Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! How to get back on track?

Never did i ever think i would ever let myself go again after all my success. Life and loss of control tool back over. I was down to 145 lbs this time last year and now just hit 200 lbs again. I am ashamed and so mad at myself. I k ow what I need to do but cannot stay on track. Is there anyone out there who has had this happen that has success in getting it back off after success with weight loss surgery?

Need motivation, thoughts or tips.....

Jan 2015 298 lbs

SW June 2015 227 lbs

LOWEST weight June 2016 145

CW 200

We can't really motivate you.. you have to find the motivation. Slip-ups are normal especially as people get out of the honeymoon phase, bottom out, and then think they can go back to the habits that got them in trouble.. but it's entirely something you have to correct. One can't rely on the restriction forever.

What kind of surgery did you have? If it was VSG, I'd say to not only get yourself some counseling and a support group, but reset your pouch. Go back to your stage 1 diet and advance through the stages again. It won't work though if you aren't motivated and if you aren't motivated, you need counseling to figure out what the food is really feeding. I know I get really anxious when I lose weight. I'm not anywhere I haven't been before yet, still only 6 weeks out, but I know that for me my fat suit is more like an invisibility cloak. I don't feel like people are looking at me. I feel naked and vulnerable the smaller I get. Figure out what it is for you that makes you self-sabotage.

You haven't done anything wrong. Weight loss surgery is a diet just like any other- most people regain their weight if they don't stop dieting and learn another way to eat. Our bodies don't like to be starved and they fight back tooth and nail to keep weight on when they are starved of calories.

There is no amount of willpower and motivation you will ever have that will fight your biology without also ruining your life. It's not your fault you regained weight. It has nothing to do with willpower.

Please do yourself a huge favor. Stop dieting. Embrace intuitive eating. It can and will change your life. Your weight will come back down again and you will be a thousand times happier and healthier.

INTUITIVE EATING- google it. :) good luck. Read my story if you like too.

I think seeking support is a very good first step. A psychologist or therapist, but a support group, too. It's proven that people who regularly attend support groups have greater long term success. Getting an accountability buddy might also help a lot.

Other than that, maybe try coming up with some goals for yourself? One realistic, measurable goal at a time. "I will re-commit to my exercise routine at least three days a week for the next month" or "I will track my food for two weeks straight".

I'm there with you. I haven't regained because I'm still in my honeymoon phase, but I have gotten less consistent about tracking because of a bunch of life stresses recently. my first goal is to get back to tracking on MFP consistently and building up my "days tracked in a row" again!