Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein drinks in week 1?

Was anyone allowed premade Protein Shakes in week 1? Or was it strictly Clear Liquids for 1-2 weeks?

I'm getting hunger pangs that subside for a bit after having broth, so I know it's hunger and not acid. But the cramps are back after less than 30 minutes. Hoping a little Protein will keep them at bay longer.

They made me drink a Protein Drink in less than 24 hours so I could leave the hospital, so yes. Protein Drinks were included in clear liquids for me.

Certainly - programs vary all over the map - though I never used the pre-made ones, just the powdered mixes. We were started on a soft diet, so weren't restricted to just liquids, though they were certainly a big part of things initially.

Thank god. I'm having one now. My doc's preop diet was complete bullshit, (fruit smoothies only, no protein... for ketosis. Yeah.) so I don't feel particularly faithful to his ways of thinking. I'd rather follow another doctor's diet.

I fail to be amazed at the variety of pre-op diets anymore, as docs do all kinds of things for all kinds of stated and unstated reasons. Likely, ketosis was far from his intention, as it is hardly a major success factor in WLS, as much as one may read about it in internet forums. For us, ketosis (or at least the objectionable symptoms) was merely an accidental thing that happened because the diet was overly low in carbohydrates for a while, but that didn't make any difference to the weight loss performance of the program. But that does sound a bit scant in Protein for something leading up to (any) surgery.

I'm day 5 post-op and was told in introduce one shack at day four and two day five. Total of 5-6oz/per hour.

My post op diet at Kaiser SoCal consists of Isopure (a clear Protein juice type of thing) for the first five days and then you can have regular protein drinks.< /p>

I fail to be amazed at the variety of pre-op diets anymore, as docs do all kinds of things for all kinds of stated and unstated reasons. Likely, ketosis was far from his intention, as it is hardly a major success factor in WLS, as much as one may read about it in internet forums. For us, ketosis (or at least the objectionable symptoms) was merely an accidental thing that happened because the diet was overly low in carbohydrates for a while, but that didn't make any difference to the weight loss performance of the program. But that does sound a bit scant in Protein for something leading up to (any) surgery.

He specifically said it was to induce ketosis to shrink the liver before surgery. 5 fruit smoothies a day. No protein. So I just shut my mouth and followed a low carb liquid diet with protein instead. I had berry smoothies with almond milk once a day but that's it.

My surgeon's post-op orders are 3 days of clear liquids. Full liquids (including Protein shakes) start on day 4.

I was on Clear Liquids the day after surgery and then 2 weeks of liquid/soft diet. So Protein Shakes, cottage cheese, strained Soups, Jello, SF pudding, apple sauce, yogurt, etc.

My stomach was deeply confused during the clear liquid phase (this improved with time). My favorite things were strained miso Soup with collagen powder, sugar free finger Jello, and Bone Broth my husband cooked with a Parmesan rind for flavor and then strained. Surprising amounts of Protein in those. When I was cleared for thin Protein Shakes, I really liked the nectar fruits and unflavored. And my oh-look-I-need-hysterectomy surgeon cleared those as clear liquids for that surgery.