Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deciding between 2 Dr's in Mexico, then going BUT I'm considered a revision and now unsure whether I should have Sleeve or Bypass.

I thought I wanted to have the sleeve procedure (that's what I requested to be approved for and was) and after doing a lot of research, wondering if I should go with full bypass. Years ago I had lapband - I was very successful, lost weight quickly and the golden child for my surgeons office. The one issue I had as I kept filling the band, terrible reflux. I was 10 lbs from my goal weight and researching plastic surgereons. Unfortunately the reflux got so bad that I had pneumonia for several months and I was finally forced to totally un-fill the band. I had to wait 3 to 4 months before I restarted fills. I was never able to get back to the amount I had in the band previously and the reflux started again. I regained a lot of weight. Now fast forward 4 years, just before Christmas in 2015, I experienced a lot pain In my abdomen and found out that the band had broke. I had emergency surgery to remove the band. After a year and half and regaining all my weight, I'm ready to do gastric again. I've been dieting and eating much better for the last few months. I am now mentally prepared to make the right eating choices. I'm wondering if the sleeve would be a good procedure for me because of my prior issues with reflux. Although, the only time I have had reflux was when I had the band. I really want the sleeve but I don't have the same issues with reflux. TIA

Edited by LWA-Lori

With your prior history of reflux I think you should go with gastric bypass instead of the sleeve. You'd hate to go through this revision and then require another surgery later. Acid reflux is a big deal; it puts you at increased risk for esophageal cancer and taking PPIs for the rest of your life to control it may lead to higher risks of dementia and osteoporosis.

1 hour ago, LWA-Lori said:

I thought I wanted to have the sleeve procedure (that's what I requested to be approved for and was) and after doing a lot of research, wondering if I should go with full bypass. Years ago I had lapband - I was very successful, lost weight quickly and the golden child for my surgeons office. The one issue I had as I kept filling the band, terrible reflux. I was 10 lbs from my goal weight and researching plastic surgereons. Unfortunately the reflux got so bad that I had pneumonia for several months and I was finally forced to totally un-fill the band. I had to wait 3 to 4 months before I restarted fills. I was never able to get back to the amount I had in the band previously and the reflux started again. I regained a lot of weight. Now fast forward 4 years, just before Christmas in 2015, I experienced a lot pain In my abdomen and found out that the band had broke. I had emergency surgery to remove the band. After a year and half and regaining all my weight, I'm ready to do gastric again. I've been dieting and eating much better for the last few months. I am now mentally prepared to make the right eating choices. I'm wondering if the sleeve would be a good procedure for me because of my prior issues with reflux. Although, the only time I have had reflux was when I had the band. I really want the sleeve but I don't have the same issues with reflux. TIA

If you had a history of gastric reflux, please do not have gastric sleeve surgery! You're definitely a great candidate for the Gastric Bypass or Mini Gastric Bypass.

I heard that acid reflux is bad with the sleeve, just like the lap band. I had GERD for over 22 years prior to RNY. I have not had any acid reflux since surgery 9/2016.

I'm going to Cabo, Mexico Bariatrics.. Dr. Gerardo Garcia Alvarez .. lots of friends have used him with amazing results.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

1) there are some great doctors in Mexico & I'm really excited for you! 2) Sleeve is a great surgery. 3) Sleeve is not a good option for a reflux patient. I also had a lapband for 4 years and loved that little bugger. Some problems with reflux off/on. Was setup to be a mentor for other bandsters at the surgeons office. Had Tummy Tuck & breast reduction at a different hospital with pretty violent vomiting & my story went the same as yours.

It's about 3 1/2 years since removal. From size 12 to 22. Pulled out my size 26 pre-op "fat pants" & called my surgeons office... for a Sleeve.

He's ordered lots of tests and scopes & there is permanent esophagus damage. He said no Sleeve explaining how acid will still form & given the Sleeve is tube, it is pressure system for the acid straight shot up to travel.

Sounds like you do your research, please continue it & really consider this. Each procedure has its + and - 's.

If there's a section on this site for people with problems with specific surgeries, maybe read thru those and see if there's anything about reflux. Or google the question. It's not just the discomfort of the reflux, but I've learned the hard way it's the damage the reflux can do over time to your esophagus.

Sorry, I definitely don't want to direct your decision. Talk to your doctors & you'll know you've made the right decision when you feel peace about it.

I went bypass because of reflux