Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about having Lap Band surgery

Hi I am brand new to this sight (discovered it this evening) I am a Kaiser (HMO) patient and am in the process of researching the lap band procedure for myself.

I also belong to another internet support group thru my HMO. I find 99% of people are having or had the gastric bypass surgey and all I get when i ask are negative remarks about lap bands.

Thanks Judie:)

<p>I attended my senimar today, my daughter was with me providing moral support, it was so exciting, I am excited. the Dr. there does not proform lapband but his partner does, Dr. Corian in Modesto CA, Lapband is his specialty. he was unable to attend senimar today. there were about 100 people there, we were informed of all the different types of surgery performed, about 5. I have to let you know, that Dr. Coates (speaker) does not believe in lapband and his a Dr. he encouranged all the lapbanders to reconsider their choice. a few did change their mind. I think most people there were looking for bypass. I feel totally comfortable with my decision to have lapband. waiting for my call tomorrow to set up my first consult, that fast. this is crazy, I cant believe the excitement that I feel and am ready to start my life. Thank you to everyone, without this site and reading all the positve outcomes, I might still be in that undecided mode. I am ready. I am following everyone's advice, by changing my eating habits NOW, chewing slow, excercizing. I am READY</p>

Hi I'm from Australia and am in the process of seeing all the doctors etc involved in the proceedure.

Now I am not knocking bypass surgery - but it's definitely not for me. I know that in the USA a lot of Doctors and Insurance prefer bypass because there is less follow up involved - but the bypass is permanent and cannot be reversed. At least with the lapband, if anything goes wrong it can be removed.

My suggestion: research all you can and decide what is best for you - not your doctor, not the person next door. YOU are the most important person in this decision.:)

I had the lap band put on 4 weeks ago, for me it was the the best option.

1. I like the fact it is reversable.

2. It is totaly agustable.

3. I can have sweets and not get dumping.

4. with time you can loose the same weight as the gastric

bypass, It's just slower. Wich I belive is better for me.

Hi I am brand new to this sight (discovered it this evening) I am a Kaiser (HMO) patient and am in the process of researching the lap band procedure for myself.

I also belong to another internet support group thru my HMO. I find 99% of people are having or had the gastric bypass surgey and all I get when i ask are negative remarks about lap bands.

Thanks Judie:)

You'll find alot of negativity. I don't really know why. Some how it feels like a competition. Or we have to validate our feelings for which surgery we choose. I don't really know. But there are alot of bad vibes between bypass and banders. I really try not to do that and just realize that both surgeries have their place. You just have to find the right one for you. Happy researching and welcome to the boards. Your in the right place for Band info. :)

Hi I am Bob I have had the lap band since Aug 7. Yes there is debate and lots of info on both options. The reason I chose the lap band is that I have heard that there are people who have had the bypass and then regained the weight. We all can lose weight , keeping it off is the hard part. The lap band is reversable in two ways , first it can be drained of all fill and this is done by women are expecting a baby and wish to eat for two. The second way is that it can be taken out the same easy way it was put in , by laproscopic surgery ( no big cuts ). The lap band is adjustable to fill what you want. Yes the lap band is a little slower than bypass but we did not put the weight on in a small time and it should take a certain amount of time to safely take the weight off. There is no dumping with lap band. Some times you will hear stories of lap banded people saying that some food has come up, but this is a bit rare and it is part of the learning process. The death rate for bypass is something like 1 in 200 or so. For the lap band it is 1 in 5000.

For me personally, I love my band. I am 42 and five foot ten inches, in June I weighed 353 pounds. I was sick. High blood pressure back pain and I am not married no girlfriend and no children and I don't go to any dances due to my weight. I was on the Optifast pre-surgery diet and on the day of my surgery I weighed 330 pounds on Aug 7 2007.

Now today Oct 5 2007 I weigh 275 pounds.

Did I mention I love my band !

Not every person will lose this much this quickly. Each person is different.

Good luck in your search.,

, Bob

Hi I am Bob I have had the lap band since Aug 7. Yes there is debate and lots of info on both options. The reason I chose the lap band is that I have heard that there are people who have had the bypass and then regained the weight. We all can lose weight , keeping it off is the hard part. The lap band is reversable in two ways , first it can be drained of all fill and this is done by women are expecting a baby and wish to eat for two. The second way is that it can be taken out the same easy way it was put in , by laproscopic surgery ( no big cuts ). The lap band is adjustable to fill what you want. Yes the lap band is a little slower than bypass but we did not put the weight on in a small time and it should take a certain amount of time to safely take the weight off. There is no dumping with lap band. Some times you will hear stories of lap banded people saying that some food has come up, but this is a bit rare and it is part of the learning process. The death rate for bypass is something like 1 in 200 or so. For the lap band it is 1 in 5000.

For me personally, I love my band. I am 42 and five foot ten inches, in June I weighed 353 pounds. I was sick. High blood pressure back pain and I am not married no girlfriend and no children and I don't go to any dances due to my weight. I was on the Optifast pre-surgery diet and on the day of my surgery I weighed 330 pounds on Aug 7 2007.

Now today Oct 5 2007 I weigh 275 pounds.

Did I mention I love my band !

Not every person will lose this much this quickly. Each person is different.

Good luck in your search.,

, Bob

Just a note to add...the bypass surgery can also be done lapascopically but for some odd reason they have all their patients thinking the surgery is more successful if its done open. To me it's awful what that open surgery does to you. Your almost guaranteed a hernia too. Anyways just wanted to clarify that the bypass can also be done lapascopically just most doctors don't do it that way. Happy friday

Wow Bob - you are doing great - well done!!! I was banded only 3 days ago and things are going well. A little tender and sore at times, but apart from that all is good. I look forward to my new banded lifestyle.

That is not true. My doctor now does 90% lapband as apposed to 30% 15 months ago. Do your homework. I would never have gastric bypass.