, diabetes, how much you need to lose. malabsorption, and complication rates.
If you follow the averages, RNY has greater and quicker weight loss rate..but be careful with those stats. So many people don't make lasting changes and they screw up the averages. By the 2 year mark, for people who are making lifestyle changes and really using WLS as a tool and not relying on it to do all the work, the percentages are the same.
Good luck in September [emoji4]

Hi Deeveg
Thank you so much for your reply, really appreciate the information. I am constantly going back and forth so hoping to make a solid choice and be happy with it.
I understand this is a tool and I need to make lifelong lifestyle changes.
Really excited for this opportunity
Hope your surgery goes well and you recover easily [emoji3]

I had RNY gastric bypass because I had severe acid reflux (GERD) prior to surgery and the sleeve will only make this condition worse. RNY has been around for several decades and is almost the gold standard in weight loss surgery. They have most of the bugs worked out. Also I did not want to undergo surgery a second time. Once is enough for me. The rate of revision surgery is extremely low for this type of operation.

Hi James
This is one of my key reasons for changing to the bypass, my surgeon was very pro RNY and mentioned it is the gold standard and more research on it. I'm fortunate not to have acid reflux so there's no pro in that term however I agree I want surgery as a one time thing.
Thanks for your help [emoji3]