Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoughts and worries?

Hello everyone,

I'm just here wondering what the process was for others. I am currently starting my 4th week post op. So far I've lost approximately 16 pounds. For me I guess I feel like maybe this is significantly low... but others tell me not. My question for everyone is when did your weight loss begin to pick up? I'm on solids now, and can barely eat 1 or 2 bites before I'm full. I'm also having trouble getting my Water in, just because when I drink it still hurts. The water gets stuck in my esophagus before finally going into my stomach. So most days I'm only getting in 40oz of water. I'm hoping it gets better!! Pre-op I was peeing 6-7 times a day, now I'm lucky if I'm going twice. I hope once I'm fully healed it gets better but it's been rough getting in my Protein since I get full so fast. Any thoughts or recommendations are welcomed! Please and thank you.

For me, the few months were kinda low. It was around month 3-6 that things really got going. Just be patient. For the first few months of solids I couldn't handle a whole 1/4c of food. It took a long time before all the swelling was down and it was comfortable to eat and drink. Try taking really small sips. Don't try to take a normal sized drink because you can't. It will hurt and you will be miserable, but it'll also cause damage to your healing body. Tiny sips. I used to have a 4 oz measuring cup and I'd fill it with Water or my Protein Drink and set a timer for 15 minutes and slowly take tiny sips til it was gone. At first I couldn't make the 15 minute timer, but over time I could. Now at a year and a half out, I have no problems whatsoever drinking. The hardest part about life after surgery is learning to just slow down. Slowdown eating, slowing down drinking, and just learn not to try to rush through life because this is a long journey and you are still at the beginning. You will get there.

you typically lose the most the first month because some of it is Water weight. That said, I also lost 16 lbs the first month. After that, it dropped to 10-12 lbs until about month 6 or 7, then it dropped even further. I know you read about people losing 30 lbs the first month, but those people are the exception. I've been hanging around these boards a long time, and my perception is that most people lose in the 15-25 lb range the first month, so you're absolutely normal!

btw - it adds up over time. I ended up losing over 200 lbs, so....

I had my lap RNY May 25 and was in the hospital 5 days. When I got home I weighed myself. I had been hovering around 336 preop, and weighed in at 344 (from the IV fluids). Today I weighed in at 318. I'm getting in my Protein goal every day, not doing as well on the Water but I'm trying, and staying around 600 calories per day. I know my weight loss is the exception and not the rule. Don't get discouraged, and just try to remind yourself you 6 months from now is going to look AND feel very different from you right now.

I have the same problem with water as you. So you're not alone!

Have you tried the Unjury unflavored Protein Powder? I add that to basically anything I can - just a half a scoop packs in a lot of extra protein and I find mixes really well with yogurt.

I'm not sure why peeps are told to drink so much Water at beginning cause it's not possible...only sips of water. I couldn't drink a cup of water until after 1 year. Get your Protein Shakes in and yogurt and apple sauce don't worry about solid food until later. I food I lost about 10 to 12 pounds a month. It starts to add up. Don't worry about the solid food that will come but Protein shakes and Vitamins so important. I think the extra Calcium and vit d helped with my weight loss and also walking. I started exercising on a mini trampoline after losing 50 pounds...5 months post op and that helped with firming and keeping metabolism going. Good luck!! Try not to worry bout the weight loss it will happen and only weigh yourself once a week :)

I am one of the exceptions. I had gastric bypass May 8 and have lost 43 pounds or so. I am having a hard time getting in liquids and Protein, too. I am getting sick of all soft foods but trying to hang in there! I throw up every time I have turkey or chicken breast, but can tolerate lunchmeats. I also felt like I was supposed to be able to process certain foods faster than I am but this board has really helped me see how we all have our own journey. I want to lose about 80 more pounds before May of next year. I'll get there!

I am one of the exceptions. I had gastric bypass May 8 and have lost 43 pounds or so. I am having a hard time getting in liquids and Protein, too. I am getting sick of all soft foods but trying to hang in there! I throw up every time I have turkey or chicken breast, but can tolerate lunchmeats. I also felt like I was supposed to be able to process certain foods faster than I am but this board has really helped me see how we all have our own journey. I want to lose about 80 more pounds before May of next year. I'll get there!

Yeah it will take awhile to be able to eat solid Proteins such as chicken. Fish might be easier and keep up with the shakes. I still can't eat more then 3 ounces of chicken at 2 years post op...and it can't be dry or it's just not happening.

Everyone's body and journey is different. I didn't lose much prior to surgery (I didn't have to do the pre-op liquid diet). I lost 37 pounds the first month and then lost 9 the second. It's a long journey and you will only torture yourself if you worry about how much you lose versus others. Make sure to follow your plan - try your best to make your Fluid and Protein goals. The weight will drop off.