Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post- op and I need help!!!

I just had my rny done 2 days ago. Tuesday June 13th and I cannot seem to get all my Protein and liquids in...what was everyones intake the first day or 2, first week, and so on??? What protein were you getting in??

Aw...these next two weeks are tough. Your priority right now is to stay hydrated. Dehydration is common because your tummy is so swollen it can't hold more than a couple of ounces at a time. Some people can hold more. I couldn't. You will build up to getting all your Protein as your swollen tummy settles down. It is important to sip, sip, sip all day . I made 2 ounce servings of Protein Shake and set my phone to remind me every 30 minutes to an hour to drink one. Then sip Water in between. I didn't get all 60g of protein until week 3. By week 5 I was up to 100g no problem. You're doing no great!

First 4 days or so, I could not get but maybe 3oz of anything. I did not try for 3 shakes a day, and only got most of 1 in. It's more important to get Water down. I got a no spill sippy cup to sip on all day. Just constantly be sipping small sips of water. By the end of the 1st week things we're getting easier. I was able to get almost all 8oz of a shake down and drink about 48oz of water, things get easier!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using BariatricPal mobile app

I wasn't drinking much let alone Protein. The most of any liquid I could get in was less than an ounce. All I could have was broth, Water, Jello and popsicles that first week.... Which doesn't really have any nutritional value.

----------------------------

HW- 273
Pre-op Wt- 230
SW- 226
CW- 197
GW- 130
Ht- 5'2.5"
DOS- April 26th, 2017

"Only those who try will become." ~FFX

Immediately after surgery your body is in a major heal mode. So don't be too concerned if you cannot meet the daily Fluid and Protein goals. Just keep trying each day and your volume should increase each day.

The fluid requirement is met by a combination. It is not only the Water that you drink each day. But also the water you drink when you take your Vitamins and medicine. It is the milk you drink. It is the fluids content of the Protein Shakes. It is the water component of the Soups you take. It is met by flavored water such as Crystal Light. It is met by sugar free popsicles. It is met by tea and Decaf coffee. It is a combination of all the fluids that you consume during the day.

I was sleeved yesterday, I did great in the hospital with Water, popsicles &broth. Now that I'm home, I'm gagging on water or even nothing! I am not getting much in at all. Just popsicles. I just got home this afternoon. I feel like I'm already starting to regret it, but I have read that's common. I hope this gets better!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, NAK8825 said:

I just had my rny done 2 days ago. Tuesday June 13th and I cannot seem to get all my Protein and liquids in...what was everyones intake the first day or 2, first week, and so on??? What Protein were you getting in??

My doctor told me no Protein Drinks until 4 days post op.

I am 2 weeks post op and I am just now able to drink a bit more but atill nowhere close to the 64oz of liquid they recommend. Protein Shakes? Forget it... The smell alone makes me gag and I just cannot drink them, which is a huge concern to me bit my body seems to be rejecting them, so I will need to talk to my doctor about that. But... Overall, as you can see, most of us have been on the same boat. It will get better, I promise.

I'm 2 weeks post op also. Same thing. I can get maybe half that in 1 Protein Shake a day spilt up at different times. I eat a Greek yogurt every morning with my meds. Before surgery my PCP told me to watch yogurt because they're also high in carbs, anyone else told that? Then something soft for dinner like the other day my husband got me pintos and cheese from taco bell, I was able to eat almost the whole dish. I fell good though, I don't feel dehydrated and I'm urinating fine. I think some of us just taker longer to get to different points. WhenI left the hospital I could only dip my tongue in the med cup of Water, it hurt to bad to swallow a sip. The 3rd day I forced myself to drink a sip every 5 minutes. And if I felt sick from it I'd take a break for an hour. I think you need to trust how you feel. If you feel like you're not getting enough fluids cal your doctor.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for all the replies everyone!!! I was trying to drink Unjury with milk these past couple of days and couldnt get that much in...today i tried the iso100 clear and since 8 this morning ive drank 2 20oz bottles which is 80 grams of Protein plus 8 ounces of Water which makes my 48oz daily goal for this 1st week. I tried these preop and hated them and now they taste so much better and go down alot easier than the powder protein!!!