Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm unsupportive, but I want to be....

It is not that bod or dangerous a surgery if that reassures you any. Had mine Tuesday came home Wednesday and ready to go back to work on Monday. You will probably see him and future kids you have much sicker and requires more care than this.

It's. Not. About. You. This is about your fiancé and his health and what his doctors recommend so he can live his best life.

I understand your fears, as this is major surgery.

My wife and I are in the process of getting gastric sleeve together, within a few months of each other.

I am scared for her and scared for me.

However, we both understand the risks involved and the rewards of a healthier better life.

We are getting this done to improve our lives and to be healthy for our kids.

I would suggest counseling and therapy to work on your fears and anxiety.

You are correct about the resentments he will harbor towards you if you discourage him from getting the surgery.

I wanted to get sleeved 4 years ago and my wife was opposed to it.

I had resentments towards her for that, but now here we are trying to get it together.

You said you are afraid you won't like the new him, that very well could happen.

You could also find out you don't like him without surgery, relationships and especially marriage take a lot of work.

At the end of the day it is about him and his health and feeling better about himself.

I believe you can get on board with that

I'm going to be blunt because I don't feel like anyone is really adressing what's going on here.

Grow up or walk away. You're selfish and immature.
I think you hit the real issue with the sentence "I'm scared he will change and I won't like the new him. " and then proceeded to cover it up in concerns for him being in pain and struggling. I'm sure you don't want to see him in pain or struggling, but let's call this what it is. What you're really afraid of is that he will change and won't like the same old you. If you can't get over that or work on that ASAP, then you need to get out of this relationship and let him do what he needs to do because this is not about YOU. How dare you hold someone back from the possibility of a healither life because you "can't handle it" and are insecure.
In my opinion, marriage is the last thing you need if you can't cut to the chase and admit that you're not supportive because you want this to be about you.

I'm going to agree in the gentlest way possible that you've made this entirely about yourself instead of his wellness and you sound incredibly selfish.

My husband opposed the idea at first. He didn't think I was "big enough" to do something so drastic and was worried about the risks. Fair enough. After hearing me out and understanding that my motivation is to improve my health long term. He got behind it and has become my greatest supporter.

I think it's perfectly normal to be concerned!

What you described though, is beyond normal concern. You allude to a previous incident that sounded traumatizing. You seem very worried about coping with your partner being vulnerable. Honestly, as far as surgeries go, this one is pretty easy recovery wise. Getting a hip or knee replacement (for example) has a far more difficult recovery period.

You know that you need to support him because this is something important to him. I suspect the best way you can do that is to seek counselling for whatever issues are being brought up by all this. That way, when his surgery date approaches you'll be able to be there for him and be able to cope with the anxiety from whatever happened before.

@Nicole Edwards you need therapy for yourself so you can get past your issues of trauma - whatever it was. I don't see this as merely a fear of the surgery but something deeper within you that needs to be resolved. Why do you need to have him stay fat? How is his fat serving you? And people change and become their true selves. What are you hiding and clinging to?

Let him fix himself and stay out of his way. You don't get to decide this. Fix yourself and get stronger.