Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If it ain't nailed down...

I'll eat it!

I am guessing that most people in this forum have had this problem at one time or another, or else you would not have a lap band. But I'm concerned that my need for the lapband won't help the underlying problem that I have.

I didn't realize it until someone brought it to my attention, but for many years, I've been over-eating as a form of accomplishment. There are SO many things in my day to day life that aren't the way I want them to be, and it makes me feel like I don't have control over my life - but eating was/is something that I can do and complete, just the way I want to! (Sad but true). I can eat A LOT and feel "content" because I completed my task. Does anyone understand what I am saying?

Anyway, here's where my questions about the lapband come in. I understand that it makes one feel full faster, but what if it doesn't work for me because that desire to "complete and control" takes over? Are those desires still as strong with the lapband? I've heard so many people on this forum say "You've got to make a physical AND a mental change", I know I want to, but what if it doesn't happen??? Not to harp on the negative, but I've tried before and my thinking didn't change... is there a lapband for the brain too?:sick

angel,

the lapband definitely is not magic. It controls your appetitie, but not your mind. I had my surgery a week ago monday and my mind is still the same as it was before. You will still have your cravings, etc. It's just something you need to overcome.

Like today... I cheated and highly regret it. I was bored so I went up to Sonic and got me an order of cheese sticks. I ate four of them and felt like I was going to vomit all over the place. But, now I realize why I got the lapband. I've lost 20+ lbs now and my mind is set of my future. I hope to become married, have children, etc... that is what keeps me going.

Find a hobby or something that will keep your mind off of food!

It does help. I was surprised to find that I felt I had accomplished and completed when I got full and push away form the table. And that's never been true in my life. True, it's a tool and you have to do your part, but frankly, doing my part was IMPOSSIBLE without the band. Now it's just hard work. Succeeding when working hard on weight is also new for me....and feels very powerful.

I think you would do just fine.

Many, many people suffer from this problem. I did many years ago, only just the opposite. I was a little chubby as a young girl, but as I became about 12 years old some of my mean family members pointed this out to me in almost a tortuous manner. I look back on those pics, and I have to tell you, I wasn't really all that bad. However, I was able to control keeping myself thin & (what I thought was) fit, by almost any means necessary. Now some things I wouldn't do, but I would actually almost punish myself if I ate something "bad" by working out until I would nearly pass out (NOT GOOD!). I know I did all this, because I had a lot of problems growing up and it was the one thing I was able to control in my life.

Well, once I overcame that and many things in my life changed - I just pretty much got out of shape and very much overweight. I stopped punishing myself and became very comfortable eating whatever I wanted and basically NEVER exercised. It did catch up with me, but at least I am doing what I can about it now. I also realized that this was wrong for me to do also. I have been trying for several years now to lose weight and exercise in a HEALTHY way. Well my body is shaping nicely, but the weight is just not coming off. I chose the band to help me with my Portion Control, because I know that is what my problem is.

So you see, even people like "us" can succeed. I will be having my surgery very soon. :clap2:

Let us know what you decide, and WELCOME!! ;)

With me the head hunger is still there sometimes but I agree with Betsyjane, it is so completely satisfying when I can eat 1/4 of an avocado and 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese and be completely satisfied in my tummy. In my head I may want more, but feeling full makes it easy to walk away. I feel accomplished and proud.

You'll do great.

and take you with me everywhere I go! Thank you so much for replying to my concerns. I have already decided that I am going to get a lapband (just waiting for ins. approval), but it is nice to know that people who have the band feel my "control issues" are not impossible to overcome. I don't want to set myself up for failure, so it's comforting to know that the lapband will help. I know I've got a long road ahead of me (I want to lose about 100 lbs.), and it will require a good deal of effort on my part..but I am optimistic that my life will change for the better, with the help of the band and my forum friends!

Any patient who is unwilling to accept the need for lifestyle change will do poorly with the Lap-Band, and if the doctor is following ALLERGAN'S patient guidelines they would not perform Lap-Band surgery on that patient.

I'll eat it!

I am guessing that most people in this forum have had this problem at one time or another, or else you would not have a lap band. But I'm concerned that my need for the lapband won't help the underlying problem that I have.

I didn't realize it until someone brought it to my attention, but for many years, I've been over-eating as a form of accomplishment. There are SO many things in my day to day life that aren't the way I want them to be, and it makes me feel like I don't have control over my life - but eating was/is something that I can do and complete, just the way I want to! (Sad but true). I can eat A LOT and feel "content" because I completed my task. Does anyone understand what I am saying?

Anyway, here's where my questions about the lapband come in. I understand that it makes one feel full faster, but what if it doesn't work for me because that desire to "complete and control" takes over? Are those desires still as strong with the lapband? I've heard so many people on this forum say "You've got to make a physical AND a mental change", I know I want to, but what if it doesn't happen??? Not to harp on the negative, but I've tried before and my thinking didn't change... is there a lapband for the brain too?:sick