Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much water should I be drinking?

I find it hard to get Water (or any liquid) in. What should my goal be? Almost 11 weeks out. I'm probably averaging 32oz. Is that enough to keep dehydration away? I was admitted to the hospital once already for dehydration and would really like to avoid that again.

I would say that you need a minimum of 64 oz each day. Personally, I have 80 oz of Water per day and another 32 oz of Powerade Zero/water mix. That being said, ask your team, but I bet they say at least 64 oz.

Just now, jjsasha said:

I know I need to make this much more of a focus. I'm finding it difficult to get the Fluid in and the food in. Still figuring it out I guess.

I have been keeping a daily consumption record since I had the surgery back in September to help me eat and drink as I should (and allow the time before and after eating before drinking). I eat 7-8 times per day, about 2 hours apart, and between that and the Water, it takes me 12-14 hours every day. It is a commitment, for sure, and the record is the only way that I can keep up with it -- even at nearly 7 months out!

I've seen some say that their doc told them being in the 40 oz range is okay, but 95% of the time I see 64 oz as the recommendation (and that's why my doc told me). I would definitely try to get it up as best you can. If you're having Protein Shakes remember those can add to your daily Water intake. Doc always told me that they'd rather me sacrifice getting my Protein in over not enough water. Obviously that shouldn't be a long term thing, but in the early days their biggest concern was dehydration.

I also recommend keeping an accurate track of what you're drinking. Either buy a resuable bottle or two, or you can also reuse a Powerade bottle. Most of the time I use that to track my water since they're 32 oz. My goal is to get down 2 full containers a day of water (or something like Crystal Light). I usually get well past that, but it's my measuring stick so to speak.

My doctor told me in general your urine should be mostly clear (minus first thing in the morning). If it is yellow or worse during the day, increase your Fluid intake

I was 67 when sleeved. I remember being told not to lift anything heavy, but I was shopping and walking the mall four days after the sleeve. I needed no pain pills after I was released from 8 hours in the hospital. So thankful I was feeling great.

I remember reading an article about how a female you should be averaging about 96oz per of Water based fluids per day, and men should be closer to about 120oz. It took me well over a year to a year and a half to finally start getting in 120oz of water/water based fluids in on a daily consist bases. Give yourself time and you will get there. Just try and stay consistent and get in as much water as you can per day. Because you absolutely don't want to get/suffer from dehydration at all. It sucks and it can cause all sorts of issues.

Definitely minimum 64 oz daily. If you miss your target once in awhile it won't hurt but if you continuously are short on fluids you will become dehydrated.