Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i started to go through the talk of weight loss surgery

Im 250lbs tried exercizze diets medically diets and nothing i decided to get surgery i decided gastric sleeve anyone can give me some advice about the pre op surgery and how long is the hospital stay

Edited by ilovecp17

I only spent one overnight in the hospital for observation. Next morning the surgeon came to visit, took one look at me, & said, "You look like you haven't even had surgery!" I said, "Great! Send me home!"

Totally depends on where you are worldwide but here was mine for Glasgow.

Preop was 3 weeks liquids and one meal that I changed round with permission to add yoghurts etc. Lost 9kg in that time.

Surgery stay is generally 3 days, surgery day/night in HDU as standard. I was sleeved on 18/4 and out on 21St. Have had no pain since first night and taking liquids fine.

I had a drain and catheter for 24hrs and no issues after.

Pre-op again depends on insurance/NHS/private company.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using BariatricPal mobile app

what do they ask in the psyc eval im scared i wont pass

On 5/2/2017 at 9:45 AM, ilovecp17 said:

what do they ask in the psyc eval im scared i wont pass

I googled bariatric psych evaluation questions, and they were very similar to what I had with the Dr. Essentially, they want to make sure you understand what is going on, what the risks are, and if you have any tendencies to abuse substances (alcohol/drugs) after surgery. It took me abut 20 minutes to get through about 150 questions (many are the exact same question or a variation of the same topic). For me there were a couple religious questions to see if they should advise I seek council there if I need it.

Basically, they want to know how much you drink/do drugs (It is my understanding that if you admit to drug use, you maybe disqualified), if you will follow the instructions from your providers (or someone in a position of authority), and how your weight has affected your life. While I didn't lie, 99% of the questions were obvious how one "should" answer them.

I hope this helps.

I was only in the hospital 1 night. My psych eval was no questionaire and about 10 minutes long. Super easy.

It's all dependent on your doctor and insurance plan. Some people can eat up to 24 hours before surgery, others may do 1-2 weeks of a liquid diet. Some go home the next day, others it's a 2-3 day stay. Pysch evals all vary, but most are a sit down talk for a few minutes and then a questionnaire (it's nothing to fear). Chances are your journey will be very similar to others and a mix & match of things that others went through.

With my doctors in order for you to fail the psych eval you'd have to either admit to continuing to smoke cigarettes/drugs or if you've been hospitalized for mental health reasons within 1 years time they will say no. Some hospitals might be more lenient or strict but this is what the nurse (that works with the counselor) told me. If you get to do your eval online, even better. Mine was in person

I have anxiety because of my weight I'm controlling it with meds can I still get phyciatric test pass I don't smoke use drugs or drink alcohol or been hospitalized BC of a mental disorder

Don't worry about it. There are plenty of adults who take medication for that kind of thing at some point in their lives. If they disqualified patients over it, then they probably couldn't make money doing this.