Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3 post-op, BMI 35, quick recovery but what next?

Hi guys

I posted a couple of weeks ago re using the gastric sleeve pre-emptively given my cholesterol, pre-diabetes, genetic makeup and sedentary lifestyle. BMI of 35 at 43 yrs and getting heavier every month.

Anyway - all done! I am in hospital in Perth with little pain, no nausea, a happy surgeon and great drugs taking the edge off :)

I would be grateful for people's top 3 tips from here on. Especially as to what I eat, how often etc..when I get home. I am still on Clear Liquids at present, but expect mush tomorrow. I want to keep on top of the Protein above all.

Thanks in advance for your tips!

Simon

I wish I was one of you minimum pain people. I was in serious pain. Couldn't even cough or laugh without having that concrete stuffed bear on my stomach that the hospital gives you.

Stick to your weekly plan of what foods to eat given to you by your doctor. Also measure the quantity. If they say a half cup stick to it.

Do not lay down after eating or drinking. If you haven't experienced this yet save yourself some pain.

So, I'm not a guy, but like you, I had no pain post-op and have felt great ever since. My biggest issue was that I could consume more than recommended, or what other people could handle. For example, 1 or 2 sips or Water was not a big deal for me, nor was half a cup (day 2 post-op when we were given liquids). I'm a month out from surgery now and I usually eat 1/2 cup to 1 cup worth of food at a sitting - something I shouldn't be able to do 6-12 months from now (based on what i've read of other people's experiences). I'm not overeating - I'm in the calorie range recommended by my NUT, and I get 80-110g of Protein in every day, and I keep my fat and carb levels low (I try to keep carbs lower than fat grams, but that doesn't always work out). That said, now that I am eating real foods, I do feel the restriction more - I often have to put the leftovers of my meal away for a small snack later on. So the restriction so far has mainly come from eating meat (chicken) and eggs (if I have more than 1). I'm trying hard to stay within recommended limits because I realised that I probably wasn't feeling anything because of the nerves being cut in my stomach. So unlike those that have a hard time with it physically, I have to deal with it mentally and remember to slow down and not worry about finishing everything on my little plate.

In the first 2 weeks post-op I got all my protein from shakes (that I mixed myself, not the premade stuff, which I don't really care for). When I was eating strained Soups I added unflavoured Protein Powder to that (make sure to mix it with cool water first, before putting it into the Soup, otherwise it'll clump.) Now that I'm eating more food I only need one shake a day to make sure I hit my minimum goal (which 80g at the moment).

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you go.

5 hours ago, Jaguarftype said:

Thanks Illailia. My problem is I go home tomorrow and haven't been given an eating plan! I assume it will turn up in the morning...

Yeah from what i've read on here some surgeons are pretty loose with their diet progression...mine wasn't and had a strict week by week plan

Weeks 1-2: Full liquid 10 grams of Protein per meal 6 meals a day (clear liquids)

Weeks 3-4: Blended 10-15 grams protein per meal 4-6 meals a day (blended meat, fish, eggs, or tofu, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, bady food, cooked vegetables, fruit, Soups, )

Weeks 5-6: Low Residue 20 grams protein per meal 3-5 meals a day (lean poultry, fish, or lean ground meat, creamy nut butters, egg or egg beaters, soft cooked vegetables, light yogurt TOASTED bread)

Weeks 7 and beyond: 20-25 grams of protein per meal 3 meals a day (fish, poultry, legumes cooked soft, fresh or canned vegetables and fruit, cooked cereals, potatoes not fried, whole grains like rice quinoa or barley)

avoid sweet beverages, whole milk, citrus acidic foods, alcohol, caffeine, fried foods, breads with seeds, fruit with tough skins, high fat meals, soft Gummy bread, sugar and sweets

that's sort of a skeleton of what to eat if i forgot anything someone please add on

Very helpful; thanks. My surgeon seems mega relaxed! I am on day 4 and can easily eat a bowl of jelly as long as I take it slow. Tonight I ate a bowl of jelly and a small bowl of clear broth. I had to do it slowly, but I didn't feel too full. That surprised me. Am I doing something wrong?

Im on full liquids for 21 days, then on to soft foods like tuna, baked fish,hummus,ect... for a few weeks, then on to most foods with the exception of nuts beef Jerky type foods.