Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's the same as you're experiencing

I've realized, now that I'm 4 days post op, that there's very little im expecting or shocked by. From the posts I'm seeing, there is not much different in the experiences.

Bloating and gas is real

Walking eases it

Deep breathes hurt and help

Water water water sipping all day

food tastes gross (especially Protein powder/shakes)

Incisions hurt and itch

You gain surgery weight from water/gas

Pain meds are bad and good but mostly have worse side effects

It feels like it's pulling

Feels tight and hurts to drink a lot

Pain radiates elsewhere on the body

And of course there are those few who don't feel a thing and wonder if it "took".

The forum has the same topics and answers that I've been reading since my first consult and I'm grateful for it in a way because I'm not worried about any of these normal effects. So far, I'm just looking forward to the maintenance phase lol. Forcing myself to drink Fluid is more frustrating that I thought it would be. Especially since I know I'm thirsty for it, but feel very full.

I keep thinking that when I heal, everything will go back to "normal" but that's not the case. The only thing that will return to normal is the bloating and pressure plus incision pain associated with surgery. In 2 weeks, I hope that will be gone. Other than that, it's a bit of a shock to think I am going to live with stomach discomfort for a long while.

HW: 328 (02/21/17)

CW: 275 (preop 53# disowned)

Oh, and not being able to pass gas, let alone have a real BM is a thing. Even with gas X and laxatives. Hmm. Just doing what I can.

SW: 271 (05/24/17)
CW:

Hello B. Annie

What u are feeling is all normal. It will take a few weeks before you start feeling better. Each day that passes will be easier. Don't stress so much. Stress is not good for the healing process. I know that it is hard to drink and have the shakes because it taste different for now. Have you tried adding ice to the shakes or having ice Water? I used to drink temperature water before my Surgury and than discovered that ice water after Surgury worked better for me. This is all a process. Make sure you keep your doctor inform about anything you have concerns. Everyone body is different and trust me I understand how u feel. Take one day at a time and it will get easier. Stay positive. Best wishes 😀

Congratulation on your surgery. Each day will get better, but it will not be overnight. It took me 6 months to reach a happy state when all the problems, issues seemed to melt away.

you won't always have stomach discomfort, either. The first few weeks are admittedly rough, but after that, you'll feel like yourself again. The only time I have stomach discomfort is when I overdo it or eat a lot of things that I shouldn't - but then again, I shouldn't be doing that in the first place!!

Yes I absolutely agree with all of you. I'm not stressed. I specifically said a few times in my original post that this is all expected and normal because of what I've researched - mainly through this forum. It will pass and i look forward to that. I'm only slightly disappointed that so many people ARE shocked by this and post the same questions about it over and over for the past few years. It made me realize that there is nothing new or exciting about this forum anymore until I reach a good year out. And then I wonder where all the veterans will be.... certainly not here because everyone whose a veteran here is just venting about bad weekends or regain or whatnot. My only frustration is with what I have left to gain from the forum now.

CW:

On 5/29/2017 at 11:09 AM, B.Annie said:

Yes I absolutely agree with all of you. I'm not stressed. I specifically said a few times in my original post that this is all expected and normal because of what I've researched - mainly through this forum. It will pass and i look forward to that. I'm only slightly disappointed that so many people ARE shocked by this and post the same questions about it over and over for the past few years. It made me realize that there is nothing new or exciting about this forum anymore until I reach a good year out. And then I wonder where all the veterans will be.... certainly not here because everyone whose a veteran here is just venting about bad weekends or regain or whatnot. My only frustration is with what I have left to gain from the forum now.

CW:

I am about 5 months out now from surgery and I stick around the forums (even the pre-op one) specifically so I can continue to help out the newbies. I personally felt a bit lost leading up to my surgery and immediately post-op and found these forums a blessing. The support groups at my hospital tend to be more focused on long term/veteran issues which is to be expected - and generally they downplay newbie questions because they are exactly as you find, repetitive and not surprising :) Coming here was a breath of fresh air because no matter how many times the same question is asked people still get kind responses. I want to be part of that support - and I'm doing the same thing within my program/hospital as much as possible. It's been kind of fun to transition from needing the support to giving the support (though I'm sure I'll still need help - I'm nowhere close to the end of my journey!!!)