Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3 Post Op: does it suck this bad for everyone?

I'm 17 days post op and it 100% gets better. Even in the last few days I've improved. I was exactly like you and just kept thinking what have I done? Day by day you'll find you feel a little bit better and you'll be able to drink more. Even if it's 4 more mouthfuls than the day before. Try not to do too much at once. If you can't do Vitamins then wait and try a few days later. Same with Protein. I also freeze Water into ice lollies and find it easier to tolerate than sipping water. But I do feel like I'm constantly drinking all day to get my water and protein in. You're definitely not alone. The first week is the toughest.

I got my sleeve on Wednesday, and I feel awful. The gas is going, which is good, but I'm really disgusted by the taste of Protein Shakes right now, and the texture. And those chewable vitamins!! I can barely get them down without vomiting. I know I'm not getting in enough water-- I just can't take more than a few tiny tiny sips before my stomach has a little cramp and tells me to stop. So I wait and start again after 10-15 minutes, but it took me 12 hours to do 8 ounces of Water today, and maybe 6 oz of Protein Shake. I am so freaking far from my goals. AND-- I haven't even lost any weight at all, after eating virtually nothing for six days.That scares me, like maybe this isn't going to work for me.
This is all venting. I am having a hard time and feeling a lot of regret, wondering why I did this thing to my body. I had to watch my 4 year old eat his little dinner tonight, while I took sips from my shake, and I just got so dang depressed. Anyone else out there feeling this way? Anyone who DID feel this way, and can give me an idea of when it gets better??

Hang in there it will get better, praying for your speedy recovery [emoji41]

Sent from my S8+ using BariatricPal mobile app[emoji41]

I personally have had no issues, but two days after the surgery I was up 6 lbs vs being down. Now that I am 2 weeks post-op I am down 32 lbs. however my sister when she did hers 5 years ago would take all day to drink 8 oz of Water and 2 oz of liquid. She had to be on liquids only for 7 weeks because she wasn't tolerating much. She still say to this day it was all worth it. She has lost and maintained being down 150 lbs.

If that's all you can drink you shouldn't have been released from the hospital period! I've also been told no Vitamins for 2 weeks. Hope you feel better soon.

Edited by SEAHAWKS FAN!

On 5/20/2017 at 6:43 PM, MarinaGirl said:

My doctor didn't allow me to take Vitamins until 2 weeks post-op.

Mine was the same.

I am 8 days post op and I feel really good. I didn't even start on Protein Shakes until yesterday because my plan had me on Clear Liquids the first week.

I think I am one of the fortunate ones in that I seem to be healing quickly. I am up to 50 oz of liquids and will probably hit 50g of Protein today. I can easily walk 2-3 miles if I take it slow.

I would just focus on fluids until you are feeling a little better. We are all different so I think everyone needs to listen to their bodies and ease into everything.

Unfortunately, for some it is bad. I had it bad. I also do not regret it. With me being in pain 24/7, my views of this surgery and food have forever been changed. I will never want to do something like this again. This is a one time thing. This is my last shot and this painful. I think that if I had a smooth recovery, I would not really have been inclined to change my relationship with food that much. Now, I eat to live and I choose the best and most healthiest food I can find. That is because I do not want to go backwards. I want to continue going forward and finding new receipts and foods to try. It gets better I promise it does.

Be gentle on yourself, what you are feeling is completely natural. And it's ok.

I wondered what I did for like an hour, then realized I had to for my health and the end result will be phenomenal. I told myself I'll adjust to not eating like others at social gatherings, and I'll be fine with it because it's my journey and I'm doing this for my own reasons, not anyone else's. Who cares what they think? I'll be able to eat those things once in a while and enjoy them, I'll just get full sooner. [emoji4]

Before this surgery I felt like a big baby watching others eat, so I "mouthed" the food, pulled a Ryan Seacrest, chewed and spat it out inconspicuously into a napkin. After a week of doing this I realized that fattening crud was "ok" for five min, but I rather eat how I need to, and deal with my weight. Without this tool I'd fail.

It's normal to feel like wtf did I do to myself. Natural. I think we all do it to differing extents. We all envy those who don't need to, long for the good old days where we could eat without restriction and have a wider rage of foods. We forget the affect of that.

I think any discomfort I feel now when one bite of jell-O is one bite too much, reminds me of how I arrived here, that's a place I don't want to be again.

I'm ok if I think OMG what did I do, it passes and the end result will show me why I made the best decision.

Hang in there, I know you feel bad sometimes, it's ok, you're only three days out. You will change many times in your mind set, hormones play an important role in this too. But you got this, and are strong - you did a very brave thing, and not for nothing.

Giving you gentle hugs.

I was sleeved 5/24. I am not allowed any Protein Shakes, I can't wait to sip on one of those. I'm allowed clear Protein isolate (gag) and clear liquids only until 5/30. Has any body tried Gas X for gas?

5 minutes ago, Hoolahoopster said:

I was sleeved 5/24. I am not allowed any Protein Shakes, I can't wait to sip on one of those. I'm allowed clear Protein isolate (gag) and clear liquids only until 5/30. Has any body tried Gas X for gas?

Walking was really the best way to get the gas out. I didn't like the Isopure Protein Drinks either,. What saved me was really good savory broth from homemade Soups.