Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone here?

Tracy - yep, it sure did freak me out! People are just nosey - but I'm to the point that I don't care as much about people finding out that I got the Band. But again, I am also thinking, what business is it of theirs?

LOL! I think of all the CRAP that I've posted here and online and general.. and I think. HOLY shit someone who isn't a friend could REALLY get an eyeful! LOL

and then I think.. screw it! Their just jealous.

Hi Tonya,

Been away for a bit but back in touch again. I can understand your trepidation about others knowing about the band. I still haven't told many people and those that know, keep their mouths shut. I do wonder why we feel it should be secret. We of course know how much work this whole process still is..especially at this stage when ever ounce is a labor of love (hate!).

I think before I get another fill...I need to get myself over eating so late a night or I 'll have reflux as well. I have had some lately...so I need to get after it anyway. I also feel pretty tight so I am reluctant to get too tight. I do learn from reading others (yours) posts.

My DH keeps making comments that I'm eating too little...but the scale isn't budging. I am losing fractions of inches tho. I think that is because I'm active in a different way and using different muscles that are tightening up. I haven't really tended to my proper eating lately and need to get back on track. I'm dealing with entitlement issues again..I deserve to eat...blah blah.

Sounds like you are doing great. How is the exercise going?

Hi Tonya,

Been away for a bit but back in touch again. I can understand your trepidation about others knowing about the band. I still haven't told many people and those that know, keep their mouths shut. I do wonder why we feel it should be secret. We of course know how much work this whole process still is..especially at this stage when ever ounce is a labor of love (hate!).

I think for me the main reason that I didn't tell was I didn't want all eyes on me and watching me fail another attempt to lose weight. I also didn't want to hear the negative comments, and I didn't want to be judged.

I think before I get another fill...I need to get myself over eating so late a night or I 'll have reflux as well. I have had some lately...so I need to get after it anyway. I also feel pretty tight so I am reluctant to get too tight. I do learn from reading others (yours) posts.

My last fill stopped me from eating late at night. If I eat past 8:00 I'm up all thru the night coughing and choking, its horrible.

Your right to NOT get too tight. If you do, they have to take the fill out and its like starting all over again. grrrrrr. Its horrible when you are PBing on your own saliva

My DH keeps making comments that I'm eating too little...but the scale isn't budging. I am losing fractions of inches tho. I think that is because I'm active in a different way and using different muscles that are tightening up. I haven't really tended to my proper eating lately and need to get back on track. I'm dealing with entitlement issues again..I deserve to eat...blah blah.

Maybe your not eating enough? One of the things that has helped me lately is eat more frequently - i.e. I eat yogurt with granola for bfast, and around 10:30 I have a piece of string cheese, then eat lunch, then in late afternoon I eat 1/2 apple, or something small. Its all low in calories, but it keeps my metabolism working.

It's so easy to get of track, heck, I went on a year long binge almost. Seems like that I would get on track for a week, then go back off of it for a month. So far, I've been track for a month now and losing again! Yay.

Sounds like you are doing great. How is the exercise going?

Well, until today it was NONE. I am 16 lbs from being at a healthy weight and a healthy BMI, I know the only way to get there is to get my butt in gear with eating and exercise. I've got the eating under control lately, however, the exercise was NON EXISTANT.

So, last night, I got my clothes out, my shoes, and set them by the front door. I knew if I didn't get up, I would have to walk past them when I went to work this morning and how much of a failure I would feel like. So, I set my alarm for 5:00 am - oh how I want to turn the alarm off when it went off this morning. I even said to myself "5 more minutes", but I've done this so many times in the past and the 5 more minutes turn into a lot longer and I don't get up.

Well, today was different. I got up, got dressed and was the gym by 5:30. I only did 31 minutes on the elliptical, however that burned 310 calories. I will continue to set my alarm and work on getting my groove back!

It sure is lonely on our thread these days. I wonder how everyone is doing? I miss seeing everyone on here and chatting about our band and challenges we face. Remember how exicted everyone was in Janaury of 2007? How we all couldn't wait to come to the board and talk? I was soooo addicted to this forum.

Anyhow, hope everyone is doing great.

I have started a countdown on another thread (Life at Goal or Near Goal) called the final push. Its my final push to lose the 16 lbs to get to my doctors goal weight. I have 26 lbs to hit my goal of 145.

I am hoping to hit my docs goal by December, and my goal by our 2 yr anniversary date or shortly after.

I lose so slow, and every pound is such a struggle for me, but I am overjoyed when I lose just 1 ounce, and a pound sometimes sends me over the edge with excitement! :cry_smile:

Edited by Sunshine2

Good for you hitting this gym this morning. I sure could have because I woke up at 5 and had a dickens of a time getting back to sleep. No particular reason except I have this internal alarm that when I set it, that is it for the next week.

Why do you have two different goal weights? Didn't you think the Dr. was okay? I keep thinking my goal is where you are at now. 170. I probably need to be 165 to get my BMI right tho...I fiddled around with those calculators to see what I needed but can't recall right now.

It looks like I creeped down a bit in my weight the past week or two. I didn't weigh in last week. In spite of crappy eating. I pound till I have lost 60 pounds. And three pounds till I'm in onederland!! I can't even imagine. I should just starve myself just to get there!! It is a bit unreal.

I haven't been doing any exercise..just daily life stuff. My DH commented last weekend that my butt was looking good! NO ONE HAS EVER SAID I HAVE A GOOD LOOKING BUTT!! He's insane! :cry_smile:

Hi ladies,

Sunshine I too am close to being at goal and I went into my band dr last week and he told me that it just may be that no matter what I do, this may be all that I can lose. Not what I wanted to hear. I so desperately want to get to a normal weight. I can't get into the 160's it seems. I am hitting the gym hard but its not budging. If I got rid of my lose skin with plastic surgery I would be below goal but I am not planning on any plastic surgery. The recovery and expense is just not worth it to me. Maybe someday. Is it possible that you are just at your bodys set point? I feel you. I am very frustrated but I will keep trying to get there.

Renee - YAY you've come back!

To answer your question, no I do not think its my bodies set point. I just wasn't eating the "good" stuff and now that I have started watching what I eat again, I'm losing.

Shawn - to answer your question is I have two goals, my doctor wants me to get to 155 - that is the highest weight on the BMI chart for me to be healthy. I want to get to 145, I don't want to always be on the border of going obese again, if you know what I mean. I don't want to freak out if I go up 2 lbs and will be considered Obesed by the charts.

Now, the question is, can I get to 145? I'm not sure my body will let me, but if I can't I think I could be happy at 155.

Tonya, I totally understand the obese part. And I know about being at the lower end of goal so that you have some wiggle room.

I am somewhat suspicious of the whole BMI math tho. How does your height and weight compute if you're a body builder? Or have more muscle mass? Or am I just looking for excuses? I'm shooting for a healthy BMI, but I think there must be some variable that makes it not quite accurate for some (probably not me) folks.

So, I'm reading something today (might have been here) and a lady went from size 27 to a size 16 or something. And she lost what I've lost...around 60 pounds. I've went from a size 20 womens to a size 16 (regular). So, there has to be something about body mass and flab?

One of my biggest sources of envy and consternation is that some of you have lost so many sizes so fast. While I've just crept down to another size. I kid you not...today...just today, I get into a size 16. Whhhoooo hooo. A red-letter day to be sure. Anyway, just my random thoughts.

Shawn - YE HAW - CONGRATULATIONS:willy_nilly:

I know how excited you must be! Awesome job.

I know that I lost so quickly in the beginning, however the past year has been hardly anything at all, very very slow. I do believe everyone is different, and slow and steady will win the race!

Oh. I also agree with you on the BMI, not sure how accurate it is. I was reading Dr. Oz's book, YOU ON A DIET - he stated that everyone's body is different, he said to find your ideal body weight, think back when you were at your peak, 18 or 19 years of age or even 20 he suggested and what did you weigh then? Whatever that was, that is your ideal body weight.

So, if that is the case, I weighed around 135 - eeeks. I don't think I will or want to be that weight again. I think I would look like a skeleton. So, I took that number, and the number of the highest BMI which was 155, and decided I would like to be in between there, making my goal of 145. Not sure if I will get there, but thats my goal. :smile:

I remember thinking all my life I was overweight. I went to junior high eating an apple or having liquids such as v-8 juice. When I see pictures of me back then, tho, I was not thin, but not fat either. I did always have thunder thighs!! But when I played sports, I got them down a bit, but never gone for good. I think they are with me forever.

Anyway, I was trying to think what I weighed at 18-20...I went to alaska right out of High school and worked for the summer, and ended up with a spare tire (not a pretty thing on an 18 year old)...now they are called muffin tops...only I wasn't squishing mine into jeans.

I remember, one summer, I was getting really fit to test for some law enforcement jobs. I think I got to 169 and wore a size 12. That was good for me. I was running and doing aerobics almost daily. The best weigh loss for me has been when I've run...which isn't often..but it really works. I was going to try this year but didn't...ick..I hate it. But I've been mentally working on that for next summer (spring if the weather cooperates). You know what just kills me...winter. I think about all the effort to get to running and then lose it all over the winter. Altho, that could just be another excuse. I'm pretty good at that!!

I'm with you tho...slow and steady wins the race. I keep reminding myself when I get off track that this is a lifestyle and not a temporary fix. And at least the scale is more forgiving and doesn't go up five pounds with a lapse.

Girl, I hear ya. I weighed around 128 to 135 my senior year in high school. I remember thinking how fat I was because my friends weighed around 110. I was a cheerleader and very athletic body structure. I can look back now and see I was not fat, but I sure did think I was back then.

I went on radical diets, not eating a thing for days, exept brussel sprouts, or I would on drink liquids etc. I really screwed my matabolism up back then.

I am trying to teach my 16 yr old daughter that its not about dieting but about healthy choices and exercise. She thinks she is fat too. She is 5'3 and weighs 110 maybe 115 lbs. She is not fat, but she feels like she is.

I've been encouraging her to come to the gym with me, we have a family membership at the gym. She said she wants to start coming, but this morning she just couldn't get up because she up late with homework. I just don't want her to make the same mistakes I did.

When I pack their lunches, I no longer put a pop in it, we no longer by any pop at our house. I always put a bottled Water, and every now and then I put a juice in. I use wholewheat bread for their sandwhiches and spinach leaves instead of lettuce on them as well. They have never complained yet, and their lunch is always eaten. So as a parent, I am trying to help them make better choices. My son is 18 now and not an ounce of fat on him, but he is very active, plays basketball everyday after school. So that helps him stay trim, my daughter has no activities (besides shopping and talking the phone) that will help her, so I'm working hard on getting her active at the gym.

I am in a size 10 jean today, I feel good that I made it in a 10. I remember when I sarted this journey I thought if I could get to a true size 12 I would be happy. Well, I made it. I am in a true size 12 and sometimes 10's, just depends on the brand. Why am I not happy? I still see my self as so obese and fat. I see every wrinkle and fat roll on my body. I think I might have unhealthy expectations of what I'm supposed to look like. Not sure, but something I am working on.

Isn't this such a head game? I think the early dieting also screwed up my metabolism. But I know the answer to that and that is to exercise more. I gotta get my head right about that.

I don't recall mom ever feeding us badly. I know that for years I went to the cafe across from the school because I refused to eat hot lunches there...they were BAD...and I ate a corn dog every day for maybe four years!! I haven't had a hot dog in probably 20+ years.....LOL

I've always had an active life...just maybe not the right kind of active. I know my "day job" is sitting on the couch...but in between sessions, I motor around. I just saw an ad for Zumba...latin aerobics. 8 bucks a class...I'm toying with the idea at least a couple days a week.

Too bad cell phone or phone talking isn't aerobic...tons of kids would be svelte!! :rolleyes2:

Its all so individual too. For me, if I don't get into the "normal" wt on the chart I will feel like I failed to some degree. My friend has lost slightly over 100lbs but she is still considered obese on the charts and she it totally cool with it. We are also wear the same size clothes. How that can be I have no idea, but we do. I am into size 12's some 10's. She has had a lbl and I have not but still.

I remember being in HS thinking that I was fat too. And I weighed about 140 lbs. I am not sure that I can get there now. My OB said that I have had 2 kids since then and not to expect to get back to there.

Is anyone else shocked at what they found underneath all that fat? I am AMAZED at how small I am in my upper body particularly. I scratch my shoulders or back and am truly surprised. I am pretty bony and I dont ever remember being bony.

Now between my waist and my knees..... ugh. It isn't cute.

I have 3 boys and neither of my boys took after me. They are both tall and skinny, like their dad. But my nieces are heavy and I see my oldest neice going to HS and not eating because she is embarrased. I have sat them all down and we have gone to sparkteens.com to talk about food choices and calories and stuff. Their mom just isn't educated on calories herself so she feeds her children un healthy foods and portions.

But message that we women are getting on what is considered beautiful is so distorted. Those body types are just not what most of us are or could ever be.