Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve to Bypass, will I go back to classes?

Hello.

I have severe Gerd. My EGD today showed hiatal hernia, gastritis and esophagitis. My doctor has already mentioned converting to bypass as a solution.

I'm willing to do anything at this point, and want the pain gone yesterday. The nighttime episodes of asperating acid is scaring me.

For those that have converted from the sleeve, did they make you go through another 6 months of classes?

Thank you for any information.

Debbie

Edited by Debbbiee

I am currently in the process of revising from sleeve to bypass, I have to only do 2 months.

Hi Debbbiee, My band is already out 4 years ago. I was a self-pay. Our insurance sent me to one of their doctors to take it out. Conversion was not an option because they didn't cover it.

If it had been my lapband surgeon who removed it, then he would have wanted me to go thru NUT classes and see the psych - not for more testing but to discuss the major changes coming up, etc.

You're at the point where I was in that it's becoming urgent for you with the aspirating at night. So I would expect you may have a few appts to take care of, but I would not expect it to be a 6 mos process while you're laying there aspirating & more damage is happening to the esophagus.

Do you have an appt to talk to your surgeon about it now that you have the EDG results?

I just had my revision from sleeve to bypass. I only had to take the pre op but class. Then surgery 3 weeks later.
It all depends on your Dr. and my revision was for the same reasons. Good luck.

I am going from band to bypass. I have to redo the nutrition classes. I had the band in 2011, but I have switched jobs and insurances since then. Not sure if that plays a part or not. I was disappointed, but it is what it is.

I am having a sleeve to bypass revision on Friday and lost a battle with my insurance company due to a company policy exclusion. That being said, had insurance approved I would not have had to do the classes according to my surgeon. I have maintained my weight loss since my original surgery and she made it sound like that was the reason. I think if regain is the reason for revision, even if you have GERD, they expect you to do classes. Not sure if that helps or not but that's my understanding.

100% all depends on your insurance. I've got GEHA now and they are requiring 6 months of nutrition appointments... not super pleased with it, but, if I want this band to bypass revision, I need to check off their boxes. Certainly try to fight it, but be ready for them to be sticklers.