Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Switching from the Sleeve to the Roux en Y

2 hours ago, hardwork&dedication said:

I'm actually considering going the other way. The surgeon suggested sleeve but I told him I must have RNY, so he put me down for that surgery. Now Im having second thoughts and I have scheduled another consultation and I am planning on telling him I want the sleeve....I dont know which one to do!

Just curious, why have you changed your mind? I had the sleeve about 5 1/2 years ago and lost 75 lbs. very easily. However now I am going to have RNY on June 12 because my reflux is out of control. Do you have a lot of weight to lose? Do you have reflux? Not sure if your concerned about that or that you won't lose enough weight?

I haven't had any reflux or hernia problems pre-surgery. I have about 120 pounds to lose. I'm worried about losing enough weight and also dumping and gerd (I don't want either one). Also I want to lose all the weight...but really top priority is feeling the best and fewest complications...and I really dont want to go through a second surgery.

2 minutes ago, hardwork&dedication said:

I haven't had any reflux or hernia problems pre-surgery. I have about 120 pounds to lose. I'm worried about losing enough weight and also dumping and gerd (I don't want either one). Also I want to lose all the weight...but really top priority is feeling the best and fewest complications...and I really dont want to go through a second surgery.

I never had any dumping but I followed my what he told me to do and eat. You will lose the weight because your stomach is so small, there is no way you can overeat. Your post op is liquids and purees for a time on either. As long as you follow his directions and eat and drink what he says, you should have no problem with the weight coming off. In my opinion, I would just go with the RNY. The recovery and diets are the same from what I hear. Let me know what he says in your consultation. When is that?

I just had a consult w my surgeon today .. he says either is fine for me .. cos no gerd issues or diabetes .. but diabetes runs in big in my family history.. also my BMI is 40 which I was surprised he suggested bypass as an option as well ..i heard it can be more risky ..& sleeve less invasive ... which I know surgery is surgery they are all invasive .. I'm only rethinking my decision to bypass versus sleeve because the long-term success.. Can anyone share there thoughts on this ?

My BMI is 40 as well and I have opted for the bypass because I also feel the long success rate will be a better option for me. I don't want to even consider the possibility of a revision and I think for me this is just the best option personally.

I agree the more & more I do my research.. I do not wanna go under the knife w revision.. my portion are already small anyway .. so I'm thinking bypass is best for me too .