Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not getting full, no energy

I'm on soft food, and expected to feel the restriction of a smaller stomach, but I don't. Had a can of tuna with no problem, full but not uncomfortable. I keep reading about people eating a few bites and feeling full, and I feel like I can eat a lot more than expected. Is this normal? I'm so afraid of falling back into old patterns of binging.

I had an easy recovery, no pain, and started working out half hour a day. Now at two weeks, I'm exhausted all the time. I can be up and moving for max three hours, I then crash and nap, sleep 9 hours a night, and then take a morning nap. I was feeling so great, and now I'm returning to work and I don't know how I'm going to stay awake. It's a desk job, but still. I'm getting in 400-600 calories. About 60g of Protein.

Help!

Two weeks out I was tired all the time as well. I went back to work after three weeks and felt like collapsing after work (didn't do the standing work for two more weeks IIRC) even though it was only sitting in front of a computer.

It takes a while.

I don't know what you're eating throughout the day but getting in enough fluids, veg and Protein is important even that early out.

You need to remember that you're recovering from major surgery. Lots of people feel exhausted post surgery. The person before is right - keep your Fluid and Protein intake up and before you know it you'll come out the other side feeling fab. Don't forget to take your Vitamins too

All of the above posts are right. Things that contribute to exhaustion are not getting enough fluids, not getting enough Protein, and a HUGE contributor is you just had major surgery a few weeks ago. sleep helps the body heal. Healing is exhausting. Plus, the anesthesia from the surgery can knock a person on their butt for up to a month. If you're nervous, call your doc or your NUT. Sometimes just talking it thru with them can help.

You won't start really feeling the restriction until you start eating solid foods. This is why you need to measure out your portions. Make sure you are getting in your fluids as well. I stayed home from work for 5 weeks and was still exhausted when I got home every day. Even though the incisions are healed on the outside, your insides are still healing up and your body is having to survive on 1/4th of the calories you probably ate pre-op.

I was the same way with the lack of restriction. I didn't feel it at first....I could pretty easily eat more than my 1-2 oz I was supposed to have (especially soup!) And I remember thinking how very easy it would be to go back to my old binging ways. Well, long story short, about 4 weeks after surgery I was eating lean turkey....which was ok on my plan at that time but I was eating far too fast, not chewing, not paying attention to portion size. and about 10 bites in I was in a lot of pain and ended up vomiting it all back up. Thankfully I didn't do any damage to my pouch but it sure scared me. And really showed me just how important it is that I fix my 'head'.... Now that I'm eating solid foods it is much easier to feel it too. I also think I never really understood what "full" felt like. I always thought it was the painful, uncomfortable, going to explode feeling but it's not. After talking to my NUT, I now know that full for me is more of a slight heaviness in my stomach - and when I feel that I know the next bite or two will send me over the top.

Thank you so much everyone! The reassurance is so helpful, especially in the early days. Its a learning curve and I'm learning to be a more mindful eater. Focusing on portions and listening to the stomach makes all the difference. Therapy help too [emoji16].

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app