Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass versus Sleeve

I actually had the sleeve in 01/13 and had restrictions but not real progress so Tuesday I'm have the bypass. I never even lost 75lbs and I was 365 and now I'm slightly over 300. My doc actually chose for me and I trusted him, which I still do and he's doing my revision Tuesday. My friend who was about my size had hers right before me and was successful as well as maintained it with the same surgeon. I have PCOS, depression, anxiety and a few other things that factor in obviously but I think I'm just one of the people it unfortunately didn't work for. I still eat so little and got absurd reflux from the sleeve but no other real complaints. Sometimes I think it's a crapshoot and genetics but your goals are a huge factor. Good luck to anyone still deciding!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

1 hour ago, Heath55 said:

I actually had the sleeve in 01/13 and had restrictions but not real progress so Tuesday I'm have the bypass. I never even lost 75lbs and I was 365 and now I'm slightly over 300 . My doc actually chose for me and I trusted him, which I still do and he's doing my revision Tuesday. My friend who was about my size had hers right before me and was successful as well as maintained it with the same surgeon. I have PCOS, depression, anxiety and a few other things that factor in obviously but I think I'm just one of the people it unfortunately didn't work for. I still eat so little and got absurd reflux from the sleeve but no other real complaints. Sometimes I think it's a crapshoot and genetics but your goals are a huge factor. Good luck to anyone still deciding!

jeez that's like my preop thus far

Really hope vsg works for me.. surgeon offered rny if sleeve doesn't go as planned

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

I lost like 7lbs on my pre op and 17lbs the 1st month, 2nd was 11lbs m, 3rd was 5lbs, 4th was 11lbs, 5th was 4lbs, nothing in the 5th, 7th went to 9lbs, then none again THEN I GAINED 10lbs in the 11th month. My BMI was still like 48% and since then it goes to and down. By a year and a half I put 49lbs back on then worked to drop again since.

I hope it does too and just be mindful that your doc will but your insurance might not. I had Horizon then so when I agreed to AmeriHealth last year they said as long as they hadn't paid for it AmeriHealth would cover the revision. It took multiple appeals and months till my denial got overturned. I hope everything is much smoother than you and I'm the queen of complications if it's helpful lol.

I wanted the sleeve because it was a simple surgery. Plus if I ever needed a revision in the future they can make it a rny. I don't think I will need it. My highest weight was 420 pounds. Had surgery on July 2016. My weight is now 273 pounds. Weightloss surgery was the best decision I've ever made. Wish I would have done it years ago. I miss out on so much because of my weight.

I just found out I have acid reflux says my surgeon - idk now cause I have 0 symptoms. I was set on the sleeve but am fine with the RNY. I'm about 100 lbs over my "ideal weight" and there's a 12lb difference with the RNY allowing me to loose more. I have an insane sweet tooth so i feel that the RNY would make/help me make better choices

I just found out I have acid reflux says my surgeon - idk how cause I have 0 symptoms. I was set on the sleeve but am fine with the RNY. I'm about 100 lbs over my "ideal weight" and there's a 12lb difference with the RNY allowing me to lose more. I have an insane sweet tooth so i feel that the RNY would make/help me make better choices. I almost talked myself out of the surgery but will be meeting with the surgeon this week. If the reflux is mild, I don't want to run the risk of making it worse with surgery because it's an unknown

I had bad reflux and had no idea until my Endoscopy I had done for surgery. He put me on omezprazole (Prilosec) daily capsule I take once a day and it took it all away. My surgeon let me know the sleeve can sometimes make it worse and let me know if I wanted to op to the bypass over the sleeve I could, but he was confident the sleeve would be fine as I continued with the Prilosec. I'm 7 days post op and they removed a hiatal hernia as well and have had no issues. He said I may have reflux my whole life or it may go away with weight loss. I'm ok taking a pill forever if me losing weight gets me to the healthier and off all my other meds and makes getting pregnant easier.

Reflux is a common thing, talk to your doctor and hear there thoughts

I also had no clue I had reflux but once they gave me the omezprazole I could tell a difference

I decided on the sleeve because I did not want dumping from the bypass and I do not want to take a large amount of pills for the rest of my life. I already have a hard enough time just taking a daily Vitamin. I also have diarrhea daily and I have read stories from bypass patients that have said that they have uncontrollable diarrhea since having the bypass surgery. That is a NO for me.

Sorry this app hasn't been friendly it I'm so glad that you have no regrets. I have some buyer remorse from my RNY since it's been an awful month but it's still better than a smoke death.