Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery is 5/25 but having some minor second thoughts....Can anyone relate?

Everyone has fears going into surgery. It's the nature of the beast :)

As long as you have educated yourself about the surgery, are aware of potential risks and benefits, and have thought long and hard about the decision, then rest assured that you are making the right choice for you.

For me, it came down to this: I wanted to THRIVE, not just survive.

I'm scheduled for surgery on 5/24 and I know just what you're feeling cause I'm feeling it too. I'm not so much worried about the surgery itself but whether or not I'll be able to get through eating small portions and tiny bites of food. But when I start thinking this way, I try to focus on all the great things that are going to happen because of the surgery--my knees and hips will stop hurting, I can be more active, I can buy cute clothes and wear a belt, I'll live longer and be healthier--that makes my doubts go away. I hope your surgery goes great!

Thanks so much! I do know that this is the right thing for me I am excited but scared too. Wish I could click my heels and be 3 months post but I'll manage and know that it will be so bitter sweet. Glad to be a part of a supportive community.

7 hours ago, drsonju said:

I'm scheduled for surgery on 5/24 and I know just what you're feeling cause I'm feeling it too. I'm not so much worried about the surgery itself but whether or not I'll be able to get through eating small portions and tiny bites of food. But when I start thinking this way, I try to focus on all the great things that are going to happen because of the surgery--my knees and hips will stop hurting, I can be more active, I can buy cute clothes and wear a belt, I'll live longer and be healthier--that makes my doubts go away. I hope your surgery goes great!

We are 1 day apart; in it together.

11 hours ago, Alimap300 said:

Every now and again a hint of doubt creeps up. Surgery is 5/25. ....Wondering if this is normal.

Completely normal. Like everyone else said, educate yourself thoroughly going in, and also, stay away from what can go wrong. I, myself, never read any of that stuff because I didn't even want it in my head. I watched a ton of before and afters on YouTube, so as on surgery day, I was actually giddy with excitement.

Yes, I was still nervous, but I was 95% ready to start a new life and reclaim myself again. So, I say, hit the YouTube's before and afters and that will reenergize your decision, pushing those wayward thoughts to the back of your mind where they belong.

Good Luck!!

Watch Dr Weiner's clips on YouTube,he's got 20+ on there. There's pre-op guidance through to 1 year post-op. I have found his advise invaluable,amazing guy.

Having doubts is ok because I think it's something we all go through but the rewards are great if you are willing.

Every now and again a hint of doubt creeps up. Surgery is 5/25. ....Wondering if this is normal.

My date is May 25th too!
I think that it is completely normal to second guess yourself on something so big. As long as you know what to expect post-op and beyond, you should be good.
You CAN do this!

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

Im on the 25th also. Absolutely have had second thoughts about the sleeve - but my thoughts about not having it are scarier. I miss my band so much - and the feeling of fullness after meals. Cant wait to have that back again.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello everyone,

I'm Ima Vsgee. Just had my sleeve done yesterday morning. Listen, there is absolutely no reason to be worried. I was sooo scared and it was all for nothing. Everyone here at the hospital was laughing at me because I woke up from my anesthesia early yelling "I'm Alive I'm Alive" Lol

VSGEE

Ima VSGee
#SW: 319.6 #CW: 295.6 #VSG Date: 5/16/2017

I too was nervous the weeks up to my revision. I want back and talked to the nutritionist, therapist etc to get reassurance. Especially as it Beas a band sleeve revision. The last days before I was surprising calm even that day. The surgery went great. Minimal pain ( discomfort). Have had a couple times I drank too fast but nothing much. I'm almost 2 weeks PT. Can drink more volume than I expected. In some ways it's like nothing was done. But sure this will change with more solid foods. But really was not has bad as I had thought.

I had my surgery 4/25. I wasn't nervous at all. I was ready to get on to the healing process. I didn't have to take any pain meds at all. I couldn't drink the Protein Shakes. I just drank Water for the first three days. I eat a popsicle and some broth on day four. I was dehydrated. My lips and feet were pealing. My eyes were dark and I had no strength. I'm doing much better now. I just burp slot and have a lot of heart burn.

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

Big time! I knew it was normal, but I just kept asking myself, "Are you really sure about this? This is forever!" The whole time... putting on the hair net thingy, getting the IV put in for the anesthesia, getting weighed for the last time, getting up onto that operating table, and I don't remember anything after that. I had the thought that this was it. I had better speak up if I was going to change my mind. Almost as soon as I was conscious of the thought, I blinked my eyes and I was in recovery, post-op. It was surreal. There have been a LOT of things I have had to learn and unlearn, but I wouldn't change it for anything. Being on the road to improved health is worth never having wine and pizza again or drinking while eating. The sacrifices are all worth it for what I am gaining.