Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

About 10 weeks post I had a glass of wine then 2 weeks later I went on an all inclusive vacation and yes I had a drink daily but I can say if I hadn't had the surgery I would have drank all day / everyday at the pool and several more into the night so I guess although I wish I hadn't had any, I find having had one or 2 drinks per day a victory in comparison to pre surgery and I haven't had any alcohol since back home and I used to have wine pretty much daily!

So good to know. I'm going in an all inclusive vay-cay in May. Pre-surgery I'd drink all day too. It's nice to see someone else can tolerate it. 2 glasses is really good. I was expecting to read 1/2 glass of alcohol. I can't wait! [emoji16]

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 180.8
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

I'm 7 months out and can't handle anything carbonated I miss beer! I first had some wine about 3 months out, and defknetly noticed a lower tolerance but now I can have 2 glasses of wine, or 1 fairly strong cocktail and catch a buzz.

I'm going on a cruise in Septemeber and will be a little over 5 1/2 months out from surgery. I know last time my friend and I drank ourselves silly. This time I'm hesitant because I'm scared to drink to much and get sick. I'm a vodka, tonic with a lime or Moscow Mule type girl, so I guess I might just have to switch it up with something else.

Edited by Jhacque7

I think i was 4 weeks after and have just stayed away from anything fizzy. Vodka and cranberry juice does the trick

Sent from my SM-G920I using the BariatricPal App

Do you feel the alcohol faster since surgery?

Remember alcohol metabolizes as sugar so I'd be careful ........ but have fun[emoji873]

Im kind of worried about being able to drink also. I know two people that had wls several years ago and both of their alcohol tolerance is very low to this day. If I have to give it up I will but I sure hope not.

I had a drink at about 4 months out -- my NUT told me that ~IF I CHOSE TO DRINK~ I should stick to clear liquors and no sugary mixers. My go-to is a gimlet, but I've only had 1 1/2 since surgery in Nov; it's gin + rose's lime juice, it's not great but not terrible either.

To everyone who recommends wine: HOW?! I was told white wine wasn't a bad choice but it only took 2 sips to give me heartburn....

The reason the doctors tell us no alcohol is the high sugar and calorie content.

Between ice cream and booze, wow. A lot of people know how to really keep a tight reign on it, but others just indulge. That's dangerous.

This is a tool for me, I've cut out all the alcohol in my diet. Stopped eating sugar, period, don't do sweeteners either.

I figure since I got so fat they had to cut me open, why ruin the fantastic tool I'm to be given?

I posted a story, "Never Again."
I had made frozen drink and drank about 5 sips and went into what's described as Dumping syndrome. Sugar+alcohol =HELL
I walked around in agony! I had spasms from my throat to my bottom. The cold triggered it, sugar, and alcohol exasperated it. Relief came after I got into a hot shower, and after put a heating pad on my tummy. I did not have other gastro issues some might imagine. Just pain that I couldn't even stay still. June will be 1 year and white wine works for me. Vodka knocks me on my Butt. Red wine is too acidic for me.

Let's see I waited until I was two months out to have a sip of wine. I figured that wine would be the lesser of the evils. Please jump in with some words of knowledge, but this was my rationale: vodka is potatoes, whiskey is wheat, but wine is grapes. I didn't want too sweet because I was afraid - I'm afraid of everything. LOL So, I had an ounce of Moscato. It was very nice. I had my surgery on 12/19/16. I planned it that way but in hind sight, what was I thinking?! But, I made it. So, I had the ounce on my birthday.

I wouldn't find myself having any drink until I visit my buddy back in California next summer. So effectively a year after surgery. Even then considerations like, if my stage 3 fibrosis improved, how much I can consume and if I even feel like it will play a role in whether or not I have any drinks. Booze hasn't really something I must have so I don't prioritize it that highly. I just always liked the wrong kind of drinks evidently (soda-liquor mixers like Capn-Cherry Coke, Jack and Coke, Seven-Seven, Orange Crush/Slice and Vodka, etc.).