Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone...my husband and I are going on a cruise in early July...by that point, I will be sbout 3.5 months post-op...anyone have any tips as I am already getting anxious about all of that food and making sure I am able to get all my Protein in...thanks

I am only 6 weeks post op & am going on a cruise next March which would put me at one year post op. I would suggest dining in the restaurants vs the buffets. When I went last time I ate so many cheeseburgers and fries lol, that was this past December.

8 minutes ago, New Me 31317 said:

Hi everyone...my husband and I are going on a cruise in early July...by that point, I will be sbout 3.5 months post-op...anyone have any tips as I am already getting anxious about all of that food and making sure I am able to get all my Protein in...thanks

My partner and I love cruising! Yes, there will be food everywhere, but the good news is, there is food everywhere. There is plenty of Protein to be had on cruise ships. I know for a fact that Carnival has grilled chicken breast and grilled salmon available every night in the main dining room. I'm sure the others have something similar. The buffets always have lean protein and vegetables as well. The challenge is going to be staying away from the empty calories and carbs that will throw you off course.

Also, I'd recommend bringing along some Protein Shakes or Protein Powder. I'm not sure what their rules are about the ready-made shakes, but since nothing like that is available on board (to my knowledge), I can't imagine that they wouldn't allow them to be brought aboard.

Bon Voyage!!

You can let your waiter know of any special meals requests. I've cruised a lot and have always been dieting. Right off the bat I told my waiter to please not put any carbs on my plate (rice, potatoes, etc.) I never had to remind him after that. I also asked him to never offer me dessert and he didn't. It made it a lot easier for me. I skipped the midnight chocolate buffet and walked by any other dessert offerings. As Blizair said, there's plenty of Proteins everywhere.. at all meals no matter where they are served.

Exercising is easy on the ship. I would walk laps on the upper deck. They have an area just for walkers and runners. Nothing like walking as you look out over the ocean.

I'm sure you'll have a blast! Enjoy!

Take Protein powder & a couple of blender bottles with you to supplement if/when need be. Most (all?) cruise ships have a walking track on the top deck for exercise. Some (all?) have a gym, as well, but there may be an extra charge to use those facilities.

Call ahead and let them know of your dietary preferences/restrictions. I did that when I cruised on Carnival several years go (for a different reason) and they customized a meal for me each night in the dining room. I was able to find what I needed in the dining room and/or buffets for Breakfast and lunch each day.

Have fun!

I cruise a lot. First this isn't something you need to call ahead about as other dietary issues. If you decide to eat in the main dining room, you will be ordering off a menu. I would only eat in the dining room if you can have a table for two. You do not want to sit and watch ofhers eat amd wait around for each person to be served including dessert. Just order the Protein and tell them NO sides. They will bring you a standard steak, chicken, fish. They are precut so they won't cut in half. You won't be tempted to eat too much at 3.5 months. Just remember to stop when you feel enough.

I found just going to the buffet easier at night. I could chose a small piece of protein and be good with that.

It's actually going to be easy for you because you are not that far out post surgery.

Cruises have so many options for protein, meats, chicken, cheese, hummas,.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app