Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just over 3 weeks post op. Ever since my op I've only had Water no other fluids. I had a sip of fruit juice the other day and it was so sweet that I couldn't drink it. Does food taste different post op? Do your tastebuds drastically change?

You haven't had any fluids other than Water for three weeks? Wow. Do you think that might be a big reason juice tastes different to you now?

I'll be 3 months post op in 6/1. For me, everything tastes different. I only drink Water. Occasionally, I'll put a drop or two of crystal light in it, but it's usually too sweet. I used to enjoy Cookies and other sweets, but usually can't stand the smell of anything sweet now. I don't know if it's a permanent change, but don't like the foods that I used to enjoy anymore.

food textures get me now. I'm on soft foods. Took me a little bit to get use to the texture of tuna.

The psychological and physiological effects of sugar people seem to know about but not understand.

It changes the way your body processes taste and causes an addiction -- it's effectively a psychoactive drug.

For people who have sugar-laden foods, which include fruit juices, for such a long time, when they stop for weeks or more, they've come down from the effects of sugar, so when they taste it, they're far more likely to realize that this is an overload of sugar. This isn't really a subjective change in "taste" as it is the physiological and psychological effects sugar comprehensively has on the body.

An ex of mine from Greece noticed this in all our foods in the US when she visited numerous times. Our food nearly made her sick because it's so carb dense.

I mean, I was virtually addicted to soda in the prior couple years up to my 3 month pre-op diet. When I started it, it took me 3-4 weeks to come down from the effects of sugar. About a month and a half into the pre-op diet I sipped my wifes soda and I hated the taste. Psychologically and physioligically my body was trying to tell me to have it, but I no longer subjectively wanted it.

Post-op, nothing has changed about my preferences for food.. I've tried a bunch of things I used to hate that I wanted to eat, and I still didn't like them. I still love ground beef, almonds/peanuts, Water, and chicken just as much as I did pre-op. Some people have said their tastes change drastically post-op but they haven't whatsoever for me.

It's too soon for me to tell, no soft food yet.

I did realize a taste in the popsicle they gave me in the hospital - it was like a salted ice block with flavor *gag*

I can no longer stomach chicken broth. The V8 juice I hated prior to surgery is like a delight now. Small changes.

There is some small change in smells as well. Beef smells like wet dog lol.

But some things remain the same for me, too.

You haven't had any fluids other than Water for three weeks? Wow. Do you think that might be a big reason juice tastes different to you now?

It could be. I hadn't thought of it like that. I love black coffee but not allowed to have that at the moment. Maybe when I try it that'll taste drastically different too.

The psychological and physiological effects of sugar people seem to know about but not understand.
It changes the way your body processes taste and causes an addiction -- it's effectively a psychoactive drug.
For people who have sugar-laden foods, which include fruit juices, for such a long time, when they stop for weeks or more, they've come down from the effects of sugar, so when they taste it, they're far more likely to realize that this is an overload of sugar. This isn't really a subjective change in "taste" as it is the physiological and psychological effects sugar comprehensively has on the body.
An ex of mine from Greece noticed this in all our foods in the US when she visited numerous times. Our food nearly made her sick because it's so carb dense.
I mean, I was virtually addicted to soda in the prior couple years up to my 3 month pre-op diet. When I started it, it took me 3-4 weeks to come down from the effects of sugar. About a month and a half into the pre-op diet I sipped my wifes soda and I hated the taste. Psychologically and physioligically my body was trying to tell me to have it, but I no longer subjectively wanted it.
Post-op, nothing has changed about my preferences for food.. I've tried a bunch of things I used to hate that I wanted to eat, and I still didn't like them. I still love ground beef, almonds/peanuts, Water, and chicken just as much as I did pre-op. Some people have said their tastes change drastically post-op but they haven't whatsoever for me.

Thank you for explaining. If I have this distaste to sugar from now on that'll be much healthier for me overall.

I'm just over 3 weeks post op. Ever since my op I've only had Water no other fluids. I had a sip of fruit juice the other day and it was so sweet that I couldn't drink it. Does food taste different post op? Do your tastebuds drastically change?

Are you getting Protein? ! This concerns me. Please be sure and add protein to the water. You can damage your heart very bad by not having protein needs met.

Are you getting Protein? ! This concerns me. Please be sure and add protein to the Water. You can damage your heart very bad by not having protein needs met.

I'm on puréed foods. So getting my protein from that :)

Taste changes were immediate for me. Water tasted like it had sugar added to it ice tasted like some form of Crystal light even though it was pure water. Popsicles sugar-free that were given to me in the hospital were so sweet it burned my throat. broth was so salty that I had to dilute it with hot water from the tea drink that they offered. Ending day four postop now and still the same thing. I was eating the sugar free Popsicles and broth prior to surgery so it's not like I wasn't having them for a long period of time. Still they taste horrible. Water still taste sweet and Protein Drinks are so bad that I can barely get them down.
I have a heightened sense of smell which is pretty bad considering my sense of smell is very sensitive prior. I've never been picky on the taste of foods or drinks or textures. I'm not upset about this taste change I'm just surprised it happened so quickly.

HW: 328 (02/21/17)
CW: 275 (preop 53# disowned)

My nutritionist told me that the bad taste in my mouth is from ketones. I used to love straight Water now it makes me gag same with dairy. I find peace with it by reminding myself that it's from burning fat!

The bad taste in my mouth is a sweet one. It just taste like I am constantly sucking on a sugar cube. It's fine and dandy for water but for any other drink it makes it horrible

HW: 328 (02/21/17)
CW: 275 (preop 53# disowned)

I can't stand plain Water now. I was always a big water drinker preop and never liked flavor infusers, now I'm depending on them to get my fluids in.

Edited by MSinger

It's amazing what your body reacts to. I can no longer tolerate eggs, up they come. I am so much more thirsty than I ever was, I never feel like I get enough. I had my surgery March 15, 2017. I think that you will find there will be foods that you think you will crave and if you swallow them, your stomach will say, uh no, that doesn't feel good.

Sent from my SM-N910V using BariatricPal mobile app