Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass or sleeve? How did you choose? Anyone 5 years out of surgery?

I went into my nutritionist office through my dr, and she doesn't recommend the sleeve for me. How did you choose? I have an appointment with the bariatric team, and see what they say. She said for long term gastric is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I totally agree with your NUT, either Bypass or the Duodenal Switch (DS). I see too many people end up doing revisions to Bypass after doing the sleeve. This was one of the reasons why I changed my mind as well. This surgery is a huge deal and I didn't want to go under the knife more than once. After all the Bypass is the standard of all WLS.

The sleeve only gives you restriction, but with the Bypass you get both the restriction and malabsorption (not as much as the DS though).

I say do your research speak with ppl that did both.

I totally agree with your NUT, either Bypass or the Duodenal Switch (DS). I see too many people end up doing revisions to Bypass after doing the sleeve. This was one of the reasons why I changed my mind as well. This surgery is a huge deal and I didn't want to go under the knife more than once. After all the Bypass is the standard of all WLS.
The sleeve only gives you restriction, but with the Bypass you get both the restriction and malabsorption (not as much as the DS though).
I say do your research speak with ppl that did both.

How long ago did you get the surgery? I know everyone is different, but have you gotten really sick?

I agree with Nyseness, I went back and forth on which procedure i wanted to go with. I'm 99.9% on Gastric Bypass. I did a ton of research via the web, books speaking with others whose been through both Sleeve and Bypass surgeries. My Dr. said that I am a good candidate for either. Due to my current conditions, diabetes, high blood pressure and artiritis in both knees, I decided that GB would be the best choice for me. I'm currently in the pre-op stage. I wish you the best in your decision.

I also agree with these ladies. I'm pre op with a surgery date of 6/21/17 and I've read books, gone to support meetings, and chatted on these forums. I've done all of this for the last 3 years.

I came to my decision for GB due to research and Doctor recommending. I have severe GERD and per my EGD I have some esophageal erosion. The sleeve will most likely make all that worse. Also I need this WLS to keep me in check for the long term.

Keep doing your information gathering and make an educated decision.

Good luck with which ever you choose! Keep us posted!

Thanks for asking this question! I'm struggling with it too.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, LoveLife4U said:

How long ago did you get the surgery? I know everyone is different, but have you gotten really sick?

No I think that is the misconception was the Bypass. Only 30% of patients get dumping, but I do get queasy if I eat too fast and don't chew my food good enough. I had surgery July '16, I'm 10 months out.

I wanted the absorption available with the sleeve so I chose that. I've never had GERD so I was/am hoping that wouldn't be an issue for me. I liked the simpler surgery. My sister had bypass and has never hit goal. It's only as good of a tool as we make it.

Oh wanted to add have two friends one had bypass one had the sleeve. Bypass friend has hit goal and maintained for three years. Sleeve friend hit goal but has gained ten but says she's happy there. So that probably didn't help lol. I'm sorry! I think they're both great choices!

I wanted the absorption available with the sleeve so I chose that. I've never had GERD so I was/am hoping that wouldn't be an issue for me. I liked the simpler surgery. My sister had bypass and has never hit goal. It's only as good of a tool as we make it.

Thank you! How far away was she from goal?

I decided to go with Gastric Bypass because I did more research on it and trusted that more than the sleeve. I wanted something that would keep me in check with my junk food problem. Then there's the fact that my surgeon recommended Gastric Bypass over the sleeve. I followed her recommendation because I believe I was in good hands... And because I want to be as healthy as I can be.

----------------------------

HW- 273
Pre-op Wt- 230
SW- 226
CW- 206
GW- 130
Ht- 5'2.5"
DOS- April 26th, 2017

"Only those who try will become." ~FFX

Thank you! How far away was she from goal?

The lowest she got was 170. She's about 220 now and has been for a long time. She can drink and eat anything now. She started at 350 so it's still great for her and without surgery she believes she'd be close to 400.

Thanks for asking this question, been struggling with this too. I was recommended bypass because of GERD, but having a hard time wrapping my head around the malabsorption. Especially since near term (with 1-2 years) I'd be looking to get pregnant and it would be my first. Anyone with experience there?