Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adding protein shakes

www. unjury.com

You can also get a Protein sampler from Bariatric Eating - Protein, Vitamins, Gastric Bypass & Lap Band Info, Post-op recipes, and Help. Some of it is low-quality stuff, though, like the New whey Bullet and the canned drinks. Some of the samples are pretty good, though. One of the better rules to follow when choosing protein is 1) no Calcium caseinate, and 2) no collagenic protein. Both are extremely low quality Proteins.

Anyway, Matrix chocolate is a good protein, as is whey Gourmet's chocolate Peanut Butter.

HELLO!

I am really confused about Protein. I didn't have any protein after surgery and my muscles started to cramp. When I went back to the doctor, I asked, and was told I needed to take a protein supplement. The one recommended was beneprotein, like benefiber only it is protein. It seemed expensive for only seven grams of protein. I decided to come on this site and try to find something else. Yesterday I fell, my leg muscle just didn't seem to work. It took me about two hours and three people to get off the floor. My husband went and got some Protein Powder from GNC. Bless his heart he even tried to make me a banana shake with it. It tasted awlful and I couldn't drink it. I looked on the package and it said it came in chocolate..more to my taste. Has anyone used this and does it seem to help. Sorry this is sooo long, but as I said at first....I am confused. Thanks for any advice....bev

HELLO!

I am really confused about Protein. I didn't have any Protein after surgery and my muscles started to cramp. When I went back to the doctor, I asked, and was told I needed to take a protein supplement. The one recommended was beneprotein, like benefiber only it is protein. It seemed expensive for only seven grams of protein. I decided to come on this site and try to find something else. Yesterday I fell, my leg muscle just didn't seem to work. It took me about two hours and three people to get off the floor. My husband went and got some protein powder from GNC. Bless his heart he even tried to make me a banana shake with it. It tasted awlful and I couldn't drink it. I looked on the package and it said it came in chocolate..more to my taste. Has anyone used this and does it seem to help. Sorry this is sooo long, but as I said at first....I am confused. Thanks for any advice....bev

I would seriously urge you to go to your doctor and get some blood work. Namely, a chem panel. That kind of a muscle problem is often times from low potassium and if your potassium is low, you could die.

It is sodium and potassium that make your heart beat, low potassium is common and it can be quite serious if not treated. One of the major symptoms is muscle cramping and before you go to the store and buy potassium supplements, don't. First of all you don't know if that is what the problem is. Also, the dose is soooo low in over the counter supplements it isn't going to do much good anyway. You need to get this diagnosed immediately. Don't waste time, do it in the morning!

I'm not even going to discuss protein with you at this time, you need to get your labs checked. When a chem panel is done your protein is also checked. If it is low, it will show up.

Please, do this.

Hello Wasa,

I am really touched at your concern. I think I will be ok tho. I think now that it must have been the way I had my leg under me when I was sitting on the couch. Once up...I was fine and could walk alright and all. I will make an appt to see my regular doctor tho. I haven't had a check up in about three years so it is about time for one. Thanks again for your concern...I really appreciate it. Take Care....bev

SO SORRY!!

I didn't realize I was under my son's name. We both use the same computer sometimes. I didn't think to look whose name was on. Sorry..that entry was from BeverlyJane and not Bozlee.

I dont go crazy making sure I have a protien drink or anything but I like the pre-mixed ones and they are handy for Breakfast. I dont have a lot of time in the mornings and am usually not hungry until closer to lunch time so its perfect for me. It cant hurt? I also agree about the exercise... step it up and the scale will move.

I agree, if you're otherwise not going to eat breakfast, which I am VERY prone to doing due to time issues, then a Protein shake is a really good breakfast time meal.

I like my dose of high fibre grains in the morning, but I'd rather have a Protein Shake than something worthless like white toast or Cornflakes.

I just can't do Protein Shakes anymore. Really burnt out of them. Even the thought just gags me. The other thing is there's a ton of calories in those suckers. Like another poster said I also don't go nuts with the Protein. I always am on the lookout though for food with high protein..beans..eggwhites..that sort of thing. But I cannot do protein shakes anymore. Oh man the bad breath I had too..ughh..nope just can't.

I just can't do Protein Shakes anymore. Really burnt out of them. Even the thought just gags me. The other thing is there's a ton of calories in those suckers. Like another poster said I also don't go nuts with the Protein. I always am on the lookout though for food with high protein..beans..eggwhites..that sort of thing. But I cannot do protein shakes anymore. Oh man the bad breath I had too..ughh..nope just can't.
There aren't necessarily lots of calories. There are a lot of good protein mixes out there with 120 calories or less, when they are mixed with Water.< /p>

There aren't necessarily lots of calories. There are a lot of good Protein mixes out there with 120 calories or less, when they are mixed with Water.

The only ones I found I could stomach were over 200 calories. It's amazing what I can really find to eat for 200 calories and still have a decent amount of Protein.< /p>

Have you tried Matrix chocolate or Whey Gourmet chocolate Peanut Butter? Both of those are surprisingly good, for Protein shakes. Add a pump or two of low-cal sugar-free flavored Syrup, or a little powdered Peanut Butter, and you've got a decent shake.

Honestly I haven't even looked at them in over 3 years so I bet there are better alternatives now. Maybe I will..thanks for the info :eek:

... The other thing is there's a ton of calories in those suckers. ...

Not necessarily. My absolute two favorite Protein shakes are made with:

Matrix 5.0, Water, S/F Raspberry Da Vinci Syrup 120 total calories.

Also:

Matrix 5.0, Water, 1 tablespoon of PB2 147 total calories.

Yummmmmm

Then there is Whey Gourmet w/water Choco/PB w/water and 130 calories.

i cant eat right away in the morning so i always have a Protein Drink - nectar caribean cooler. 90 cals and 23g of Protein. when i remember to shop i blend in a banana.. mmmmm

the other day just becuz i am pmsy-crazy-person i mixed in orange sherbert. mmmm.

I am not a big breakfast person , I have not been one since I got pregnant with my oldest son . So i too drink my Protein shake in the morning, I actually drink a Boost . And I do it when i take my meds, so it goes by fast and Im not really paying too much attention to how it tastes. But boost is one of my favorites because i dont think it tastes bad . that and i drink the bolthouse shakes i think i mentioned before.

Even if they are 200 cals that is not bad if it is your breakfast.

Mindy