Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I get banded and Trader Joe's opens up...

Here I am, about 10 days post-surgery and Trader Joe's opened up one block from my house. I had my first "big excursion" this morning. I showed up at 8am, listened to the mayor and the high school band and then went grocery shopping. I love Trader Joe's. I bought hummus and salmon burgers and all kinds of lovely proteiny mushies. I also bought foods my family will eat.

I didn't ever really feel remorse while shopping, but I did kind of wish I could eat some sushi or a really nice salad with salami and chickpeas as I wandered the aisles in a huge crowd of fellow "first day early morning shoppers."

My adventure took nearly three hours. I was famished by the time I got home. I cooked a salmon burger and it tasted like heaven.

I look forward to being able to eat non-mushies like "Thai green beans" (beans with chili paste) and salads again! I even miss chicken! I did buy some chicken salad for myself--and some really nice organic, free range and Kosher (the magic trio) chicken breasts for my family.

All the Trader Joe's treats...the chocolates....the breads...they didn't call my name. I guess my mind has been banded, too. And that's a good thing!

Darr

Darr, Trader Joe's is a great store with so many bandster choices. I have one not too far from my house too. Congrats on not giving into the temptations.

A salmon burger 10 days post-op? Is that really considered a mushy food by your surgeon? Please be careful of moving on to solid foods too soon. BTW, I LOVE Trader Joe's!

A salmon burger
It was pretty mushy! It was hot and flaky.

I did, however, have a problem several hours later when I took a "bite" of a cold patty. Chomp! No chewing. Swallow. And my first PB. How lovely.

I do wonder, however, if having PB means that I have restriction in my new band! That would be wonderful!

I did the hair-ball thing, then drank about a tablespoon of pineapple juice and went about my day.

Darr

I am so with you! Joe's is awesome! I couldn't live without Trader Joe's.

I buy the salmon there, but I make the salmon burger myself...

Delicious!

1374374549_5250eb21e0.jpg

2 1/4 pounds salmon fillet, skinned, pin bones removed

1/2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs) or other dried bread crumbs

1/2 cup minced scallions

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves

2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce

Using a sharp knife, cut the salmon into 1-inch pieces and transfer to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the fish is finely chopped. (Take care not to overprocess or salmon will become a paste.) Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the panko, 1/4 cup of the scallions, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, minced ginger, egg, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the soy sauce. Using a rubber spatula, mix gently but thoroughly to combine. Divide the mixture into 6 even portions and shape into patties about 4 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot, season both sides of the salmon burgers lightly with the Kosher salt and add the burgers to the skillet and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides and the salmon is just cooked through, about 3 1/2 minutes per side.

Recipe from Emeril.

Joe's just started to carry frozen black raspberries, the best for smoothies.

Trader Joe's vanilla soy milk + Trader Joe's vanilla whey powder + frozen black raspberries ... yuMmmmmmmm

s-weight.png

s-weight.png

Darr- I am SO not trying to be mean, but having a PB 10 days post-op is not a good thing! It doesn't mean you have restriction, it means you are probably still swollen internally from the surgery. Please be careful and eat things that don't need to be chewed- like yoghurt, mashed potatoes, creamy Soups, Protein Shakes, etc. Eating solids too soon can jeopardize the healing of your band!!

Darr- I am SO not trying to be mean, but having a PB 10 days post-op is not a good thing! It doesn't mean you have restriction, it means you are probably still swollen internally from the surgery. Please be careful and eat things that don't need to be chewed- like yoghurt, mashed potatoes, creamy Soups, Protein shakes, etc. Eating solids too soon can jeopardize the healing of your band!!

Very true. It's the IDEAL way to cause a slip.

or put the salmon burger in the blender with your condiment of choice or hot broth and eat it with a spoon. I ate pureed meat loaf during my mushie stage...it looked gross but was delightful.